Retro Bookazine no.6

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Laird

Re: Retro Bookazine no.6

Post by The Laird » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:59 am

CraigGrannell wrote:I'm not against the ST, FWIW, but when you're talking about reprint two-part bookazines, you need enough in the bank, and I can't think of that many ST-specific pieces in the mag.
Neither can I :(

That's why this ST article is coming to try and redress the balance somewhat.

The comment about it getting stick wasn't aimed at you it was more of a general comment.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:06 am

I've got the two Hardware retro mags (there were only two?), issues 3/4/5/6 of the bookazines, and the Speccy/C64 book. I love them, think they're great to have in a collection.

What about a NES/SNES book? SMS/MD?

Or a retro handheld book (G&W, GB, Game Gear, Lynx etc etc?)
Last edited by greenberet79 on Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:10 am

Handhelds, that's a good one IMO

fujiHunter

Post by fujiHunter » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:21 am

CraigGrannell wrote:I'm not against the ST, FWIW, but when you're talking about reprint two-part bookazines, you need enough in the bank, and I can't think of that many ST-specific pieces in the mag.
Fair point... but this only really highlights the need for RG to give the ST more coverage in the future.
kiwimike wrote: I had an ST at one stage, not for long granted, but I always liked it. My mates had Amigas and took the P something chronic, but at the time I liked the built in MIDI for with the synths.
Opposite for me. I knew one solitary person who had an Amiga and around 20 who had STs. Not only did the Amiga guy have no-one to swap with, but even he whinged about having to fork out 25% more for largely identical games.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:30 am

I never had an Amiga or ST (I went Speccy to NES to SNES). But I have to say all my mates had ST's - I didn't know anyone with an Amiga. Not sure why, it seemed to be the "in" thing to buy for a time.

Think it was £400 at the time though - a ludicrous amount of money!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:02 pm

Jagfest_UK wrote:
Neither can I :(

That's why this ST article is coming to try and redress the balance somewhat.

The comment about it getting stick wasn't aimed at you it was more of a general comment.
Hey Jag, off topic a bit...but do you know where you can find a beanie with a nice Atari logo on it?! Been looking for one to wear at work, nice subtle design of basic black beanie with a nice little white logo with Atari under. The only one I've found online is this 'pixel' logo with squares of bright colours...not my taste.
If you have a link to Atari gear in general that'd be cool :)

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:35 pm

kiwimike wrote: Hey Jag, off topic a bit...but do you know where you can find a beanie with a nice Atari logo on it?! Been looking for one to wear at work, nice subtle design of basic black beanie with a nice little white logo with Atari under. The only one I've found online is this 'pixel' logo with squares of bright colours...not my taste.
If you have a link to Atari gear in general that'd be cool :)
What is a beanie? :lol:

Is it a hat of some sort? :?

If so then no but I will update you if I do 8)

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:00 pm

Lol, yeah, it's a hat :lol:

russty_russ

Post by russty_russ » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:55 am

Is it me or is the bookazine a little thinner in pages than previous editions. I thought they were normally 256 pages. I'm not complaining as budgets have to met etc.

Great read as always and another one to add to the collection :D

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:19 am

Thanks for the heads up, as I never would have known another was out. They are getting really crap at advertising these things are coming out, no mention in past issues, no announcement on here, Daz usually does a little preview for YouTube, surely imagine have the subscribers email address to let us know......been this way for a while now!

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:06 am

fujiHunter wrote:Fair point... but this only really highlights the need for RG to give the ST more coverage in the future.
Quite, although coverage also comes down to those who can write about the machine, getting the right contacts for interviews, ensuring it's the most relevant platform (given that a lot of 16-bit computer games were Amiga-first) and then convincing the in-house team to hit the GO switch. Still, maybe Airheart/Typhoon Thompson in Search of the Sea Child will get the nod one day…
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:01 pm

Nice to see another bookazine but I've stopped buying them as a) I already have the mag and b) I get the emags when they come out. I'd love to keep all of my RG issues and the bookazines too but I just don't have the space.

Any new 'Retro' bookazines coming out soon? Y'know, the gamesTM stuff? I don't buy that magazine so those are the one type of bookazine that I keep hold of. Got 3 and 4 but no idea if any more have been released since.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:54 pm

Right, got Volume 6 today, but couldn't find the Spectrum one anywhere. Might have to be an online jobbie.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:44 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Right, got Volume 6 today, but couldn't find the Spectrum one anywhere. Might have to be an online jobbie.
I can have a check for you in my local Smiths if you want? They usually have loads of old bookazines that nobody buys. I swear I've seen the C64 one in there for ages. I'm going into town on Saturday if that helps.

EDIT: Went in today as it happens and there one copy left but it was pretty beaten up so I left it where it was. Ah well, I tried :)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:22 pm

Well the effort's not unappreciated :)
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.