Retro Gamer Issue 104

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 104

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:15 am

AmigaJay wrote:
greenberet79 wrote:Only one copy was ever sold, the rest were copies.
Well it was even more so for Sensible Soccer in 1992 the height of piracy for the Amiga, i dont condone it now, i was young then but a school mate gave me a copy even before it came out :lol:
So you're condemning Stuart, but you were a filthy pirate :wink:
No wonder it didn't sell a million :)

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:16 am

AmigaJay wrote:Maybe i was off the mark, but even 1/2 million sales were big number back then as Darren implied, but that doesnt cover up the fact it was in the charts for weeks through word of mouth and great magazine reviews through the board, if you liked it or not.
Nobody was denying that. But Kick Off/KO2 had their success when there were hardly any Amigas around and you could get into the top 20 with a few hundred sales. Their day was already over by 1992, when chart-topping games started to shift decent numbers.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:26 am

Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:
AmigaJay wrote:Maybe i was off the mark, but even 1/2 million sales were big number back then as Darren implied, but that doesnt cover up the fact it was in the charts for weeks through word of mouth and great magazine reviews through the board, if you liked it or not.
Nobody was denying that. But Kick Off/KO2 had their success when there were hardly any Amigas around and you could get into the top 20 with a few hundred sales. Their day was already over by 1992, when chart-topping games started to shift decent numbers.
Hardly any amigas around? Really? Top 20 sales a few hundred titles?
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:33 am

slacey1070 wrote:
Hardly any amigas around? Really? Top 20 sales a few hundred titles?
Yes, hardly any Amigas around in 1989-1990. I got it now, it wasn't a biased article. It may just be sheer incompetence. I sincerely apologise.

Just finished the Electric Dreams article, btw... one of the best of the "from the archives" imo. Interesting stuff and story.
Last edited by Hiro on Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:35 am

slacey1070 wrote:Hardly any amigas around? Really? Top 20 sales a few hundred titles?
Yes. You could easily get into the Amiga Top 20 in 1991 with a few hundred sales. But hey, what would I know about it, right?

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:46 am

slacey1070 wrote:Hardly any amigas around? Really? Top 20 sales a few hundred titles?
Yes. You could easily get into the Amiga Top 20 in 1991 with a few hundred sales. But hey, what would I know about it, right?
I wasn't having a pop - just surprised that's all.... I seem to remember Amigas everywhere at the time KO2 came out...

No need to be so defensive Stu.... :wink:
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:25 am

Hiro wrote:Just finished the Electric Dreams article, btw... one of the best of the "from the archives" imo. Interesting stuff and story.
Gee thanks man, glad you liked it!
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:06 pm

jdanddiet wrote:
Hiro wrote:Just finished the Electric Dreams article, btw... one of the best of the "from the archives" imo. Interesting stuff and story.
Gee thanks man, glad you liked it!
I'd agree with that - good article.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:25 pm

Well there's been more talk about Kick Off in the last few pages than has been posted on this forum in the last 2 years. If it means that some people try the game out just to find out who's right and Stu's...I mean who's wrong, then all the better.

I guess it's like going to see an 'adult' comedian - stay away if it's likely to offend; and tbh anyone who knows Mr.Campbell knows just what was in the store for us (we're even warned in the opening headline and statements).

Kick Off 2 (and Player Manager 1) really IS a great game if you take the time to practice and get good at it, but just like Wizkid on the 'miggy there are tons of people who won't try it (or play it for long enough) so will never know - or perhaps they prefer Sensi, which really is an entirely different type of game (and also brilliant - well SWOS is anyway). Their loss, I suppose.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:28 pm

Will RG be repeating this approach in future, i.e. letting someone who despises a whole game series use the magazine as a platform to air their wholly negative opinions?

Would RG slaughter a big name game series across several pages if the publisher of said game series happens to be a company that pays to advertise in the magazine?

Will RG publish a similar article from a writer who despises a series such as the Sonic The Hedgehog, Super Mario Bros. or The Legend of Zelda franchises?

So will RG be content to only 'pick on the little guy' (e.g. Dino Dini/Anco) but not have the courage to dish out the same treatment to the big name publishers still in existence?
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

merman

Post by merman » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:39 pm

noobish hat wrote:Sorry, I wasn't referring to that last post of yours. More to the concept of ignoring all negative feedback based on the assumption that anybody who remains silent would only have positive things to say and therefore anything negative voiced here is automatically in the extreme minority. What's the point of a feedback thread if that's the case?

We've had this argument before. The feedback on this particular article has been predominantly negative and predominantly based on opinions. The magazine has taken on board a lot of feedback from readers on what they want to see - Darran just commissioned articles for the next couple of issues based purely on reader suggestions. But purely negative feedback does not help.

DreamcastRPG - we've just been told Anco were selling "millions" of copies of Kick Off, so how are they the little guy? Read the article again, it's not all negative (and does praise the Player Manager spin-offs). And as I said before, the Definitive Guide has always pointed out bad and bizarre entries in a games series whether Stuart likes it or not.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:59 pm

merman wrote:DreamcastRPG - we've just been told Anco were selling "millions" of copies of Kick Off, so how are they the little guy? Read the article again, it's not all negative (and does praise the Player Manager spin-offs). And as I said before, the Definitive Guide has always pointed out bad and bizarre entries in a games series whether Stuart likes it or not.
mirmon - Semantics aside I'd appreciate seeing if RG has the courage of its own convictions in commissioning similar such articles in future from a writer who largely slates a franchise from a big name publisher that's still trading today who happens to advertise in the magazine. I listed franchises such as Sonic The Hedgehog, Super Mario Bros. and The Legend of Zelda as they fit that profile.

With respect, you're not in a position to answer the question as, I assume, only Darran is.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

noobish hat

Post by noobish hat » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:04 pm

merman wrote:
noobish hat wrote:Sorry, I wasn't referring to that last post of yours. More to the concept of ignoring all negative feedback based on the assumption that anybody who remains silent would only have positive things to say and therefore anything negative voiced here is automatically in the extreme minority. What's the point of a feedback thread if that's the case?

We've had this argument before. The feedback on this particular article has been predominantly negative and predominantly based on opinions. The magazine has taken on board a lot of feedback from readers on what they want to see - Darran just commissioned articles for the next couple of issues based purely on reader suggestions. But purely negative feedback does not help.
So what's the reasoning behind Future Classic being cut this month, if not a reasoned reaction to negative feedback on too much modern coverage?

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:05 pm

I'm just glad there are no massive rabid fans of RamJam's Explorer out there after the slating I gave it :shock:
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:14 pm

noobish hat wrote: So what's the reasoning behind Future Classic being cut this month, if not a reasoned reaction to negative feedback on too much modern coverage?
I believe Darran already stated it was dropped to include the Game Cube article