Much more DOS and old PC gaming coverage please!!

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

kiwimike

Re: Much more DOS and old PC gaming coverage please!!

Post by kiwimike » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:51 am

merman wrote:Again with the argument on balance and coverage. PC games get covered. RG is not ignoring the format. It's a question of available material and expertise. One argument is that that era is when development teams got bigger, and so it makes it trickier to track down and interview people.

GamesTM's Retro section has featured some PC games lately (Theme Hospital and Civilization, for example) so it is possible we will see connected articles/interviews filter through to RG.

Yeah, fair point IMO. It's covered fairly, sometimes covered in some issues, sometimes not. TBH I have never been disappointed with an issue yet...there will of course be some issues I enjoy more than others due to my preferences, but I still enjoy other issues that focus on my points of less interest. I learn something! :)

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:56 am

One of my favourite PC strategy games, Civilization II, was featured in one of the issues of Retro Gamer as a reader revival. It was written (or should that be typed?) by yours truly.

Flat Eric

Post by Flat Eric » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:51 am

Was there ever a Baldur's Gate footage (or Icewind Dale, Planescape Toment,...) in RG? I liked that RG101 had an Diablo coverage, just the right way.
PSN: FlatEric81 Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/retrostage

ivarf

Post by ivarf » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:49 am

kelp7 wrote:
Jagfest_UK wrote:Firstly its not really an opinion as its fact that the ST & Amiga were far more widely supported by software houses during this period than the PC. One look at a site like Moby Games will tell you that, only the major full price releases got PC versions. Also exactly how many PC magazines was there at this time dedicated to gaming? Go read back issues of C&VG, the most popular multi-format magazine of this time and see how much PC content they had.

I don't believe for one minute that you could buy a PC all set-up for gaming for the same price as an ST back in 1987. The price of having to buy a monitor alone would have at least doubled the price, then you had the price of things like a sound card and a joystick. Not even close.

The post by DreamcastRIP proves RG are far from ignoring the PC and he has pointed out it gets more coverage than other more popular games machines of that period.
Fair enough. I'm about to get started on my online PC magazine archive actually. Both PCA and PC Plus were covering games from their start in around '86 or '87. I admit that these are not magazines that are dedicated to gaming but they were certainly covering both full price and shareware releases quite early on. As far as cost of machine goes, well, I guess it depends what you are prepared to settle for when you say "all set-up for gaming" :) I mean, i was happy to settle for what the Amstrad machine gave, even though that was just an internal bleeper (which could produce decent music, see Wizball and Quadralien for instance) and CGA graphics (monochrome monitor in my case). Okay, I admit, I can't remember the price exactly now and maybe I'm mistaken but I thought you could get the base model Amstrad PC1512 (single disk-drive, mono monitor) for about 400 quid. Maybe i'm a bit off there...
Amstrad PC sales 12 million, almost all in Europe. Of course, many of these weren't used for gaming, but the potential was there. For a 3-4 years the Amstrad PCs was the most sold PC in Europe, maxed at a market share of 20-25% of the PC market.
http://www.amstrad.com/products/archive/index.html

I have seen a total sales figure for Atari ST mentioned at 1.5 million machines and another mention 6 million STs

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:03 am

1.5 million ST's were sold in the UK and I would imagine the majority of those owners played games on them. Obviously the ST was used as a machine for desktop publishing and ruled supreme as far as the music scene goes so it would be wrong to say they were all bought with playing games in mind.

I would imagine that the majority of those Amstrad PC's were sold to businesses and used for things like word processors and spreadsheets. Why would want to put up with a beeper and CGA graphics when you could have full colour and 3 channel sound for half the price?

gman72

Post by gman72 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:09 pm

It's deffo true to say that many STs were purchased for use with music software like Cakewalk because of the Midi compatability.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

ivarf

Post by ivarf » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:27 pm

If I could be your RetroDictator, I would rule for definitely more 80s UK computing, all 8 and 16 bit COMPUTERS that was sold in the UK, popular or not plus adding everything coinups.

No kiddie connsoles! :roll:

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:30 am

ivarf wrote:If I could be your RetroDictator, I would rule for definitely more 80s UK computing, all 8 and 16 bit COMPUTERS that was sold in the UK, popular or not plus adding everything coinups.
Yes I agree, that means you can cover the Sharp 8-bits right now please :)
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:48 am

Were a lot of people introduced to PC's through school? I know I was. PC's and the Archimedes. Not sure if that would be a feature? Being allowed into the computer room to play games was always a treat if you'd finished work early or something.

Looking back now, I wonder if the teachers even knew what they were doing??
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:08 am

greenberet79 wrote:Were a lot of people introduced to PC's through school? I know I was. PC's and the Archimedes.
I was introduced to apostrophes at school, that's for sure.

</pedant>
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:51 am

I can't remember the school PCs very well since they were rarely seen in the hands of students for fear they might blow up or something. I think it was mostly Apple ][s, though it could have been something similar in style.

We did have a Spectrum, but the teacher learned more from us than the other way round. Nice bloke, he took it well.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

TMR

Post by TMR » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:15 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:I can't remember the school PCs very well since they were rarely seen in the hands of students for fear they might blow up or something. I think it was mostly Apple ][s, though it could have been something similar in style.
We had about fifteen BBC Micros and i think it was thirty RM Link 480Zs networked to a solitary RM Nimbus with a whopping 70Mb hard disk that was bigger than the machine itself!
Antiriad2097 wrote:We did have a Spectrum, but the teacher learned more from us than the other way round. Nice bloke, he took it well.
Same here with all but one of the teaching staff who wrote some of the network handlers... one of the other teachers was obviously reading up the night before each lesson and, when a friend of mine used a GOSUB command (and it was the optimal way to handle the assignment) before she'd got to that chapter she told him off!

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:09 pm

Just noticed this thread...regarding PC prices and Amstrad PC prices in particular for example in 1989 the Amiga was £399, the ST was probably £299 was on average cheaper than the Amiga in comparison Apricot PCs were £1500, IBM £2000, even when Amstrad released the 'mega PC' in 1993 based on 386 tech it' was still £1000 at launch and was the cheapest PC in the UK at the time...simple put there was nothing around until the late 90s that could compete with the Amiga and ST computer tech and price wise.
Another point when people compare the FM Towns and X68000 to the Amiga and ST, yes they played home to better PC and arcade ports, but at the time these machines were upwards of £2000!

Price aside PCs were and still are a pain in the butt to use, not as easy to connect to a TV as with other computers at the time and since there wasnt a single hardware standard they will always be known as the 'soul less' computer and fewer people will have a 'connection’ to the hardware as with other standards..

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:01 pm

Soulless? What utter tosh!

If anything, the fact that I built, configured and upgraded my PC on my own meant that I had MORE of a "connection" to it. My PC was mine, its configuration and setup was unique to me.

I wouldn't argue PCs weren't hard to deal with, but that was part of the appeal.

Sure, we started from behind, but where is your Amiga now?! :P

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:45 pm

theantmeister wrote:Soulless? What utter tosh!

If anything, the fact that I built, configured and upgraded my PC on my own meant that I had MORE of a "connection" to it. My PC was mine, its configuration and setup was unique to me.

I wouldn't argue PCs weren't hard to deal with, but that was part of the appeal.

Sure, we started from behind, but where is your Amiga now?! :P
Still playing ALL the same games it did, shame any Windows can't manage that! :wink: