The Missing Retro Gamer features

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re: The Missing Retro Gamer features

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:02 pm

Eric wrote:Wreck It Ralph - The retro characters and their games.
This is most likely going to be our main news story this month. The trailer looks amazing.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:08 pm

I would still love to see a making of....Retro Gamer, how does the magazine come together, all the problems, that kind of thing...would interest me anyway.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:11 pm

IronMaidenRule wrote:I would still love to see a making of....Retro Gamer, how does the magazine come together, all the problems, that kind of thing...would interest me anyway.
that was done a while back, issue 50 I think
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:18 pm

fujiHunter wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote: I respect your eventual honesty in admitting having based what you said "on the words of the pirates themselves". I'm also well aware of some of the online locations where some of these guys still meet today.
Eventual honesty......?
You make it sound like I intentionally misled/deceived in the first instance! I apologise if you think so. My initial comments were typed quickly as an article I would like to read about. That is all, nothing more! I'm the first to admit that I'm no expert on this topic!!... which is possibly why I'd like to see an article on it in RG.
DreamcastRIP wrote:In fact some of most vile and pitiful individuals I've ever had the misfortune to encounter online happen to be members of these games cracking collectives. That's not my reason for referring to all such groups as scum though.
Intriguing. You clearly have very strong feelings/opinions on this subject. May I enquire why?
I could and should have phrased that better :oops: ! Please accept my humble apologies. :oops:

My strong feelings pertain to what the aforementioned games cracking crews did, their generally elevated opinion of themselves and their 'achievements' plus the wider effects their illegal output had on the industry. However, I really don't wish to go down that well trodden road again as piracy debates on this forum go nowhere fast and achieve nothing.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Eric

Post by Eric » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:32 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Eric wrote:Wreck It Ralph - The retro characters and their games.
This is most likely going to be our main news story this month. The trailer looks amazing.
Robotnik and Bowser in the same room & Q*Bert gets a speaking part! :D
Image Image Image Image

merman

Post by merman » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:13 pm

jdanddiet wrote:Here's one to rush: a feature on games based on Olympics (or is this in the pipeline)?
I did pitch a feature on Multi-event games, but there is something relevant coming up in issue 105
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Spacepatrol

Post by Spacepatrol » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:57 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
fujiHunter wrote:[*]I'd also like to see an exploration of piracy in the 16-bit software era (Atari ST & Amiga). Covering legendary (& infamous) cracking groups such as Automation, Medway Boys, Pompey Pirates etc etc...
I personally wouldn't wish to see such scum receive any attention whatsoever in Retro Gamer.
Aren't DICE (Digital Illusions) former Crackers/Demo Sceners 'The Silents'? It would be interesting to read about their transition to become part of Electronic Arts

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:01 pm

I guess I'd like to see an article on why retro isn't as big as it could be. In the wake of failures such as Game Room and the likely failure of the Game Gadget I'd like to know why it's so difficult to get the massive amount of old games into stores. Why is it such an apparently impossible task? Thousands of games that are still worth a play and we can't legally buy them. If I walk into Asda I can choose from a large amount of old music tracks and films at low prices. So why can I buy Hits Of The Eighties from a shelf stacked with such products for music but not Hits Of The Eighties for games?
The magazine talks to retro game makers and IP holders on a regular basis and is in a great postion to find out from real sources why the publishers can't be arsed or just can't be reached and why it's such an apparent pain to get anything going at all. Even taking into consideration the diversity of platforms and licenses etc surely we should be seeing more retro in Asda. What gives?
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:12 pm

TBH I think you are talking nonsense.

The are hundreds of places to buy retro games, mostly online but still.

Retro is as big as its ever been its just that the serious retro gamers buy the original games and play them on real hardware not tat like the Game Gadget using poor emulation.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:26 pm

the_hawk wrote:"Guilty Pleasures" threads pop up from time to time & I'd love to see an article where various writers picked an "infamous" game that in their eyes gets unfairly universally slated and explain why it doesn't deserve the criticism levelled at it.

It could be called something like "Case for the Defence" (or preferably something better than that)
Smashing idea that. Bubsy the Bobcat gets far more hate than he deserves :D
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

mlucifersam

Post by mlucifersam » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:53 pm

The Beans wrote:I guess I'd like to see an article on why retro isn't as big as it could be. In the wake of failures such as Game Room and the likely failure of the Game Gadget I'd like to know why it's so difficult to get the massive amount of old games into stores. Why is it such an apparently impossible task? Thousands of games that are still worth a play and we can't legally buy them. If I walk into Asda I can choose from a large amount of old music tracks and films at low prices. So why can I buy Hits Of The Eighties from a shelf stacked wproducts for music but not Hits Of The Eighties for games?
The magazine talks to retro game makers and IP holders on a regular basis and is in a great postion to find out from real sources why the publishers can't be arsed or just can't be reached and why it's such an apparent pain to get anything going at all. Even taking into consideration the diversity of platforms and licenses etc surely we should be seeing more retro in Asda. What gives?
I think that's a great point your making here. If it wasn't for second hand sellers these gamed would be unobtainable in their original guises.
Mark R. Jones

Ocean Software Ltd FB page: http://www.facebook.com/OceanSoftwareLtd
Ultimate Play The Game FB page: https://www.facebook.com/ultimateptg

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:00 pm

Jagfest_UK wrote:TBH I think you are talking nonsense.

The are hundreds of places to buy retro games, mostly online but still.

Retro is as big as its ever been its just that the serious retro gamers buy the original games and play them on real hardware not tat like the Game Gadget using poor emulation.
Actually, retro is bigger than it's ever been. But it still isn't anything like as big as "retro" is in other medias, where the commercial use of back catalogues is wide scale, completely mainstream and absolutely the norm.

But then anybody who calls themselves a"serious retro gamer" would probably want to keep the hobby nice and niche so they can still feel like a big fish in a really small pond and a legend in their own mind. Go for it mate. You're a legend. :lol:
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:29 pm

The Beans wrote:But then anybody who calls themselves a"serious retro gamer" would probably want to keep the hobby nice and niche so they can still feel like a big fish in a really small pond and a legend in their own mind. Go for it mate. You're a legend. :lol:
Eh? :?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:09 am

Its pretty clear that's a dig at your air of superiority regarding emulation over the real thing, the suggestion that you're only a 'serious retro gamer' if you play using real hardware and anyone else is a clown.

It may not be how you intended it to sound, but that's how I read it too.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:35 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Its pretty clear that's a dig at your air of superiority regarding emulation over the real thing, the suggestion that you're only a 'serious retro gamer' if you play using real hardware and anyone else is a clown.

It may not be how you intended it to sound, but that's how I read it too.
That's how I read The Beans' post too. Sounds like he's still crying following the recent goings on in the GameGadget thread! :lol:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac