Page 16 of 30

Re: The Missing Retro Gamer features

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:32 pm
by kiwimike
...A glorious tribute to the wonderful Taito and Bandai companies!

Have I said that? Worth saying again... :wink:

Re: The Missing Retro Gamer features

Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:06 am
by ChipTune
It would be very hard to come up with 'list' style articles without doing something that has been done a hundred times already online..

things like

best bosses
best deaths in videogames
most controversial games
best japan only games
worst games ever
worst ports
Best / worst / most unusual licenced games



etc et, have all been done a hundred times.. I have pages of ideas for my Retro Spirit Blog and when I check online afterwards, I find pretty much all of them have been done already :(


I think the mag really needs to start covering emulation more, and not avoiding it as some legal grey area.. you guys clearly use emulators to take the screenshots for the mag, so why not just write about emulators, and homebrew games made for softmodded consoles like the wii and Dsi ?

Giddy and rick dangerous remake on the wii deserve mention.. as do the excellent mr do / bombjack, single emulators on DSi. :D

I guess I could do them in my own style, but it takes the wind out of your sails to find the same idea already written by 10 or more blogs.

Re: The Missing Retro Gamer features

Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:35 pm
by jdanddiet
Just because something had been written by someone else doesn't mean you shouldn't have a crack Chip, just get an angle..

Re: The Missing Retro Gamer features

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:02 am
by cae9872
Personally I support a very early request - best levels in games... For example on Halo Combat Evolved (and Xbox is retro!) that first time stepping out onto the Halo level...to this day I remember that. I admit that that level may not make the grade but the point is some levels lend themselves to specific interactions, thoughts, feelings, etc.

The one issue is what angle to take i.e. do you take action games only...offhand one would think so as something like Pac-Man probably doesn't quite lend itself to this type of feature.

Has the mag done an in-depth history of Pokemon? Sorry cannot recall offhand.

And while I am at it, what happened to the frankly brilliant Console Collection sections - the new and revised version. The recent-ish one with Nintendo 64 was absolutely brilliant!

Re: The Missing Retro Gamer features

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:32 pm
by NorthWay
We need a feature on ..."Computer Gamer" the magazine. Check this thread to see who popped up: http://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41687

Re: The Missing Retro Gamer features

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:59 am
by rockdjuk
Ok I'm a long time reader (every issue), and subscriber . First time poster ...

This is what id like to see ... and what I'd like less of..

16k Spectrum games - apart from the early ultimate games and 3d deathchase often overlooked

Football manager history

A feature on music games - from licenced games like Frankie goes to Hollywood, upto rock star ate my hamster, rock manager , rock band
etc...

Return of retroinspection - loads that havent been done - GameCube , Ps 2 , Acorn Atom , Pet , CBM plus 4, philips videopac ...

A regular feature on classic games magazines - one could be picked every month .

An Interview with Uncle Clive.

A feature on Sinclairs software division.

killer apps - basically virtually every system has a killer game not available elsewhere. What about a list picking out every machines killer app ?

A feature on the people originally responsible for world cup carnival before it was cancelled and replaced by artics world cup - was it really that bad ? Is there any existing code ?

More articles comparing the same game on different systems .

More c16/vic 20 coverage as well as many of the other older sytems that barely get any coverage .




Less Making of's ... Often about games I've never played/heard of .

Less Nintendo - I know its important globally - but in the UK it was all about Sega .

Less Reviews of new games etc... Usually just scan past them . Dont mind remakes or games for old systems , just not new games .


That'll do for now ... Sure I'll think of more .

Re: The Missing Retro Gamer features

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:20 am
by Rory Milne
rockdjuk wrote:More c16/vic 20 coverage as well as many of the other older sytems that barely get any coverage .
I just finished writing a 4 page C16 Minority Report Special last week, which will be appearing in one of the next few issues. I've also pitched an idea to Darran and Stuart for a feature on the home computers of the 1970's, which they responded well to, so hopefully I'll be asked to write that soon.

Re: The Missing Retro Gamer features

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:25 am
by RitmanRovers
rockdjuk wrote:
A regular feature on classic games magazines - one could be picked every month .

YES PLEASE!


Less Making of's ... Often about games I've never played/heard of .

NO WAY! I love reading about games I've never played. Features about classics like Planescape: Torment and System Shock are great.

Re: The Missing Retro Gamer features

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:25 am
by rockdjuk
RitmanRovers wrote:
rockdjuk wrote:
A regular feature on classic games magazines - one could be picked every month .

YES PLEASE!


Less Making of's ... Often about games I've never played/heard of .

NO WAY! I love reading about games I've never played. Features about classics like Planescape: Torment and System Shock are great.

I would say that i don't read 80% of the "Making of's" . I've not heard of any of those games, so they are hardly classics in my book . Why would I want to see how they were made if I've not even heard of them, let alone played them ? There should certainly never be more than two makings of per issue .

Another idea I've had is what about a regular feature than compares a systems launch titles with the last titles released for the system. Would be an interesting comparison and show what advances could be made within one system .

Re: The Missing Retro Gamer features

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:19 pm
by Darran@Retro Gamer
ChipTune wrote:It would be very hard to come up with 'list' style articles without doing something that has been done a hundred times already online..

things like

best bosses
best deaths in videogames
most controversial games
best japan only games
worst games ever
worst ports
Best / worst / most unusual licenced games



etc et, have all been done a hundred times.. I have pages of ideas for my Retro Spirit Blog and when I check online afterwards, I find pretty much all of them have been done already :(
So what if things have already been done? If you can put your own spin on things, or cover new examples then it really doesn't matter. There's no such thing as a right or wrong list and it's certainly not going to stop us from doing them.

Re: The Missing Retro Gamer features

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:31 pm
by psj3809
I love top 10 type lists, plus they're all different anyway. More lists please ! Often theres a game or two which jogs my memory and i then want to track it down and play it.

Re: The Missing Retro Gamer features

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:31 pm
by Mayhem
Rory Milne wrote:I just finished writing a 4 page C16 Minority Report Special last week, which will be appearing in one of the next few issues. I've also pitched an idea to Darran and Stuart for a feature on the home computers of the 1970's, which they responded well to, so hopefully I'll be asked to write that soon.
Sounds good... maybe I'll think about suggesting one for the Vic20 :P

Re: The Missing Retro Gamer features

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:59 pm
by Rory Milne
Mayhem wrote:Sounds good... maybe I'll think about suggesting one for the Vic20 :P
Yeah, I'd love to do a Vic 20 Minority Report Special too. ;)

Oh, and to give credit where credit is due, the C16 M.R. special was all Darran's idea, I just picked it from a shortlist of suitable systems he'd put together.

Re: The Missing Retro Gamer features

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:05 am
by rockdjuk
psj3809 wrote:I love top 10 type lists, plus they're all different anyway. More lists please ! Often theres a game or two which jogs my memory and i then want to track it down and play it.
I'm the total opposite . I'd like to see less lists . Its a lazy way to put a magazine together and usually just yet another way to write about games that have been done to death .

Re: The Missing Retro Gamer features

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:37 pm
by NorthWay
rockdjuk wrote:Less Making of's ... Often about games I've never played/heard of .
No.