The Missing Retro Gamer features

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
r0jaws
Posts: 1860
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:48 pm

Re: The Missing Retro Gamer features

Post by r0jaws » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:59 am

Why, oh why does Retro-Gamer not have an apologies and errata page? I read of so many glaring errors and omissions in every issue that surely these corrections should be addressed in printed form?
I would accept photos of the errant writer, alongside Darran, looking suitably apologetic, in sackcloth and ashes. :wink:

kleinemaus
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:29 am

Re: The Missing Retro Gamer features

Post by kleinemaus » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:25 am

Now you're talking, but also one month clamped in the iron Maiden.
Last edited by kleinemaus on Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

kleinemaus
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:29 am

Re: The Missing Retro Gamer features

Post by kleinemaus » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:33 am

Rory Milne wrote:
kleinemaus wrote:CPC, ZX, Dragon, BBC computers didn't have any software released in USA, they are of no importance over there (or the rest of the world).
Just off the top of my head, I remember versions of the CPC being popular in Germany and Australia, and the Spectrum being big in Spain and Sweden. The 'rest of the world' is a big place, though, so I'm sure there are lots of other examples of UK computer success in foreign markets. :wink:
kleinemaus wrote:USA had computers with 'real' typewriter-style' keyboards, which was very important
Again, not quite the case. Texas Instruments' early 16-bit home computer, the TI-99/4, had a keyboard very similar to the Spectrum's, and the Atari 400 had a membrane keyboard rather than a full travel 'typewriter' keyboard. Commodore released a rubber keyed budget system, called the C116. It wasn't very popular when introduced to the European market, however, which might explain why CBM didn't try to sell it in the States.
Of course, the Atari 400 had a membrane keyboard, but at least they all had a space bar, and punctuation where it's supposed to be.
Yes, the CPC was the third best selling 8-bit computer in Germany, after C64, A8, and was distributed by Schneider. Sweden was more C64 than anything else.

User avatar
Rory Milne
Posts: 434
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:49 am

Re: The Missing Retro Gamer features

Post by Rory Milne » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:46 am

kleinemaus wrote:Of course, the Atari 400 had a membrane keyboard, but at least they all had a space bar, and punctuation where it's supposed to be.
Yes, the CPC was the third best selling 8-bit computer in Germany, after C64, A8, and was distributed by Schneider. Sweden was more C64 than anything else.
I'm not sure that your two most recent comments tie in with your earlier ones. You mentioned previously the failure of the Timex-branded Spectrum in the US and how its lack of "real typewriter-style keyboard" didn't help its cause. That's why I mentioned a few American home computers that didn't have "real typewriter-style keyboards" either. If what you actually meant to say was that Timex computer sales in the States where hampered by where the Space bar and punctuation characters were situated then we'll just have to agree to disagree on that score.
In terms of the success of UK home computers outwith their home market I'm glad you've acknowledged that they were of importance in other parts of the world.

User avatar
Hitman_HalStep
Posts: 2291
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:21 pm
Location: so near and yet so far

Re: The Missing Retro Gamer features

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:40 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Hitman_HalStep wrote:i was going to ask about a Thief article but the original game is only 14 years old so forget that.
Daz has said in the past he's generally working to a 10 year rule. The first 2 Thief games are older than that, with the 3rd hitting 10 next year. Perhaps a project to write this year for publishing on the 10th birthday of the last game?
i hadn't realised the third was that old,i thought an article could be too incomplete if the third was left out for being too new that's more what i meant by my forget that comment, but a making of could be a good read. :)
Image
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

kleinemaus
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:29 am

Re: The Missing Retro Gamer features

Post by kleinemaus » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:17 pm

Rory Milne wrote:
kleinemaus wrote:Of course, the Atari 400 had a membrane keyboard, but at least they all had a space bar, and punctuation where it's supposed to be.
Yes, the CPC was the third best selling 8-bit computer in Germany, after C64, A8, and was distributed by Schneider. Sweden was more C64 than anything else.
I'm not sure that your two most recent comments tie in with your earlier ones. You mentioned previously the failure of the Timex-branded Spectrum in the US and how its lack of "real typewriter-style keyboard" didn't help its cause. That's why I mentioned a few American home computers that didn't have "real typewriter-style keyboards" either. If what you actually meant to say was that Timex computer sales in the States where hampered by where the Space bar and punctuation characters were situated then we'll just have to agree to disagree on that score.
In terms of the success of UK home computers outwith their home market I'm glad you've acknowledged that they were of importance in other parts of the world.
That's why in US Apple ][ was the main seller (pre-C64), and Atari 800 (few people bothered with the 400, just read Antic and you'll find out), and TRS80

User avatar
Rory Milne
Posts: 434
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:49 am

Re: The Missing Retro Gamer features

Post by Rory Milne » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:13 pm

kleinemaus wrote:That's why in US Apple ][ was the main seller (pre-C64), and Atari 800 (few people bothered with the 400, just read Antic and you'll find out), and TRS80
The TRS-80 was the best selling US home computer for most of the late 70's, the Apple II didn't take over until its initially minimal software library expanded. In terms of the Atari 400 and 800, the cheaper 400 outsold the much more expensive 800 by some margin until at least 1982, a year in which the 400 sold 400,000 units compared to the 800's 200,000 units. There are lots of reasons for the Apple II's success in the US, but let's be realistic, its keyboard, great though it was, was hardly a major reason for the impressive number of Apple II and Plus units shifted Stateside.

User avatar
CraigGrannell
Posts: 4734
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:15 am
Contact:

Re: The Missing Retro Gamer features

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:59 am

The TRS-80, 'lovingly' referred to as the 'trash 80' by a number of the US people I've interviewed!
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

User avatar
jdanddiet
Posts: 9040
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:03 am
Location: Essex
Contact:

Re: The Missing Retro Gamer features

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:37 pm

Hitman_HalStep wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:
Hitman_HalStep wrote:i was going to ask about a Thief article but the original game is only 14 years old so forget that.
Daz has said in the past he's generally working to a 10 year rule. The first 2 Thief games are older than that, with the 3rd hitting 10 next year. Perhaps a project to write this year for publishing on the 10th birthday of the last game?
i hadn't realised the third was that old,i thought an article could be too incomplete if the third was left out for being too new that's more what i meant by my forget that comment, but a making of could be a good read. :)
I loved the original Thief and am in touch with the game's project leader and trying to get in touch with a few others.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

antsbull
Posts: 334
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 6:41 am

Re: The Missing Retro Gamer features

Post by antsbull » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:04 pm

necronom wrote:I'm with these. The thing is, RG is a UK mag. If I bought an American mag I wouldn't expect them to have Spectrum games in it, and I wouldn't ask them to start putting computers into it that were big in England.
I completely disagree with this, plus it comes across really arrogant - RetroGamer is written in the UK, but their audience is worldwide. They don't claim that they are purely a UK retrogaming magazine, and they have freelancers who are based outside of the UK as far as I can tell.

Forgoing content that was big overseas because it wasn't popular in the UK would be shooting themselves in the foot. The best way for RG to secure their future is to expand their overseas reading base, not try and alienate those readers.

If people aren't happy with the content, instead of whinging about it every month, why don't you find another magazine that you are actually happy with?

User avatar
merman
Posts: 6527
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:14 pm
Location: Skegness, UK
Contact:

Re: The Missing Retro Gamer features

Post by merman » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:44 am

RG is UK-based and does have overseas contributors. That means the majority of material pitched is going to be UK-centric but does not mean there is a bias against foreign machines or companies. It's simply what is easier to access and write about.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

NES Max
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:58 pm
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: The Missing Retro Gamer features

Post by NES Max » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:44 pm

A in-depth feature about the legendary/infamous Working Designs would be great. Victor Ireland is a very talkative guy and it could make for a killer interview.

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6771
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:34 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: The Missing Retro Gamer features

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:50 pm

NES Max wrote:A in-depth feature about the legendary/infamous Working Designs would be great. Victor Ireland is a very talkative guy and it could make for a killer interview.
Interestingly the last time I contacted Victor he wasn't up for anything. I'll ask him again.
Image

NES Max
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:58 pm
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: The Missing Retro Gamer features

Post by NES Max » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:57 pm

Now, that's disappointing to hear. He quickly jumps into threads about (former) Working Designs games at neogaf.com; I just assumed he would like to cooperate (especially since he is trying to kickstart something at the moment and comes across as a shameless self-promoter at times).

Anyways, a behind the scenes feature on WD and/or an in-depth article about their "gameography" would be amazing.

Thanks for the reply!

User avatar
jdanddiet
Posts: 9040
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:03 am
Location: Essex
Contact:

Re: The Missing Retro Gamer features

Post by jdanddiet » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:26 pm

merman wrote:RG is UK-based and does have overseas contributors. That means the majority of material pitched is going to be UK-centric but does not mean there is a bias against foreign machines or companies. It's simply what is easier to access and write about.
This is true, but I'm still trying to broaden my horizons nonetheless and get in contact with a few American developers.
However, Japan is a real tough nut to crack as I think we're all aware. Doesn't stop me trying but...
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest