Retro Gamer Issue 104

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

noobish hat

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 104

Post by noobish hat » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:15 pm

So long as you don't slag off Valkyrie 17, I''ll be happy.

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:19 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:Kick Off 2 (and Player Manager 1) really IS a great game if you take the time to practice
What, for more than 20 years?

Scapegoat

Post by Scapegoat » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:21 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:Will RG be repeating this approach in future, i.e. letting someone who despises a whole game series use the magazine as a platform to air their wholly negative opinions?
Had the article been written by someone wholly positive about the Kick Off series would I have been justified to spit my dummy out, because I never liked the games? To avoid upsetting anyone perhaps you would be happier if they take any opinion out of the articles but then the mag may as well just re-print the game manuals.
HADDOCKEN!

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:38 pm

Scapegoat wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:Will RG be repeating this approach in future, i.e. letting someone who despises a whole game series use the magazine as a platform to air their wholly negative opinions?
Had the article been written by someone wholly positive about the Kick Off series would I have been justified to spit my dummy out, because I never liked the games? To avoid upsetting anyone perhaps you would be happier if they take any opinion out of the articles but then the mag may as well just re-print the game manuals.
No, because in this instance that would be equally silly... and I suspect you very well already know that.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:43 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
Scapegoat wrote:
No, because in this instance that would be equally silly... and I suspect you very well already know that.
Could you rephrase that in a way that makes some sort of sense in English, in the context of the question?

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:47 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:Will RG be repeating this approach in future, i.e. letting someone who despises a whole game series use the magazine as a platform to air their wholly negative ?
lol you're such a massive troll.
You obviously read a different kick off feature to me. Oh and comparing kick off to mario is like comparing a live fish to a gutted one. You're talking about a franchise that's widely regarded as having one or two half decent games, to some which are widely regarded as having the best releases in their genres. So if you're saying would we lie for funnsies, then no we wouldn't. oh and we've never said nice things about most 3d sonic games. But then that wouldn't help your precious argument would it?

Nice try though 8)

It's amazing that a few people cant tell the difference between opinion and fact. Still it's making for some entertaining reading.

If someone had genuinely valid reasons why all the mario games were a load of rubbish then of course we would print iT, I'd imagine it would be quite amusing. I'm not sure if anyone could put the opinions across in a valid justified way though... Because again, many regard most mario and zelda games to be perfect. The same cant be said for many other franchises...

noobish hat

Post by noobish hat » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:49 pm

Surely you wouldn't be reading a definitive article about a series you hate? I would have assumed that the biggest audience for this type of article would be fans of the series in question.

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:13 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:If someone had genuinely valid reasons why all the mario games were a load of rubbish then of course we would print iT, I'd imagine it would be quite amusing. I'm not sure if anyone could put the opinions across in a valid justified way though...
I'll have a shot at Zelda if you like...

:D

Scapegoat

Post by Scapegoat » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:18 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:[Oh and comparing kick off to mario is like comparing a live fish to a gutted one. You're talking about a franchise that's widely regarded as having one or two half decent games, to some which are widely regarded as having the best releases in their genres.

Actually that is a good comparison in a way, one that sort of makes my point. I've never liked the Mario games with the exception of Donkey Kong and (oddly) Mario Galaxy but I've never once felt the need to tell the mag or contributors how wrong they are for waxing lyrical about games that I really don't like.

Odd that... :roll:
HADDOCKEN!

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:19 pm

Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:If someone had genuinely valid reasons why all the mario games were a load of rubbish then of course we would print iT, I'd imagine it would be quite amusing. I'm not sure if anyone could put the opinions across in a valid justified way though...

Interesting...

Scapegoat

Post by Scapegoat » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:20 pm

Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:

I'd pay double the cover price to read that. :twisted:
HADDOCKEN!

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:21 pm

Scapegoat wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:[Oh and comparing kick off to mario is like comparing a live fish to a gutted one. You're talking about a franchise that's widely regarded as having one or two half decent games, to some which are widely regarded as having the best releases in their genres.

Actually that is a good comparison in a way, one that sort of makes my point. I've never liked the Mario games with the exception of Donkey Kong and (oddly) Mario Galaxy but I've never once felt the need to tell the mag or contributors how wrong they are for waxing lyrical about games that I really don't like.

I wouldn't get too het up about it. Everyone knows how dreamcastrip is on the forum. You shouldn't worry too much about what he says. I don't (for the most part).

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:23 pm

Actually. The more I think about it the more I like the idea of an alternate view on classic games. Didn't edge do something similar recently?

Scapegoat

Post by Scapegoat » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:24 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Scapegoat wrote:

I wouldn't get too het up about it. Everyone knows how dreamcastrip is on the forum. You shouldn't worry too much about what he says. I don't (for the most part).
I just wish some people would recognise good writing when they see it.
HADDOCKEN!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:26 pm

noobish hat wrote:Surely you wouldn't be reading a definitive article about a series you hate?
Can't stand footie, don't mind the odd footie videogame, but its rarely my first choice. Was glued to every word of the Kick Off article last night.

The Definitives are pretty good for series you either don't like or don't know, since it highlights all the ups and downs. From that you can pick and choose what to experience and gain a better insight into why fans like it and perhaps why you don't.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.