'Bedrooms to Billions' film project - how you can help!

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

PaulEMoz

Re: 'Bedrooms to Billions' film project - how you can help!

Post by PaulEMoz » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:35 pm

Might not be SID music, though...

I've upped my pledge to get the CD though, couldn't resist. Furthering the competition! :lol:

necronom

Post by necronom » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:42 am

There's a great interview with one of the makers of the film HERE. There are some great stories. You need to go to 66 minutes into it, and it's 2 hours long from there.

I can't wait for it to be released.

Even though it smashed through the Kickstarter target after 5 or 6 days, I'm still surprised that only 708 people (so far) in the world have actually ordered it. It's only £20 for the DVD now, or £30 for the Blu-ray (it was initially very expensive), and since almost 26,000 people backed Elite, which is only on the PC and Mac, I expected more interest.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

PaulEMoz

Post by PaulEMoz » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:52 pm

Remember it was on IndieGogo before it was on Kickstarter, and a fair number of people backed it there. Still not that many though.

Personally, I think the perks and tiers are priced too high (I say that having pledged for the £70 signed soundtrack tier). It's worked for them, though, but I think they would have had a lot more pledges if the vanilla DVD and BluRay tiers were set lower.

necronom

Post by necronom » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:05 am

If anyone has a Slashdot account (or wants to create one for this), I submitted a story on the film, which may get posted on the main site, though it probably needs some votes to help. If you go HERE, you can click the + sign and vote it up. If it gets on the main pages of Slashdot, I'd expect a big boost in people backing the film, and we might all get a free upgrade to the extended edition, plus the film will be better the more money they have to make it.
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:11 pm

necronom wrote:There's a great interview with one of the makers of the film HERE. There are some great stories. You need to go to 66 minutes into it, and it's 2 hours long from there.

I can't wait for it to be released.

Even though it smashed through the Kickstarter target after 5 or 6 days, I'm still surprised that only 708 people (so far) in the world have actually ordered it. It's only £20 for the DVD now, or £30 for the Blu-ray (it was initially very expensive), and since almost 26,000 people backed Elite, which is only on the PC and Mac, I expected more interest.
I'm really looking forward to it too, although haven't ordered it yet, and I'm sure thats a common place to be. As soon as it's out, I'll order it. I think many would've been like me- Shot onto kickstarter and paid if it looked like the funding needed a hand, but it smoked it so knew the funding was there and am happy to wait.
I'll be honest here, I've been a little burnt by a couple of kickstarters, where the loyal ones tend to be the ones that wait the longest to get the item. I know in some situations that is unavoidable, but it seems a bit unfair the early ones who helped fund the thing remain waiting while others just go and order when its out, and have the thing a month or two and you're still wondering whats going on :) You don't fund these things to be 'first on the block' or whatever, you just want to see the thing emerge. But it does seem a little rough you're left waiting literally months after it's out. That's my thinking behind it anyway, I do love this DVD, will get it on release. :)

necronom

Post by necronom » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:26 am

I'm not actually sure if you can get it once the Kickstarter is over. Maybe you can, but I'm not 100% sure.

Also, if we get to £60,000 (it's on £51,000 now), there will be a Special Edition, with something like 4.5 hours on it. If it doesn't hit that amount we may never see it. If it gets £100,000, everyone gets a free Special Edition.

I hope there aren't too many people holding back, as we may lose out on the extended version, plus, what is the point in not paying now? If you want it, get it now, and not only do you increase the change for the better version, you also improve the film.

There are only 6 days to go, so please support this film, and if anyone is on other gaming forums, then give it a mention, as this will only happen once. There will never be another chance to get a documentary done like this.

QLvsJAGUAR

Great upcoming film on the history of the UK Games Industry

Post by QLvsJAGUAR » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:02 am

Nicola and Anthony Caulfield are making good progress with their documentary film.

From Bedrooms To Billions - Trailer
http://youtu.be/bNKvpUyY-js

Just recently they uploaded 22 outtakes/snippets to their YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/NightfallFi ... &flow=grid

In my opinion those teasers of the upcoming film on the history of the UK Video Games Industry look very promising.

Folks, I think this project deserves our support. There are only 3 days left to participate in their crowd funding campaign. Supporters and funding are still very much welcomed, please visit and support their Kickstarter campaign - http://kck.st/V0U89j

Film's website - http://www.frombedroomstobillions.com/

A 40 minutes Podcast of an interview with Nicola and Anthony Caulfield - http://retroasylum.podomatic.com/entry/ ... 5_15-08_00

Let’s help to make this a blast production.

Cheers, Urs
http://www.youtube.com/QLvsJAGUAR
Sinclair, QL, ATARI, JAGUAR, NUON, APPLE & more...

Room5

Post by Room5 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:03 am

The Kickstarter page is counting down in hours, rather than days now!

If you haven't pledged, please do. Surely this is a 'must have' for all RG subscribers and there must be way more than ~1000 of them (?) I agree that the pledge level structure has been a bit of a shambles and things are generally too expensive, but the basic prices for a download or DVD are reasonable for something that is being produced in relatively low volume.

Simon.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:26 am

Room5 wrote:the pledge level structure has been a bit of a shambles
Sadly, it's often the way for projects that either aren't doing well (ProPinball) or ones that keep wanting to up the ante regarding what they might achieve. I pledged in the end, but only for the DVD. The audio stuff seemed oddly expensive.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:31 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:
Room5 wrote:the pledge level structure has been a bit of a shambles
Sadly, it's often the way for projects that either aren't doing well (ProPinball) or ones that keep wanting to up the ante regarding what they might achieve. I pledged in the end, but only for the DVD. The audio stuff seemed oddly expensive.
Yeah will probably pledge before the times up, but also for the DVD only. Even then it's 25 quid for us overseas which is still a little expensive, although a unique limited product.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:10 pm

It got the 60,000 quid threshold, so the special edition looks a go ahead for fans who contributed with the aim of making it happen. On their website you can preorder the DVD/Bluray anytime, so non kickstarters can still get it (along with other souvenirs).

It does look like a well crafted labour of love, from snippets seen on the trailer. :)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:08 pm

Which decade is this due for release?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:26 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Which decade is this due for release?
The kickstarter quoted it as Sept this year I think...but I remember the 'Get Lamp' docu took quite a while longer than quoted. I'll keep their site on my faves and keep an eye on it, I'd be stunned if it stays on schedule though, most of these things are usually at least a few months over. It does look good though.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:56 pm

Get Lamp wasn't too bad, it only had the one campaign iirc. This one seems to have been on the go forever.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

PaulEMoz

Post by PaulEMoz » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:57 am

kiwimike wrote:It got the 60,000 quid threshold, so the special edition looks a go ahead for fans who contributed with the aim of making it happen. On their website you can preorder the DVD/Bluray anytime, so non kickstarters can still get it (along with other souvenirs).
Those that pledged over £120. I do think they'd have got more money with better-placed pledge levels... I mean, I'd love the Special Edition, but I'd already pledged £80 for the BluRay and signed soundtrack CD, and I simply couldnt go any higher than that.