GamesTM acquired by Imagine

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Crunchy

GamesTM acquired by Imagine

Post by Crunchy » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:38 pm

http://www.mcvuk.com/newsitem.php?id=729

Will this have any effect on RG? Will the retro section in GamesTM remain a seperate thing or will it just feature parts of the current RG, a sort of RG Lite?

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:08 pm

Ha! I was right!

/does a little dance
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:35 pm

I've no idea guys. It's far too early to tell what's going to happen, but I'd definately need to work closely with whoever is managing the section. We don't want to duplicate everything...

andy vaisey

Re:

Post by andy vaisey » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:53 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:We don't want to duplicate everything...
Certainly not! I certainly don't want Imagine going t*ts up either because of over expansion too quickly... :? :?:

chinnyhill10

Re:

Post by chinnyhill10 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:51 pm

andy vaisey wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:We don't want to duplicate everything...
Certainly not! I certainly don't want Imagine going t*ts up either because of over expansion too quickly... :? :?:
Good luck to Imagine! They have a good attitude and seem like a nice bunch. Readers do appreciate magazines put together by people with a passion for the subject and I hope Games TM will thrive in sunny Bournemouth.

Expansion isn't a problem, it's a good thing. Much less risky buying an existing mag than it is launching a new title and that magazine is a gap in the portfolio for the company.

Good luck to Imagine. Let's hope Games TM is as successful for you as Your Sinclair was for Future. But note the lessons of what happened when Emap brought ACE (remember that? Nobody apart from me does!)

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:25 pm

surely I think it would be in Imagines best interest to ditch the retro section in Games TM as it potentially reduces sales of Retrogamer. Why give someone everything they need in one mag when you can get them to buy two?
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:53 pm

Indeed, this is what I'm thinking is most likely to happen.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:57 pm

I would think a more likely scenario would be to carry on as if nothing has happened, but ensure there's little duplication between Retro Gamer and Retro.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

chinnyhill10

Re:

Post by chinnyhill10 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:09 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:I would think a more likely scenario would be to carry on as if nothing has happened, but ensure there's little duplication between Retro Gamer and Retro.
Working together and some clever cross promotion is what I assume would be on the cards. Don't want them at each others throats like two certain sister Amiga magazines were rumoured to be behind the scenes.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:09 pm

blimey! the town i was born in, grew up in and live next to now is awash with retro fever!

any jobs going darren! :wink:

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:46 pm

I'm pleased that Imagine have bought GamesTM - I've bought every issue and think its easily the best multi-format mag on the market.

Not sure how the retro section will work (alongside RG) but we'll see what happens. :)

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:08 am

I'd also like to see Retro ditched and just promote RG in GamesTM.
I hope Retro Anthology 2 is on the cards very quickly though as I stopped getting GamesTM when RG came out.

Dizrythmia

Post by Dizrythmia » Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:18 am

Might take a few more releases of RG before they have enough to arrange another Anthology.

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:50 am

It would be nice to see another GamesTM special covering the retro section from issues 24-36 but I'm not sure if this would be possible?

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re:

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:36 am

LeeT wrote:It would be nice to see another GamesTM special covering the retro section from issues 24-36 but I'm not sure if this would be possible?
Why not, I'd imagine Imagine own the rights to all the back issues. Hell, we could do a gamesTM/Retro Gamer anthology. How twisted would that be :shock: