The Missing Retro Gamer features

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

kiwimike
Posts: 3653
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:20 am
Location: Chch, NZ

Re: The Missing Retro Gamer features

Post by kiwimike » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:32 pm

...A glorious tribute to the wonderful Taito and Bandai companies!

Have I said that? Worth saying again... :wink:

User avatar
ChipTune
Posts: 2160
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Bristol
Contact:

Re: The Missing Retro Gamer features

Post by ChipTune » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:06 am

It would be very hard to come up with 'list' style articles without doing something that has been done a hundred times already online..

things like

best bosses
best deaths in videogames
most controversial games
best japan only games
worst games ever
worst ports
Best / worst / most unusual licenced games



etc et, have all been done a hundred times.. I have pages of ideas for my Retro Spirit Blog and when I check online afterwards, I find pretty much all of them have been done already :(


I think the mag really needs to start covering emulation more, and not avoiding it as some legal grey area.. you guys clearly use emulators to take the screenshots for the mag, so why not just write about emulators, and homebrew games made for softmodded consoles like the wii and Dsi ?

Giddy and rick dangerous remake on the wii deserve mention.. as do the excellent mr do / bombjack, single emulators on DSi. :D

I guess I could do them in my own style, but it takes the wind out of your sails to find the same idea already written by 10 or more blogs.
Image

User avatar
jdanddiet
Posts: 8996
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:03 am
Location: Essex
Contact:

Re: The Missing Retro Gamer features

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:35 pm

Just because something had been written by someone else doesn't mean you shouldn't have a crack Chip, just get an angle..
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

cae9872
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:47 pm

Re: The Missing Retro Gamer features

Post by cae9872 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:02 am

Personally I support a very early request - best levels in games... For example on Halo Combat Evolved (and Xbox is retro!) that first time stepping out onto the Halo level...to this day I remember that. I admit that that level may not make the grade but the point is some levels lend themselves to specific interactions, thoughts, feelings, etc.

The one issue is what angle to take i.e. do you take action games only...offhand one would think so as something like Pac-Man probably doesn't quite lend itself to this type of feature.

Has the mag done an in-depth history of Pokemon? Sorry cannot recall offhand.

And while I am at it, what happened to the frankly brilliant Console Collection sections - the new and revised version. The recent-ish one with Nintendo 64 was absolutely brilliant!

NorthWay
Posts: 1570
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:02 am
Location: Grimstad, Norway

Re: The Missing Retro Gamer features

Post by NorthWay » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:32 pm

We need a feature on ..."Computer Gamer" the magazine. Check this thread to see who popped up: http://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41687

rockdjuk
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:31 am

Re: The Missing Retro Gamer features

Post by rockdjuk » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:59 am

Ok I'm a long time reader (every issue), and subscriber . First time poster ...

This is what id like to see ... and what I'd like less of..

16k Spectrum games - apart from the early ultimate games and 3d deathchase often overlooked

Football manager history

A feature on music games - from licenced games like Frankie goes to Hollywood, upto rock star ate my hamster, rock manager , rock band
etc...

Return of retroinspection - loads that havent been done - GameCube , Ps 2 , Acorn Atom , Pet , CBM plus 4, philips videopac ...

A regular feature on classic games magazines - one could be picked every month .

An Interview with Uncle Clive.

A feature on Sinclairs software division.

killer apps - basically virtually every system has a killer game not available elsewhere. What about a list picking out every machines killer app ?

A feature on the people originally responsible for world cup carnival before it was cancelled and replaced by artics world cup - was it really that bad ? Is there any existing code ?

More articles comparing the same game on different systems .

More c16/vic 20 coverage as well as many of the other older sytems that barely get any coverage .




Less Making of's ... Often about games I've never played/heard of .

Less Nintendo - I know its important globally - but in the UK it was all about Sega .

Less Reviews of new games etc... Usually just scan past them . Dont mind remakes or games for old systems , just not new games .


That'll do for now ... Sure I'll think of more .

