The Missing Retro Gamer features

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

jdanddiet

Re: The Missing Retro Gamer features

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:49 am

You're right, there was an archives feature on bizarre creations in issue 114.

I interviewed Martyn Chudley and Mike Waterworth for a behind the scenes on wiz and Liz in gamestm 158.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

David

Post by David » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:28 pm

Tattoo Assassins!

please!

Eric

Post by Eric » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:47 pm

Same Game - Different Game

An article that highlights those games that use the same code or engine in several games or even those games that are really just a reskin. The likes of Chase HQ/Wec Le Mans/Burnin' Rubber on ZX/CPC are all linked together.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:21 am

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:14 pm

Has there been a feature on the history of the "open world"? Since pretty much every game incorporates this these days I'd love to see a feature running down some of the early examples etc. Be really interesting.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:19 am

LAIS wrote:Has there been a feature on the history of the "open world"? Since pretty much every game incorporates this these days I'd love to see a feature running down some of the early examples etc. Be really interesting.
This could be good, there's some diversity in early examples, like Elite, Skool Daze and Turbo Esprit on the 8 bits, through to stuff like the Midwinter games on the 16 bits. No doubt there are some interesting games that are less obvious than those big names.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:39 am

[open world]
Antiriad2097 wrote: No doubt there are some interesting games that are less obvious than those big names.
Darran or someone should kick this off with requests for games that could apply. Back in the day you never really though of it this way.
How about Raid on Bungeling Bay, Spelunker (the original one), Siren City, Bag Man, Rambo, Tau Ceti, Action Biker? To some degree at least?

Snarko

Post by Snarko » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:41 am

I'd REALLY like a list of top-50 or 100 arcade games ever! From Retrogamer staff or voted by us readers, I don't care. Please, please, please. :D

- I know it has been a top25 list in RG54, nice list but it seems a bit old now and are missing so many entries.
- And I know there was recently a top150 games ever.
- But a list of arcade-games-only would be just awesome! I can google these kind of lists, sure, but I only trust Retrogamer!!!

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:29 pm

Snarko wrote:I'd REALLY like a list of top-50 or 100 arcade games ever! From Retrogamer staff or voted by us readers, I don't care. Please, please, please. :D

- I know it has been a top25 list in RG54, nice list but it seems a bit old now and are missing so many entries.
- And I know there was recently a top150 games ever.
- But a list of arcade-games-only would be just awesome! I can google these kind of lists, sure, but I only trust Retrogamer!!!
This could be cool in an upcoming issue. We had the Arcade issue a few back now...perhaps a 'Part 2' feature to that one with the poll included in an issue. And maybe some visits to modern arcades that feature Retro cabs

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:40 pm

I'm getting forgetful in my old age so not sure if I suggested it before here... I would love to see a Retro gamers travellers guide to Japan and its very famous gaming district. I'm sure many of us have this dream of visiting if we haven't done so, and some of the lucky few that have would no doubt have plenty of pics to contribute. Occasionally on this forum someone comes back from Japan and makes us all jealous with some fab pics and stories :)
Could feature best arcades to play at and/or a tour of such, best places to buy classic consoles/titles etc, perhaps even visits to gaming companies while I'm dreaming and adding stuff :wink:

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Sat May 14, 2016 3:33 pm

New kickstarter for box art should be worth mentioning: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/py ... ocumentary

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Sat May 14, 2016 3:52 pm

One thing just struck me as missing in modern(?) RG; I know Darren has put the kabosh on in-depth tech spec features, but another "brainy" part of games that could be explored more is game design. As a 'profession' or as an analysis tool of games or genres.
Now, this would need to have someone knowledgeable to write about it, to give a regular column, or to interview and use for reference for an ocational series "The Analyst is in - we talk about devices and desires with Xx Yy. Today: Fairness in games". And you could write lots about how things were different now and then and how old and new games are experienced today.
Why did we accept pixel perfect jumping in MM, why did everybody sing the praises for PoP with its animation cycles that had to be gone through 100% before reacting, and all those other tiny little things that 20/20 make you want to change?

merman

Post by merman » Sun May 15, 2016 10:53 am

NorthWay wrote:One thing just struck me as missing in modern(?) RG; I know Darren has put the kabosh on in-depth tech spec features, but another "brainy" part of games that could be explored more is game design. As a 'profession' or as an analysis tool of games or genres.
Now, this would need to have someone knowledgeable to write about it, to give a regular column, or to interview and use for reference for an ocational series "The Analyst is in - we talk about devices and desires with Xx Yy. Today: Fairness in games". And you could write lots about how things were different now and then and how old and new games are experienced today.
Why did we accept pixel perfect jumping in MM, why did everybody sing the praises for PoP with its animation cycles that had to be gone through 100% before reacting, and all those other tiny little things that 20/20 make you want to change?
One or two of Graeme's articles have been more technical, and the Homebrew column touches on techniques and tricks. But I can't see a lot of interest in that sort of thing.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon May 16, 2016 7:13 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
LAIS wrote:Has there been a feature on the history of the "open world"? Since pretty much every game incorporates this these days I'd love to see a feature running down some of the early examples etc. Be really interesting.
This could be good, there's some diversity in early examples, like Elite, Skool Daze and Turbo Esprit on the 8 bits, through to stuff like the Midwinter games on the 16 bits. No doubt there are some interesting games that are less obvious than those big names.
I think an 'Open World' feature is a good idea. Lords of Midnight is another one with a completely open map, although you could say that about a lot of strategy games. Depends if you want to particularly look for real-time movement. Explorer had an enormous procedurally-generated map but totally tedious gameplay - endlessly searching it with a very low needle:haystack ratio!

One that may surprise people is Wreckless:The Yakuza Missions on the XBox. A sadly overlooked game for its simplistic gameplay and cheap vehicle handling, it was actually (a) loads of silly fun, (b) had incredible lighting, reflection and particle effects that put other games to shame (the PS2 version lacked much of this and was dreadful) and (c) it actually had a huge open-world map. It was just the checkpoint-based nature of the missions meant you rarely had time to deviate from a particular route, though if you used your knowledge of the city from other missions you could find and collect numerous hidden bonus vehicles.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Fri May 20, 2016 8:20 am

So I'm late to the party again it seems, but I hope you are keeping track of the podcasts over at http://atariage.com/forums/topic/236768 ... on-thread/