The Missing Retro Gamer features

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

LAIS

Re: The Missing Retro Gamer features

Post by LAIS » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:23 am

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:
rockdjuk wrote:What's happened to the Champ/Football Manager article ?
indeed, still a glaring omission.
I've been rambling on about this for some time, but since there's a groundswell of support forming here - I'm thirding this. It's the RG article I want to see most. Multiple Zelda, Gameboy and Mario articles (which I'm totally fine with, by the way) but not even one on CM/FM yet. Big oversight in my opinion. Hopefully it's coming in time to coincide with the World Cup.

Boulder

Post by Boulder » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:32 am

Here's another reader supporting a (long) CM/FM article :) In fact, why not cover the whole history of football management games. There were some interesting games back in the day (The Manager etc..) I think I was one of the last ones to create a public database update for CM97/98, a great game it was..

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:24 pm

I think 99-00 was my favourite but it could have been 00-01, always bought Van Der Vaart and Yakubu from Ajax. Ibrahimovic was available quite cheap too if you snared him quickly enough. Saviola was another must have. Jeez, I loved it back then. It's just not the same now, too much going on and less focus on the main ingredient - fun. I would love an article too by the way.

Eat your nans pants

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:02 pm

Boulder wrote:Here's another reader supporting a (long) CM/FM article :) In fact, why not cover the whole history of football management games. There were some interesting games back in the day (The Manager etc..) I think I was one of the last ones to create a public database update for CM97/98, a great game it was..
It'd be interesting to hear about some of the websites that keep the games alive (The Dugout, sortitoutsi etc) as a little 'aside' type feature. They've always played such a huge part in the whole Football/Championship Manager 'universe' so to speak.

And to Crusto - Alex Aguinaga was the man for me during that period, he'd consistently get 8s or 9s, was easy to get and was cheap too.

With all the complaints about Football Manager becoming too complex, I wonder if there's a market for a new management sim that's more simplified? Is there even another management sim that exists right now that isn't a total cartoon??

Boulder

Post by Boulder » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:09 pm

Football Manager Handheld is supposed to be a simple version of SI's Football Manager but for some reason I cannot get myself to play it on my tablet. I wonder if Kevin Toms will ever finish his reincarnation of the original Football Manager. It's been quite long in the making.

And yes, RG, if you end up creating the feature, please interview Kevin Toms as well 8)

playzooki

Post by playzooki » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:05 pm

i loved CM 03-04 when i was a small child

bought CM5 from cex a few weeks ago, still loved it though my favourite team Leeds are bankrupt at the start >:C

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Tue May 13, 2014 10:13 am

I just reread issue #50, and loved the Making of RetroGamer (at Live Publishing) article - how about at some point revisiting that topic with whats happened since then with Imagine?

As a reader and big fan of the mag, what goes on at RG and behind the scenes stuff at the office is always really interesting.

spuggybridge

Post by spuggybridge » Fri May 16, 2014 9:12 pm

Features on more obscure machines and their software, such as Lynx 48K, Sharp MZ700, CGL Sord M5, Acetronic, Mattel Aquarius etc

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Mon May 19, 2014 11:32 am

antsbull wrote:I just reread issue #50, and loved the Making of RetroGamer (at Live Publishing) article - how about at some point revisiting that topic with whats happened since then with Imagine?

As a reader and big fan of the mag, what goes on at RG and behind the scenes stuff at the office is always really interesting.
I'd also be interested in this.

Not sure if it's been done/mentioned, but I'd be interested in an article on "Gaming spin-offs" (I'm not sure how to word it in any other way - for example, cartoons based on games (the various Sonic incarnations, Mario, Earthworm Jim etc) and the Sonic comics, maybe books and the likes. Maybe it could be a regular feature or something, I dunno, with the focus on something different each week so there can be more in the way of information about how they came about etc.

Also, has the Body Blows series by Team 17 been covered in any way? I'd love to read more about that.

Gibberish Driftwood

Post by Gibberish Driftwood » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:36 pm

Been watching a lot of Angry Video Game Nerd episodes. Many of the games he seems to hate the most were made by a company called LJN.
Are LJN games really that bad?
Perhaps RG could do an article about this?
Ken sent me.
Do the Kirby dance: (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')>

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:09 pm

LJN started off as a toy company and got into videogames in 1987, but was bought by Acclaim in 1990. After that it was used as a way to get around Nintendo's licensing terms to launch extra games (typically low-quality ones, seemingly to avoid damaging the main brand). Since it spent the majority of its life as a secondary label it's unlikely that we'd do anything about LJN in specific, but Acclaim is a feature we're definitely looking to tackle in the future.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:31 pm

As Nick stated, LJN was used by Acclaim for publishing reasons in the end, in the same way Ultra "appeared" as a way for Konami to publish more games per year.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Gibberish Driftwood

Post by Gibberish Driftwood » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:37 pm

You learn something new everyday. :)
Ken sent me.
Do the Kirby dance: (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')>

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:59 pm

Have we had a from-the-archives on LiveWire?

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:05 am

An interview I would love to see is an in-the-chair with Charles Martinet, the voice of Mario - he loves what he does so much, and his interviews are so enthusiastic, that its infectious.