Is it time for some PS1 coverage?

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

kiwimike

Re: Is it time for some PS1 coverage?

Post by kiwimike » Mon May 12, 2014 7:16 am

RodimusPrime wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Too many people associate the term retro with games they played as kids, therefore they can't appreciate that later consoles are retro to the younger generation.

Playstation is retro, playstation 2 is retro, xbox is retro. Sorry guys but that's just the way it is. That's not to say we will be covering these constantly, but the fact of the matter is rg itself is a decade old, which is a big amount of time itself.

I turned down a making of black the other day, because it still feels like a new game (and is less than 10 years old) but dont be surprised if you see a making of splinter cell in the future.

This is the big problem, people are attaching the term retro to only the games they playerd as kids. They are being blinkered and are only concerned about games within their lifetime. Forgetting that using those exact same parameters makes a newer game retro to a younger person, but no, that does not fit in with what they want. they want to wrap the entire retro scene all around their own childhood and wrap it all up in a nice box and not let anyone else play.
This topic could go 200+ pages and each particular 'side' in this debate won't budge on their view. And that's fine, I admire and respect the passion behind it. I understand where everyone's coming from, and generally it seems the older the person, the more the view is retro is older 2D, MD/SNES and pre. But not always of course. The main thing is the debate stays passionate but respectful IMO.
I have always stuck by my retro definition of two gens back is retro, works for me. And of course many will wildly disagree, and that's cool. And I would welcome more PS1 coverage :)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon May 12, 2014 12:11 pm

We need a distinct system like comics, with a golden age, silver age etc. We have the bit generations, but they're almost as confused as retro itself thanks to varying hardware like the TI99 and even more so with stuff like the Jaguar and beyond.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon May 12, 2014 12:50 pm

Personally think we need much more arcade stuff. The article a few issues was a good start but was more of a beginners guide. I man we all love arcade/mame stuff don't we ? The machines are always popular at shows. We talk about the classics a lot. Wish we had more arcade stuff

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon May 12, 2014 4:09 pm

Oi, stop derailing my derailment ;)

More arcade stuff would be excellent. A cab a month would be ideal. I'm sure some of the big collectors could provide quality images of one cab a month, then just a small spiel of text about it.

Same with the VFD/LED/LCD handheld and tabletop games. I'd like one of those a month too. A couple of pages, nothing too difficult to pull together.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

crusto

Post by crusto » Mon May 12, 2014 5:19 pm

I would like to see more articles on arcade machines. Two or three per issue maybe - for a while anyway.

Eg: Gradius

Article on the game - as much info as possible along with snippets of reviews from the time.

Details of all the conversions, with a review of the best one from the time.

Information on the best place/way to play it nowadays.

Eat your nans pants

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon May 12, 2014 5:22 pm

psj3809 wrote:Personally think we need much more arcade stuff. The article a few issues was a good start but was more of a beginners guide. I man we all love arcade/mame stuff don't we ? The machines are always popular at shows. We talk about the classics a lot. Wish we had more arcade stuff
I have a "Making Of" for an arcade game in the next issue, and have 3 more in the works.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon May 12, 2014 8:34 pm

There's plenty of arcade stuff coming. Robot monsters and midnight resistance ultimate guide in next issue, crazy taxi history and yie ar kung fu ultimate guide after that, bespoke rampage history piece. Arcade covers seem to do well (most likely due to numerous conversions) so there will be a minimum of two features a month (until the obligatory moaning that there's too much arcade coverage).

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon May 12, 2014 8:41 pm

Good to hear. Now, about those tabletop games... ;)

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon May 12, 2014 9:40 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Good to hear. Now, about those tabletop games... ;)

I would love a feature on the tiger/Grandstand range of LCD games, especially considering they did so many based on popular games.

Still want a feature on games based on cartoons, and games based on comics. Also vice versa comics and cartoons based on games.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue May 13, 2014 8:39 am

Yep, a vote here. And handheld LCDs, calculator and watch games etc... :)

Fantastic to hear there's some Arcade stuff coming up

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Tue May 13, 2014 2:05 pm

Arcade coverage has always been popular in the mag, Coin Op Capers was the most praised feature (and least moaned about) the mag has ever had. It should have been in every issue.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue May 13, 2014 2:33 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:There's plenty of arcade stuff coming. Robot monsters and midnight resistance ultimate guide in next issue, crazy taxi history and yie ar kung fu ultimate guide after that, bespoke rampage history piece. Arcade covers seem to do well (most likely due to numerous conversions) so there will be a minimum of two features a month (until the obligatory moaning that there's too much arcade coverage).
Great stuff ! Looking forward to it !! I could read arcade article after arcade article ! Even more so after the recent retro show in Blackpool, had the usual 6 monthly/yearly argument with the wife about why i think a large cocktail cabinet would look good in the lounge, does she agree ? Nope !
RodimusPrime wrote:
I would love a feature on the tiger/Grandstand range of LCD games, especially considering they did so many based on popular games.
Check out Astro Wars/Scramble/Galaxy Invader on iOS and also Retrofox (Firefox homage) which is also brilliant.

spuggybridge

Post by spuggybridge » Fri May 16, 2014 9:09 pm

Was never a fan of the PS1 (thought it was a bit too common), I preferred the more niche Saturn however if there is some coverage I will be more than happy to read it.

WoodyCG

Post by WoodyCG » Tue May 27, 2014 12:31 pm

Would be more than happy to see more PS1 coverage - for me it most definitely now comes under the remit of Retro Gamer

It is not something from my childhood - didn't get one until Gran Turismo came out and I was well into my 20's at that point.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue May 27, 2014 5:40 pm

300 posts/20 pages on a topic covering a request that's already been fulfilled :lol: