The Missing Retro Gamer features

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Antiriad2097

Re: The Missing Retro Gamer features

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:53 am

psj3809 wrote:Still would love the trainspotter award though !
+1

Not sure why this isn't a regular already since every month the issue feedback thread is full of potential snippets for it. Its an easy space filler that gets some usernames into the mag as well as acting as an errata sheet. And its very retro.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:06 am

It would be filled with the same 2 or 3 people every time though! :lol:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:19 am

Adding the competitive edge of the trainspotter award might bring forth more people picking up on minor errors though. I wouldn't bother griping about most of them but if I thought it would bag me a Trainspotter I'd be right on the feedback thread.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

MikeFishcake

Post by MikeFishcake » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:00 am

Again, the trainspotter thing would be good. That way, when people spot mistakes, instead of getting apoplectic with furious rage then ranting until blue in the face, they'd be pleased to win an accolade :)

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:34 am

Trainspotter award is never going to happen.
You'd get specific people who would use it for no other reason than to scrutinise the issue just to point out mistakes.
And there will be mistakes. I don't know everything about everything, neither does Stuart, nor does our sub. If people make mistakes when they first submit an article, it's highly unlikely that we're going to pick up on them. As I said in another post, we don't have the time and resources to check every little fact which appears in the magazine.
We have to trust that the people hired to do a job know what they're talking about.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:55 am

Shame that, to me the trainspotter award is a nod to the old mags of yesteryear and a 'fun' way of pointing out the odd typo. Just was hoping people might send them in instead of creating threads of 'on page 78 i spotted there was a comma missing, i demand a refund to my subscription !'

Think the vast vast majority arent bothered and like a say its a nod to the old days, but you will still get the odd person moaning that their favourite game wasnt featured in the top 1000 games beginning with A for the Dragon 32 etc. Cant please em all

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:32 pm

NorthWay wrote:We need an article from the Atari contributors that focuses on the Falcon and its DSP.
Now would be a great time seen as we are just coming up to the computers historic 20th birthday.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:24 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Trainspotter award is never going to happen.
You'd get specific people who would use it for no other reason than to scrutinise the issue just to point out mistakes.
And there will be mistakes. I don't know everything about everything, neither does Stuart, nor does our sub. If people make mistakes when they first submit an article, it's highly unlikely that we're going to pick up on them. As I said in another post, we don't have the time and resources to check every little fact which appears in the magazine.
We have to trust that the people hired to do a job know what they're talking about.
You don't want the opportunity to correct the 'big' mistakes the following month, ensuring higher overall accuracy for the mag?

Make a fun item out of the errata sheet.

Nobody expects you to be perfect, and what's wrong with giving those obsessive compulsive error hunters some extra value from the mag as they read and reread it looking for missing commas? They won't make the mag anyway.

You acknowledge errors creep in, so why not deal with them? Its not a criticism of the mag that two guys and some freelancers let a few thigs slip through considering the volume of content you pump out. Frankly I'm astounded its anywhere near as accurate as it is.

Gibberish Driftwood

Post by Gibberish Driftwood » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:50 pm

How about an interview with the Angry Video Game Nerd?
His youtube films are hilarious.
Ken sent me.
Do the Kirby dance: (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')>

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:54 am

Gibberish Driftwood wrote:How about an interview with the Angry Video Game Nerd?
His youtube films are more annoying than amusing and barely watchable as a result.
Fixed that for you.

Gibberish Driftwood

Post by Gibberish Driftwood » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:22 am

I think he is funny. :)
Ken sent me.
Do the Kirby dance: (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')>

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:11 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Trainspotter award is never going to happen.
You don't want the opportunity to correct the 'big' mistakes the following month, ensuring higher overall accuracy for the mag?

Make a fun item out of the errata sheet.

Nobody expects you to be perfect, and what's wrong with giving those obsessive compulsive error hunters some extra value from the mag as they read and reread it looking for missing commas? They won't make the mag anyway.

You acknowledge errors creep in, so why not deal with them? Its not a criticism of the mag that two guys and some freelancers let a few thigs slip through considering the volume of content you pump out. Frankly I'm astounded its anywhere near as accurate as it is.
I thought I'd already explained why we're not going to do it. I've got better things to do then listen to the same old people point out mistakes when they crop up. We get it already on the forum, it doesn't need to be broadcasted to the readership. How many other magazines do you know where they have a page dedicated to here's the mistakes we made last issue?

When there are howlers they're corrected for the bookazines. The magazine has better things to do than pander to know it alls, which is what would happen.

And how would it help? Aside from Stuart constantly getting Crash confused with Zzap the same mistake is rarely made twice (mainly because it's pointed out on the forum and remembered for future issues. So it serves no purpose other than to stroke the ego of whoever is pointing out the mistake.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:23 am

Fair enough. You evidently see it as a horrible thing where people pick apart your work, where I think most of us just see it as a fun item that harks back to the mags of old. I shall push it no further, since I'm not trying to have a go at you or the rest of the staff.

Fwiw, I like this month's cover, Astro Wars is a design classic and rightly holds front page status (since I've still not read any more of the mag).

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:32 am

I understand that Antiriad and I also understand the appeal. I'd just rather leave it for the moment :)

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:00 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Gibberish Driftwood wrote:How about an interview with the Angry Video Game Nerd?
His youtube films are more annoying than amusing and barely watchable as a result.
Fixed that for you.
Think the video game nerd is like marmite, cant stand the guy and his annoying voice he puts on, urrgh !!