'Bedrooms to Billions' film project - how you can help!

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Greyfox

Re: 'Bedrooms to Billions' film project - how you can help!

Post by Greyfox » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:11 pm

Just a little bit, but after 2hrs of the same formula of interview style, I think it should of amp'ed the content or cover an overall premise to what it all means or meant, the USA ones do this and is a great way to end and tie up a documentary this somehow failed to do this, I loved it, but it did near the end start to become monotiness but just enough for you to hang in there till he end.

Sure the end should be the best section for you Darran, as you and the magazine are credited in the credit roll, big accolade that :)
↓↓Click Link to See More
[url=http://www.greyfoxbooks.com[/url]

ivarf

Post by ivarf » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:45 am

PostieDoc wrote: It is worth remembering that the Spectrum sold around 5 million units and Amstrad 2.5 million.
3 million according to amstrad.com

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:20 am

ivarf wrote:
PostieDoc wrote: It is worth remembering that the Spectrum sold around 5 million units and Amstrad 2.5 million.
3 million according to amstrad.com
The point remains the same.

sem

Post by sem » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:46 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Just watched the documentary. Did anyone else find it really tales off in the last 30 minutes?
Yup, it does rather.

necronom

Post by necronom » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:07 am

The Amiga BtoB Kickstarter has started :-)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/11 ... miga-years
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Tabe

Post by Tabe » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:46 pm

Watched this over the weekend. Is it possible to think something is well done and yet still be disappointed? If so, that's where I am. In terms of production, the movie is well done, with better production values than I've seen in similar documentaries. As for the rest...

I am a US gamer. 99% of my familiarity with the history of British gaming comes from reading Retro Gamer. Still, there wasn't a TON of new information in the movie for me. Not that there necessarily SHOULD be but when you're pitching a product to a niche market, and that market is already going to be very familiar with what you're pitching, it seems like you dig harder for "new" info. Additionally, for a movie whose title is "...to BILLIONS", I expected a little more on the numbers and figures - there were a few mentions but nothing as specific as I would have liked. I did like the flow of the movie as it seemed to do a nice job of moving from one era to another with lots of accompanying game footage to show the improvement in graphics, etc. And the last bit about the increased size in dev teams and the disappearance of so many UK devs was also really good.

In the end, though, this felt "solid" or "good" rather than great. Perhaps it's just too large a subject for 2-1/2 hours to give me the depth and detail I want? I dunno. Not having the Stamper brothers in the film hurt it as well though that's obviously not necessarily the fault of the filmmakers.

Side note: wish they'd done overlays on top of the gameplay footage stating the game and platform.

Bottom line: 7/10, maybe 7.5/10.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:31 pm

Thats pretty much how I feel Tabe.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:58 pm

Tabe wrote:Side note: wish they'd done overlays on top of the gameplay footage stating the game and platform.
That would make a nice subtitle track. They could add in a lot of detail via text that way, little facts about the games and people on screen, little snippets of extra info about the companies involved, or tales that otherwise landed on the cutting room floor.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:29 am

Tabe wrote:Watched this over the weekend. Is it possible to think something is well done and yet still be disappointed? If so, that's where I am. In terms of production, the movie is well done, with better production values than I've seen in similar documentaries. As for the rest...

I am a US gamer. 99% of my familiarity with the history of British gaming comes from reading Retro Gamer. Still, there wasn't a TON of new information in the movie for me. Not that there necessarily SHOULD be but when you're pitching a product to a niche market, and that market is already going to be very familiar with what you're pitching, it seems like you dig harder for "new" info. Additionally, for a movie whose title is "...to BILLIONS", I expected a little more on the numbers and figures - there were a few mentions but nothing as specific as I would have liked. I did like the flow of the movie as it seemed to do a nice job of moving from one era to another with lots of accompanying game footage to show the improvement in graphics, etc. And the last bit about the increased size in dev teams and the disappearance of so many UK devs was also really good.

In the end, though, this felt "solid" or "good" rather than great. Perhaps it's just too large a subject for 2-1/2 hours to give me the depth and detail I want? I dunno. Not having the Stamper brothers in the film hurt it as well though that's obviously not necessarily the fault of the filmmakers.

Side note: wish they'd done overlays on top of the gameplay footage stating the game and platform.

Bottom line: 7/10, maybe 7.5/10.
I understand what you're saying there, although I feel it's one of the best Docus made really and rate it higher. But most Documentaries in gaming history struggle covering everything possible. The only way around this is to make it a series...as to increase the depth is to lengthen the running time even more- Then run the risk of being rated boring and overlong.
The overlay idea is brilliant though.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:23 am

This did feel a bit like episode 1 of a series though, since it didn't give us much new info, largely stating the obvious, common stuff we already know.

I thought it was just me, because I'd grown up with it and read a lot about it, but if even US viewers are finding it a bit bland that's worrying.

Its a solid documentary, but its just not all I'd wished for, and now they're moving onto 16 bit. I want more 8 bit computer stuff.

Get Lamp is probably the nearest similar thing that I found altogether more enjoyable, it didn't feel like a chore to watch.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:13 pm

Totally agree with you about Get Lamp, I adore that Docu. I love the genre. I felt that documentary covered it really well, although again that copped a little flack for focusing on US/Infocom...I imagine it's difficult to cover everything in a single feature length doc. I loved the free coin...that was a terrific touch :)

I know what you mean though...I do feel some of the issue is actually ours in some ways. It's a tough audience to create a documentary for, as the majority of game history fans are absolutely passionate in the extreme. They will notice even the most slight of errors or omissions, and as most are basically passionate students it is hard to find 'new old' stuff. RG magazine has the same issue where some things are very hard to dig out. You cannot interview people that do not wish to be a part of it, or may have even passed on. I guess nothing is perfect though.

I'd say my favourite of all would still be Game Invasion, although again it just gives a good overview of the US market without a lot of depth. But what it does it does well.

necronom

Post by necronom » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:33 pm

There's an interview with them about the Amiga film http://retrodomination.podbean.com/e/re ... iga-years/

I haven't heard it yet, but I've always liked the interviews they've given in the past, and their enthusiasm always comes across.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:47 pm

I finally decided to bite the bullet and download this.

I detailed my thoughts in this video review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GfJjEQWEPU

Nikolai

Post by Nikolai » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:03 am

Hi guys,
I'm planning to buy the movie for my birthday. Question is, regular download or special download? Price difference is 20 pound. Is it worth it?

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:40 am

Nikolai wrote:Hi guys,
I'm planning to buy the movie for my birthday. Question is, regular download or special download? Price difference is 20 pound. Is it worth it?
I would just recommend the main documentary. The mini docs are short and are largely full of well documented games. It's certainly not worth the extra cash in my book.