The Missing Retro Gamer features

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Hiro

Re: The Missing Retro Gamer features

Post by Hiro » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:10 am

I'd really love to read an interviev with Paul Woakes and to know more about Novagen 8)

And what about an article on the Front Mission franchise?

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:11 am

Don't miss out on this one (advance warning) http://amiga30.com/

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:19 pm

EDGE just did a feature on ROM hacking.

How about you take a look at the other recent trend of "hostile ports"? (i.e. fan ports of games from machines using the same cpu) The A8 crowd has had a few, and recently it has bloomed on the Amiga too.

crusto

Post by crusto » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:03 pm

I want a feature on cakes.

Eat your nans pants

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:31 am

crusto wrote:I want a feature on cakes.
:lol: 'Ace of Cakes' has done some cool gaming cakes over the years :)

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:21 am

How about a few articles about "nonsense"?

Insane game names ("Attack of the killer tomatoes" anyone? "Nuclear mutant aliens from Mars" IIRC too)?
Totally oddball themes (cutting grass: Hovver Bovver, making burgers: Burger Time)?
Manuals/stories that were concocted while unsuitable for driving?
Graphics that makes you go whaaaat? (Another chance to get in Matthew Smith... oh, and Jeff Minter of course)
Game rules/logic that you desperately try to figure out (did anyone get a grip on "Galactic" by Stavros Fasoulas?)

Doesn't have to be anything big, could just be a small filler piece from time to time, perhaps only covering a single game.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:39 am

Just an add on request to follow the little discussion in the Issue 132 feedback topic... Would enjoy seeing some coverage on that little wonder machine that is NEC's PC Engine.
Kieran mentioned he was indeed working on a feature atm, that'd be great to see appear in the mag :)

I've mentioned it before- But an idea for a feature I reckon would be great would be a feature of 'machine evolution'- A feature that shows how far a specific system's software progresses during it's lifespan. Feature a console/computer, show a couple of very early games along with a couple of the later games to see what magic programmers managed to squeeze out of a system, and showing the systems in question achieving more than their specs were supposed to :)

Charco

Post by Charco » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:45 pm

Like Street Fighter II Champion Edition on PC Engine!

But yeah, we really need more on the PC Engine, such a great system. There is a wealth of history there, it's success in Japan in stark contrast to how badly it did in the US, being the first ever CD based home console with the release of the CD ROM add on, the hardware evolution to the combined Hucard and CD playing Duo and the failed SuperGrafx. This is without even getting to the awesome games!

crusto

Post by crusto » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:50 pm

The PC engine is my favourite console, and for me was way ahead of its time. There's no where near enough coverage of it (imo), and it absolutely spanks the arse of the likes of the 7800, lynx, NES, SMS etc which receive far more. So many people missed out on it due to NEC's foolishness and could really do with being educated on its sheer excellence. Granted, interviews etc may be harder to come by due to its Japanese heritage. But so what! Work HARDER for your money journos :wink:

Eat your nans pants

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:25 am

I know you did cover it slightly in an interview with Ian Livingstone, but I'd love a full article on the crossover between gamebooks and video games in the 1980's. As well as Fighting Fantasy, you had games based on the Lone Wolf, Way of the Tiger and Falcon series. you also had the 'Micro Adventure' series that had a story which at certain points required you to program and play a BASIC game to advance the plot. I owned a few of these, but being American they only featured type ins for machines like the C64, Apple 2, Atari 8bits and The TRS-80, and I was an Amstrad owner.

Also on a similar bent, computer game remakes of board games would be interesting. Hero Quest and Space Crusade being the obvious ones.

Gibberish Driftwood

Post by Gibberish Driftwood » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:43 am

The Bluffers Guide articles are one of my favourite parts of the magazine.
Would you please consider making a Bluffers Guide to interactive fiction/text adventures?
Ken sent me.
Do the Kirby dance: (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')>

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:57 pm

Was there a feature on Zaxxon?

Anyway, the _real_ point was if it could be interesting to write up something about why there are so many different C= 64 versions of it?
How did that happen? Oh, and much the same thing with Congo Bongo I believe? (I see a certain connection there...)

Boulder

Post by Boulder » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:44 pm

A forgotten game, known as King of Dragon Pass, is getting a sequel in the distant future. How about taking a look at the original game since it really was a one-of-a-kind thing.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/10 ... ore-245657

craigy132

Post by craigy132 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:16 pm

Elite's 'scooby doo' would make a great article. From the first adverts and screenshots in crash and zzap, which dubbed it as 'the worlds first computer cartoon' it created much anticipation among the kids of the day. Then after postponement after postponement what was finally delivered was nothing like a computer cartoon. So the behind the scenes goings on would make a great article imho! ( also US golds naff world cup fiasco would be a good story )

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:18 am

Have you talked to Richard Aplin?
He has surfaced over at http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=66639