'Bedrooms to Billions' film project - how you can help!

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Antiriad2097

Re: 'Bedrooms to Billions' film project - how you can help!

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:00 am

Nikolai wrote:I'm planning to buy the movie for my birthday.
Your 50th?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:31 am

I think it is down to the individual. It is really expensive, and probably totally depends how much you want featurette interviews on well known games from the makers. For me, it was worth it as I love the subject and material, and knew this is something I will keep for life, and enjoy watching a few times.
But- If you the sort of person that just wants to watch it once and that's it- It's an expensive upgrade for that. You may just want the standard DVD...I'm sure much of those extra bits are on utube for a one off watch :)

On the upcoming Amiga DVD. I am interested, but not prepaying this time...will just buy when it comes out. And just a standard version.

necronom

Post by necronom » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:38 am

kiwimike wrote:On the upcoming Amiga DVD. I am interested, but not prepaying this time...will just buy when it comes out. And just a standard version.
There is only one version, it's much cheaper than the first film, and if we get a few more pre-orders we'll all get an extra hour of extras.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:57 pm

necronom wrote:
kiwimike wrote:On the upcoming Amiga DVD. I am interested, but not prepaying this time...will just buy when it comes out. And just a standard version.
There is only one version, it's much cheaper than the first film, and if we get a few more pre-orders we'll all get an extra hour of extras.
Cool, thanks for that, I haven't done much research on this one so good to know this one is a bit better priced. I was always more keen in the DVD of the eight bit era, but there's still plenty of fascinating stuff here for sure. I'd love to be hearing from the makers of Flashback for example which by the looks of what has scrolled past on FB will be there :)

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:27 pm

This has now popped up on Steam, standard and deluxe editions for £6.29 and £9.89 respectively until Tuesday. Obviously it's digital only but far better than the prices on their website.

Nikolai

Post by Nikolai » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:17 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Nikolai wrote:I'm planning to buy the movie for my birthday.
Your 50th?
I'm 29 today, so no.:p

Thanks guys for the feedback, guess I'll save myself a few bucks then.:)

fozmcfc

Post by fozmcfc » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:49 am

I really enjoyed the film, until the Sega and Nintendo consoles started being talked about. Then my interest faded a bit as I wasn't a console fan of that era. So whilst I could see it was a natural end, it didn't hold much interest for me.

I would have preferred more on the 16 bit era as we still had some great games, from some great software houses and also I would have like a bit more on the software houses that started to disappear.

I see there is an Amiga years in the pipeline, so I guess that's why we didn't get more than a couple of minutes discussion about them.

I would have preferred to have seen a part one 80's era for 90 minutes, followed by a part two 90's era 30 minutes until the end of the Amiga/Atari ST being well supported, that could have focussed on some great mags of the time also. Then the final 30 minutes, about Sega/Nintendo, the current situation and the antidotes.

Overall though if you have an interest and/or were around from the beginning of the home computing era in the early 80's, then it is well, well, well, worth a buy.

I look forward to the Amiga version.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri May 27, 2016 6:55 pm

So...the second BTB is out now, The Amiga years, as digital download.

I will get it, but I wasn't preordering this time. But I will wait until the physical copy is out

Anyone downloaded and watched yet care to review...? :)

necronom

Post by necronom » Sun May 29, 2016 9:08 am

If you liked the first one, you'll like this one. It's the same sort of format, where the interviewers tell the story. Lots of interviews, clips, game footage (some by me :D ), and very professionally made.

It's one of those times when 2.5 hours went by in about an hour!

There's bits on where the people came from before the Amiga, the people who made it and stories about making it and planning it, and what was happening at the time with other companies. The launch event is mentioned, with a very animated RJ, who is always great every time I've seen him interviewed. Demos, the Video Toaster and music get their moments as well as the games. I think the only thing I missed was a bit about after Commodore went bust, and the more advanced games that came afterwards, like the ones that ClickBoom released, and Myst, and other CD games. There is a 3 second clip of me playing Genetic Species in the pre-end credits bit, so at least there was a tiny bit of what came later.

I really liked it.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

dpg50000

Post by dpg50000 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:31 am

I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with Necronom's review. I was a big fan of the first film, and thought they did a fantastic job on it. The Amiga Years, in my opinion, falls far short of the high standard they set with that though.

First, the good - the historical footage is of a high quality, well cleaned up and looks great on a big tv. There's interviews with the Amiga design team, the marketing team etc., interspersed with historical footage, all of which is quite interesting (if at times, a little dry).

However, once past the history of how the Amiga came to be and was launched, things go downhill. There's too little time spent on the key games (Defender of the Crown being a notable exception) and key publishers are only really mentioned in passing, other than maybe Cinemaware. Conversely, the section on the demo scene is overly long and doesn't add much at all. There's also nothing about the later Amiga's, such as the 1200 with the AGA chipset or the failed variants such as the CD TV.

Overall, 6/10.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:30 am

Reading around the net, the reviews tend to be for the most part positive, but criticism tends to be of a similar nature.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:33 pm

Just received an email saying the physical copies are now available, and there are both Standard and special editions.

Will most likely get the standard...but in another pay. Just bought Thomas Dolbys book this week :lol: Edited add on is that Amazon UK has the original BTB DVD/BR quite cheap now. So may well be worth waiting as the second one should appear. I'm in no hurry so probably will do that, especially as the standard is 20 and the special ed is 40 quid! :shock: