The Missing Retro Gamer features

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

markopoloman

Re: The Missing Retro Gamer features

Post by markopoloman » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:47 pm

Well, I am only one person.... but I control the thoughts of hundreds :lol:

Ok, maybe that was made up. :mrgreen:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

rockdjuk

Post by rockdjuk » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:36 am

NES Max wrote:
markopoloman wrote:
antsbull wrote: RetroGamer is "The Essential Guide to Classic Games", not "The Essential Guide to the UK Games Scene".
An extremely brilliant point that should be in lights next to the Retro Gamer logo at the top of the screen!
I agree wholeheartedly. I love Retro Gamer, but I feel there is too much coverage given to micro-computers... Of course, having been a console gamer all my life, I am biased, but MANY people in North America (and Europe too, I am sure) are like me and wish for more "traditional" console coverage. (Obviously, many here will disagree. :-))

Indeed they will me included . I'd much rather see coverage of the computers than the consoles .

kleinemaus

Post by kleinemaus » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:55 am

It's hard work, but a Philips Videopac/Odyssey 2 is long overdue. It was the 2nd best selling console in Europe after the VCS.

kleinemaus

Post by kleinemaus » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:15 am

'from the Archives': Thorn EMI/Creative Sparks

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:11 pm

kleinemaus wrote:'from the Archives': Thorn EMI/Creative Sparks
i'm working on this
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

kleinemaus

Post by kleinemaus » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:30 pm

jdanddiet wrote:
kleinemaus wrote:'from the Archives': Thorn EMI/Creative Sparks
i'm working on this
That's excellent, one of the few UK companies (Thorn EMI) who had early success in USA and Europe. Loved their games on A8.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:02 pm

Well I wouldn't get too excited, I've not had a lot of luck yet, but I'm working on it!
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

necronom

Post by necronom » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:11 am

markopoloman wrote:
NES Max wrote: (Obviously, many here will disagree. :-))
Yes. I do :wink: :mrgreen:
rockdjuk wrote: I'd much rather see coverage of the computers than the consoles .

I'm with these. The thing is, RG is a UK mag. If I bought an American mag I wouldn't expect them to have Spectrum games in it, and I wouldn't ask them to start putting computers into it that were big in England.

I'd be happy if they weren't any consoles in RG at all, but I realise that some unfortunate people didn't have computers in the '80s and missed out on the best stuff :wink:
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:39 pm

having recently played through the Doom series and currently playing Thief but using unofficial fan patches (in Doom's case using gzdoom and hi-res texture pack) to upgrade the graphics on more modern computers,i thought it might be interesting to read an article about the people who do this for free,their motivation and difficulties making them with possible feedback from the original game makers.

it's not pirating because your adding the patch to the already bought game or using the WAD file for my gzdoom example.

i was going to ask about a Thief article but the original game is only 14 years old so forget that.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

newoldgamer

Post by newoldgamer » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:03 pm

A feature on Video Games Myths would be fun. Like the Street Fighter "Sheng Long" myth or something along those lines.

Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:39 pm

I'd like to see and potentially contribute towards a couple articles.

A 6 or so page spread The Making Of "Transport Tycoon" with points on TT Deluxe as well. And to compliment that perhaps an In The Chair With... Chris Sawyer, the man behind TT, Rollercoaster Tycoon, and more. Either that or a Desert Island Disks feature. I'm not an expert on TT but it's a game that snuck up on me has continued to have lasting appeal. It would be interesting to have more candid insight from the creator.

Thief: the dark project is also a good idea as pointed out earlier in this topic. A Making Of with people from Looking Glass would definitely be interesting.
'We have awakened the terrible destructor....'

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:44 pm

Hitman_HalStep wrote:i was going to ask about a Thief article but the original game is only 14 years old so forget that.
Daz has said in the past he's generally working to a 10 year rule. The first 2 Thief games are older than that, with the 3rd hitting 10 next year. Perhaps a project to write this year for publishing on the 10th birthday of the last game?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

doc_eggfan

Post by doc_eggfan » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:50 pm

Arcade gaming in the home

Since actually going to a dedicated Arcade centre is somewhat a thing of the past, there are ways to bring them into the home, and not necessarily in large cabinet form. There is of course the venerable Neo Geo, but there are a number of cartridge/CD/DVD based boards that can be purchased and lend themselves to "consolization" and have a fairly decent library of games too. I have never been so happy as when I got my Naomi 2 board up and running on a VGA monitor with an old Dreamcast Arcade Stick, and now have about 40 games on rom board, GD-rom and Compact Flash.

There's also the Sammy Atomiswave, the Sega Titan ST-V, and well that's about all I can think of boards with a decent library of interchangable games. I'm hoping the RingEdge 2 gets a decent library of games over the next few years, cos I'll be splurging for one in the distant future.

Also, where's my SG-1000/SC-3000 feature article

kleinemaus

Post by kleinemaus » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:30 am

necronom wrote:
markopoloman wrote:
NES Max wrote: (Obviously, many here will disagree. :-))
Yes. I do :wink: :mrgreen:
rockdjuk wrote: I'd much rather see coverage of the computers than the consoles .

I'm with these. The thing is, RG is a UK mag. If I bought an American mag I wouldn't expect them to have Spectrum games in it, and I wouldn't ask them to start putting computers into it that were big in England.
Ah but computers like Atari 8 bit and Commodore computer like C64/Vic 20 were successful worldwide, even in the UK, softwaare houses from UK supported these machines.
CPC, ZX, Dragon, BBC computers didn't have any software released in USA, they are of no importance over there (or the rest of the world). ZX was released in USA under the Timex branch, but that didn't work, as USA had computers with 'real' typewriter-style' keyboards, which was very important.

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:32 am

kleinemaus wrote:CPC, ZX, Dragon, BBC computers didn't have any software released in USA, they are of no importance over there (or the rest of the world).
Just off the top of my head, I remember versions of the CPC being popular in Germany and Australia, and the Spectrum being big in Spain and Sweden. The 'rest of the world' is a big place, though, so I'm sure there are lots of other examples of UK computer success in foreign markets. :wink:
kleinemaus wrote:USA had computers with 'real' typewriter-style' keyboards, which was very important
Again, not quite the case. Texas Instruments' early 16-bit home computer, the TI-99/4, had a keyboard very similar to the Spectrum's, and the Atari 400 had a membrane keyboard rather than a full travel 'typewriter' keyboard. Commodore released a rubber keyed budget system, called the C116. It wasn't very popular when introduced to the European market, however, which might explain why CBM didn't try to sell it in the States.