Retro Gamer Issue 104

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 104

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:16 am

AmigaJay wrote:millions of sales
Really? Millions of sales? Is that correct? I find it amazingly hard to believe. But then I'll admit my knowledge about 16-bit computers is rather limited. I know games sell in their millions now, but I'll be genuinely impressed if a Kick Off game shifted a million copies (that weren't pirated).
Not a dig, I'd genuinely like to know. In fact I'm going to look for the best selling Amiga games now.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:39 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Really? Millions of sales? Is that correct? I find it amazingly hard to believe. But then I'll admit my knowledge about 16-bit computers is rather limited. I know games sell in their millions now, but I'll be genuinely impressed if a Kick Off game shifted a million copies (that weren't pirated).
Not a dig, I'd genuinely like to know. In fact I'm going to look for the best selling Amiga games now.
I'd be interested too! Wouldn't surprise me if it did sell at least over a million as a series - look how many formats it appeared on and how many titles there were.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:48 am

slacey1070 wrote:
I'd be interested too! Wouldn't surprise me if it did sell at least over a million as a series - look how many formats it appeared on and how many titles there were.
Good point I was thinking purely from an Amiga point of view.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:01 am

[/quote]
Good point I was thinking purely from an Amiga point of view.[/quote]

Solely Amiga? Unlikely I would have thought...
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:12 am

Yes i meant the series as a whole.

Considering the entire Amiga range sold just under 6 million units from 1986-1994 i highly doubt ANY Amiga game recorded 1 million units!

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:19 am

Really? Millions of sales? Is that correct? I find it amazingly hard to believe.
Not even REMOTELY close. Half a million, for the entire 15-year series, across all formats combined, would be nearer the mark.

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:24 am

Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:
Really? Millions of sales? Is that correct? I find it amazingly hard to believe.
Not even REMOTELY close. Half a million, for the entire 15-year series, across all formats combined, would be nearer the mark.
Well unless we get some sales figures we wont know for sure either way, and proper sales figures back then are alot harder to trace then they are now.

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:26 am

AmigaJay wrote:Well unless we get some sales figures we wont know for sure either way, and proper sales figures back then are alot harder to trace then they are now.
They weren't hard to trace when you were the editor of the country's best-selling Amiga games magazine, though. Based on the figures that were known at the time and what's known about the later releases, half a million is a generous estimate. "Millions" is absolute nonsense.

noobish hat

Post by noobish hat » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:29 am

I didn't realise the thread was only for positive feedback.

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:34 am

noobish hat wrote:I didn't realise the thread was only for positive feedback.
I didn't realise replying to something constituted censorship.

noobish hat

Post by noobish hat » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:38 am

Sorry, I wasn't referring to that last post of yours. More to the concept of ignoring all negative feedback based on the assumption that anybody who remains silent would only have positive things to say and therefore anything negative voiced here is automatically in the extreme minority. What's the point of a feedback thread if that's the case?

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:39 am

AmigaJay wrote:Well unless we get some sales figures we wont know for sure either way, and proper sales figures back then are alot harder to trace then they are now.
They weren't hard to trace when you were the editor of the country's best-selling Amiga games magazine, though. Based on the figures that were known at the time and what's known about the later releases, half a million is a generous estimate. "Millions" is absolute nonsense.
Maybe i was off the mark, but even 1/2 million sales were big number back then as Darren implied, but that doesnt cover up the fact it was in the charts for weeks through word of mouth and great magazine reviews through the board, if you liked it or not.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:40 am

Only one copy was ever sold, the rest were copies.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:50 am

greenberet79 wrote:Only one copy was ever sold, the rest were copies.
Well it was even more so for Sensible Soccer in 1992 the height of piracy for the Amiga, i dont condone it now, i was young then but a school mate gave me a copy even before it came out :lol:

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:14 am

AmigaJay wrote:
Maybe i was off the mark, but even 1/2 million sales were big number back then as Darren implied, but that doesnt cover up the fact it was in the charts for weeks through word of mouth and great magazine reviews through the board, if you liked it or not.
But sales figures aren't necessarily an indication of whether something is good or not.
Take 50 Shades Of Grey for example. Stupidly popular, on par to be the biggest selling paperback of the year and it's an amateurishly written novel with a (let's say interesting) hook. The same happens in the videogame charts, with mind numbingly dull games getting ridiculous and often underserved praise because they're almost always overrated.