User avatar
Rory Milne
Posts: 351
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:49 am

Re: The Missing Retro Gamer features

Post by Rory Milne » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:20 am

rockdjuk wrote:More c16/vic 20 coverage as well as many of the other older sytems that barely get any coverage .
I just finished writing a 4 page C16 Minority Report Special last week, which will be appearing in one of the next few issues. I've also pitched an idea to Darran and Stuart for a feature on the home computers of the 1970's, which they responded well to, so hopefully I'll be asked to write that soon.

User avatar
RitmanRovers
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:24 am

Re: The Missing Retro Gamer features

Post by RitmanRovers » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:25 am

rockdjuk wrote:
A regular feature on classic games magazines - one could be picked every month .

YES PLEASE!


Less Making of's ... Often about games I've never played/heard of .

NO WAY! I love reading about games I've never played. Features about classics like Planescape: Torment and System Shock are great.
Eat my boomstick

rockdjuk
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:31 am

Re: The Missing Retro Gamer features

Post by rockdjuk » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:25 am

RitmanRovers wrote:
rockdjuk wrote:
A regular feature on classic games magazines - one could be picked every month .

YES PLEASE!


Less Making of's ... Often about games I've never played/heard of .

NO WAY! I love reading about games I've never played. Features about classics like Planescape: Torment and System Shock are great.

I would say that i don't read 80% of the "Making of's" . I've not heard of any of those games, so they are hardly classics in my book . Why would I want to see how they were made if I've not even heard of them, let alone played them ? There should certainly never be more than two makings of per issue .

Another idea I've had is what about a regular feature than compares a systems launch titles with the last titles released for the system. Would be an interesting comparison and show what advances could be made within one system .

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6739
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:34 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: The Missing Retro Gamer features

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:19 pm

ChipTune wrote:It would be very hard to come up with 'list' style articles without doing something that has been done a hundred times already online..

things like

best bosses
best deaths in videogames
most controversial games
best japan only games
worst games ever
worst ports
Best / worst / most unusual licenced games



etc et, have all been done a hundred times.. I have pages of ideas for my Retro Spirit Blog and when I check online afterwards, I find pretty much all of them have been done already :(
So what if things have already been done? If you can put your own spin on things, or cover new examples then it really doesn't matter. There's no such thing as a right or wrong list and it's certainly not going to stop us from doing them.
Image

psj3809
Posts: 18739
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:28 am

Re: The Missing Retro Gamer features

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:31 pm

I love top 10 type lists, plus they're all different anyway. More lists please ! Often theres a game or two which jogs my memory and i then want to track it down and play it.

User avatar
Mayhem
Posts: 4739
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:05 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: The Missing Retro Gamer features

Post by Mayhem » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:31 pm

Rory Milne wrote:I just finished writing a 4 page C16 Minority Report Special last week, which will be appearing in one of the next few issues. I've also pitched an idea to Darran and Stuart for a feature on the home computers of the 1970's, which they responded well to, so hopefully I'll be asked to write that soon.
Sounds good... maybe I'll think about suggesting one for the Vic20 :P
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Image

User avatar
Rory Milne
Posts: 351
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:49 am

Re: The Missing Retro Gamer features

Post by Rory Milne » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:59 pm

Mayhem wrote:Sounds good... maybe I'll think about suggesting one for the Vic20 :P
Yeah, I'd love to do a Vic 20 Minority Report Special too. ;)

Oh, and to give credit where credit is due, the C16 M.R. special was all Darran's idea, I just picked it from a shortlist of suitable systems he'd put together.

rockdjuk
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:31 am

Re: The Missing Retro Gamer features

Post by rockdjuk » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:05 am

psj3809 wrote:I love top 10 type lists, plus they're all different anyway. More lists please ! Often theres a game or two which jogs my memory and i then want to track it down and play it.
I'm the total opposite . I'd like to see less lists . Its a lazy way to put a magazine together and usually just yet another way to write about games that have been done to death .

NorthWay
Posts: 1570
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:02 am
Location: Grimstad, Norway

Re: The Missing Retro Gamer features

Post by NorthWay » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:37 pm

rockdjuk wrote:Less Making of's ... Often about games I've never played/heard of .
No.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest