Retro Gamer Issue 104

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

Retro Gamer Issue 104

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:51 am

Contents include
40 Years Of Pong
Back To Skool Celebration
Electric Dreams
Kick Off
10 GameCube Gems
Lords Of Chaos
The Making Of Tekken
And much, much more

Here's a sneak peek at the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHwMUErgrJ0

jdanddiet

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 104

Post by jdanddiet » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:09 am

Daz have you started smoking cigars or are you ill? :wink:
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:16 am

Looks like it's going to be a mostly fantastic issue! 8)

I know I am going to once again HATE Paul Davies column though . . . .

noobish hat

Post by noobish hat » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:33 am

What! Gamecube!? Retro!? NOOOOOOOOTHAT'SMYWORSTNIGHTMARE!!!

No, actually it seems nice. 10 year anniversary, 2 pages. Not too little, not too much, just a nice doff of the cap.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:24 pm

Aside from the Vectrex article (ahem! :lol: ), then an interview with Nick Jones is definitely great, always wanted to find out more about the guy who did some terrific C64 versions of Speccy games.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:16 pm

Jagfest_UK wrote:Looks like it's going to be a mostly fantastic issue! 8)

Yep, looks like it might be another excellent issue. :D

I noticed that too! Given that he bizarrely credited the Speccy in having "... bought Nintendo time to perform its famous rescue mission" (Issue 102) then perhaps this upcoming column in Issue 104 will see him crediting the Jaguar controller in paving the way for the Wii U Gamepad. :lol:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:22 pm

Notice mikeb's I ball article got in at last :D
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:04 pm

Cover looks like a good 'un. Smart.

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:45 pm

Hopefully in the mail tomorrow? Already looking forward to the Dungeon Master feature in 105.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:52 am

Received in the post this morning. Had a quick look through & there appears to be a good mix of articles again. Just two things for me to comment on.

Firstly, excellent screen grabs for the Pifall: Mayan Adventure review, however, the Flying Shark picture on pages 94-95 is just awful. I know Spectrum graphics aren't the most aesthetically pleasing at times but that is not a good picture. The majority of those who didn't own ZX Spectrums at the time would probably struggle to make out what is going on in the picture itself.

Secondly, something I have thought about in recent months is scrapping the back to the 80's / 90's articles which are getting a bit samey now. It feels like they've been doing the rounds for too long. I wish I could suggest something that could replace it but at the moment my mind is blank.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

Stainy

Post by Stainy » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:38 am

Wow! this was fast!!

right.. it`s got issues!! regarding the Kick Off article..

and there`s me thinking Stuart Campbell was all knowing when it came to Kick Off..

I`ll add to this as I start reading the article.. this stuck out like a sore thumb!

1: Kick Off COllection ( Spectrum, Amiga? ) He states that the only version he ever found was for the Spectrum..
What a numpty ! :roll: I have this for the Amiga, ST, C64, Spectrum and Amstrad

2:

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:51 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:
Jagfest_UK wrote:Looks like it's going to be a mostly fantastic issue! 8)

Yep, looks like it might be another excellent issue. :D

I noticed that too! Given that he bizarrely credited the Speccy in having "... bought Nintendo time to perform its famous rescue mission" (Issue 102) then perhaps this upcoming column in Issue 104 will see him crediting the Jaguar controller in paving the way for the Wii U Gamepad. :lol:
My copy arrived this morning. So the column concerned states,

"You have to draw the line somewhere, though, and the Atari Jaguar controller asked too much of even the most hardened gamers in the mid-Nineties. I have no idea what all those little buttons were for..."

So then, criticism of a product without having any idea what the product's features were there for. Okaaaay...

At least 'Back To The Nineties' says something sensible about the Jaguar/Jaguar CD though. :D
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:56 am

DreamcastRIP wrote: My copy arrived this morning. So

"You have to draw the line somewhere, though, and the Atari Jaguar controller asked too much of even the most hardened gamers in the mid-Nineties. I have no idea what all those little buttons were for..."

So then, criticism of a product without having any idea what the product's features were there for. Okaaaay...

At least 'Back To The Nineties' says something sensible about the Jaguar/Jaguar CD though. :D
I'm unsure what your point is here. The criticism was that he had no idea what those buttons were for & you've just repeated it in your post as a criticism of what he was highlighting.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:11 am

Nemesis wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote: My copy arrived this morning. So

I'm unsure what your point is here. The criticism was that he had no idea what those buttons were for & you've just repeated it in your post as a criticism of what he was highlighting.
The writer appears to have criticised a product without having any idea what the product's features were there for, i.e. it's like he's stating that as a result of his own ignorance the product wasn't much good. Some Jaguar games, in common with many current-gen games of today (and since PS1 onwards, it could be said), feature controls that utilise numerous different buttons on the joypad. Most folk seem to get by just fine with this but the writer seems not to when using the Jaguar controller. I wouldn't wish to assume, as it may be the case the writer experiences difficulty in playing games on various different consoles which use numerous buttons on the joypad. If that's the case then why single out the Jaguar controller?

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:23 am

I seem to remember he was the guy who awarded the mentioned Atari Karts on the Jag 18% in C&VG, a game that dosn't even use the keypad!

Anyway it looks like a fantastic issue and I was particually pleased to see myself in the magazine again "Jag evangelist" eh? I like the sound of that . . . .