The Missing Retro Gamer features

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

kiwimike

Re: The Missing Retro Gamer features

Post by kiwimike » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:55 pm

Seeing Resident Evil is getting the RG treatment coming up, I'd love to see the Silent Hill series get a decent feature. To me, it really lifted survival horror when it came out. The Sound and music especially, but also the creep out approach to horror rather than jump scares, the alternate worlds, and the infamous Pyramid head who has become a dark character in the game world the way Pinhead etc did in the movie world :)

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:25 am

What about a feature on the MechWarrior series? The last game is more than 15 years old now, the games should be retro enough and the series was overall very good.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:18 pm

kiwimike wrote:Seeing Resident Evil is getting the RG treatment coming up, I'd love to see the Silent Hill series get a decent feature. To me, it really lifted survival horror when it came out. The Sound and music especially, but also the creep out approach to horror rather than jump scares, the alternate worlds, and the infamous Pyramid head who has become a dark character in the game world the way Pinhead etc did in the movie world :)
The biggest problem with a silent hill feature is access. Most of the team are scattered to the winds and then there's the language barrier to consider.
As much as you might like a Silent Hill feature would you like it if there was no developer access?

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:07 pm

Hiro wrote:What about a feature on the MechWarrior series? The last game is more than 15 years old now, the games should be retro enough and the series was overall very good.
On my to-do list :D
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Boulder

Post by Boulder » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:37 pm

jdanddiet wrote:
Hiro wrote:What about a feature on the MechWarrior series? The last game is more than 15 years old now, the games should be retro enough and the series was overall very good.
On my to-do list :D
How about extending this to the whole BattleTech universe? I have fond memories of The Crescent Hawk's Inception even though it was quite a simple game in the end. It was the first game I got for my A500 :D I never tried the sequel so it would be interesting to read about it.

Gamer128

Post by Gamer128 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:21 pm

puressenceuk wrote:Love the magazine, and by far the only print publication worth picking up these days, but would love to see more articles on the Atari Lynx and Atari ST! I can't be the only one who thinks the Amiga and its games get far more love than it's MIDI port wearing cousin?
Glad to see I am not alone here!

For a computer that sold in the millions and was top of the food chain for a quite a while the ST is criminally over looked on the fine pages of RG.

More Lynx stuff is always welcome too :D

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:38 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
kiwimike wrote:Seeing Resident Evil is getting the RG treatment coming up, I'd love to see the Silent Hill series get a decent feature. To me, it really lifted survival horror when it came out. The Sound and music especially, but also the creep out approach to horror rather than jump scares, the alternate worlds, and the infamous Pyramid head who has become a dark character in the game world the way Pinhead etc did in the movie world :)
The biggest problem with a silent hill feature is access. Most of the team are scattered to the winds and then there's the language barrier to consider.
As much as you might like a Silent Hill feature would you like it if there was no developer access?
Fair points, and good question! To be honest, I'm probably too biased to answer as I'm such a fan of the SH universe I'd like it regardless :lol:

Gibberish Driftwood

Post by Gibberish Driftwood » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:29 am

How about an interview with Scott Murphy and Mark Crowe (aka The 2 guys from Andromeda)?
Back in the 80s and 90s they created the Space Quest games.
They are working on a new game called Spaceventure:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsLrs3s5mOw&t=2s
Or you could do an article that looks back at the Space Quest series.
Ken sent me.
Do the Kirby dance: (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')>

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:24 pm

As I've been really enjoying their kickstarter campaigns and books, I was thinking a good feature on Fusion books and the guys behind it. Perhaps it may be considered a bit of a clash and seen as promoting a competitor I guess...but it's unlikely one is going to take business from the other as customers with a passion for the subject matter are likely to not pick one over the other.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:45 pm

I actually think it is time RG did a full feature with timeline covering the continuing saga of the ZX Spectrum Vega+ . This is getting beyond ridiculous now.

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:34 am

kiwimike wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:45 pm
I actually think it is time RG did a full feature with timeline covering the continuing saga of the ZX Spectrum Vega+ . This is getting beyond ridiculous now.
There was a MASSIVE Facebook post today from the Vega+ guys with a great big story of how they had been picked on by nasty people etc etc. And that it is deffo coming out. But don't say nasty things because you will be given the boot from where ever and probably be arrested.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:26 am

Crusty Starfish wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:34 am
kiwimike wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:45 pm
There was a MASSIVE Facebook post today from the Vega+ guys with a great big story of how they had been picked on by nasty people etc etc. And that it is deffo coming out. But don't say nasty things because you will be given the boot from where ever and probably be arrested.
Yes I have seen how they (RCL) have made another vague release date and stated it is about time people changed their view! How arrogant is that?! People have every right to keep their damn view until RCL come up with more than just vague rhetoric and updates that don't say anything specific- and only when court and media statements come out, otherwise they tell their backers nothing. It's appalling how long this has been able to continue. A joke really.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:16 am

Rg are waiting a few months until the Vega+ hits 10 years from promise to 'delivery'.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:09 am

I don't think it'll come to that as Indiegogo are now threatening to send in the debt collectors if they don't deliver by the end of May:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-42943355

That's assuming that there's any money left to recover, of course. Ah well, if nothing else comes out of this, there should at least be some useful precedents set about consumer rights in crowdfunded projects.

mr jenzie

Post by mr jenzie » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:10 pm

sprite comics?