The Missing Retro Gamer features

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

the_hawk

Re: The Missing Retro Gamer features

Post by the_hawk » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:39 am

The Beans wrote: I'd like to know why it's so difficult to get the massive amount of old games into stores. Why is it such an apparently impossible task? Thousands of games that are still worth a play and we can't legally buy them. If I walk into Asda I can choose from a large amount of old music tracks and films at low prices. So why can I buy Hits Of The Eighties from a shelf stacked with such products for music but not Hits Of The Eighties for games?
Absolutely, aside from The Midway compilations, the Capcom Compilations, the Taito Compilations, the Atari Compilations, the SNK Compilations, the Namco Compilations, the Sega Compilations, the Activision Compilations, the Konami Collections, Virtual Console, Steam, Xbox Live, PSN, Plug & Play devices, ios App Store, Google Play for Android, Good Old Games, Ebay, The Atari Age store, Console Passion and the myriad of independent retro game stores there's just no way of legally getting hold of these old games.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:05 pm

Its still a pretty small selection from the thousands available though, and all of them in individual bundles.

Where's the option like in the Apple store to go and buy an individual song/game?

The bundles probably offer better value, but why not let me mix and match and pay my 69p for a game each from all of those publishers under one roof? And why have it as a system exclusive disc?

Its technically fairly simple to create a store that could stock pretty much any old game and have it run on any platform, so once you buy it it won't matter if you're on PC, iOS or PS3, it just needs an alternate front end for the emulation package to pick the games you've bought and launch them on the device.

One store, any device. The userbase could be huge and potentially sales much higher. Our little niche of players paying £20 for a disc could pale in comparison to the much wider market who wouldn't balk at 69p for a single game, so the numbers could lead to greater profit overall.

Game Room was a start but they messed it up. GoG.com is much closer, if only they were cross platform and could reach the console market.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Fawltykog

Post by Fawltykog » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:42 pm

merman wrote:A big feature on Novagen and Paul Woakes would be one of my most wanted articles...
I second that sentiment, hard to believe that the world's finest magazine hasn't so far given these classics a going over!

khisanth

Post by khisanth » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:11 pm

How about best hidden secrets/easter eggs?

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:17 pm

khisanth wrote:How about best hidden secrets/easter eggs?
Bloody fantastic idea, khisanth. :D

I'd have thought some input from the games' coders would help add meat to the bones as without that it'd perhaps too closely resemble what one could likely already find out on the internet.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:19 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
Bloody fantastic idea, khisanth. :D

I'd have thought some input from the games' coders would help add meat to the bones as without that it'd perhaps too closely resemble what one could likely already find out on the internet.
I have actually just started posting some You Tube videos for Lynx Easter Eggs because there are loads of amazingly good ones and no videos out there of them.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:44 pm

Was it Zarlor Mercenary or Xenophobe which had the hidden "art" programme?
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:59 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Was it Zarlor Mercenary or Xenophobe which had the hidden "art" programme?
Its Zarlor that has the Life and the art program. Other include the Mandlebot generator in Chip's Challenge, mini-games in Electrocop, Galaxian in Lexis, secret level in Gates Of Zendocon, secret warp in Klax and textured 3D mode in Battlezone 2000.

merman

Post by merman » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:46 am

That was on page 202* of the Octember edition, didn't you read it?

*Obscure Newsfield reference. But yes, Easter Eggs would make a good feature. Or "games within games", from Galaga while Ridge Racer loaded, to Gavin Raeburn who used to hide mini-games in his Codemasters releases.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:50 pm

Jagfest_UK wrote:
TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Was it Zarlor Mercenary or Xenophobe which had the hidden "art" programme?
Its Zarlor that has the Life and the art program. Other include the Mandlebot generator in Chip's Challenge, mini-games in Electrocop, Galaxian in Lexis, secret level in Gates Of Zendocon, secret warp in Klax and textured 3D mode in Battlezone 2000.
Think I've found that level in Gates Of Zendocon once - the one with all the giant heads? Best Lynx game ever :D
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:20 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:
Jagfest_UK wrote:
Think I've found that level in Gates Of Zendocon once - the one with all the giant heads? Best Lynx game ever :D
Yep! Thats the one!

webding

Post by webding » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:59 pm

merman wrote:

That was on page 202* of the Octember edition, didn't you read it?

*Obscure Newsfield reference. But yes, Easter Eggs would make a good feature. Or "games within games", from Galaga while Ridge Racer loaded, to Gavin Raeburn who used to hide mini-games in his Codemasters releases.
Yeah, I think this has been suggested before, and is a good one.

Also, sports games. I've moaned about it before, and I think there were a few decent ideas in here: http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =1&t=28617 (surely there's some sort of Olympic-based coverage coming up? Maybe the Daley feature should have been saved...)

merman

Post by merman » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:16 am

The Daley Thompson feature is in issue 105 to tie in with the Olympics...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

webding

Post by webding » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:33 am

Yeah, I don't know what I was on about there. This month's issue has arrived and made me look a tool, with its big Kick Off feature, and advert for next month's Daley piece. That thread still has some good ideas though; spors games, on the whole, are massively overlooked in RG.

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:01 pm

Call Of Duty - The Retro Years