Much more DOS and old PC gaming coverage please!!

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

theantmeister

Re: Much more DOS and old PC gaming coverage please!!

Post by theantmeister » Wed May 30, 2012 4:22 am

Jagfest_UK wrote:The PC gets a lot more coverage than some other machines that were certainly more succesful, over here anyway, as games machines. The recent X-wing article proves that, I don't think it needs more at all.
It was great seeing a DOS game featured so prominently in the mag last issue, but I find it amazing you say that PC(*) games are given more coverage than they deserve.
kelp7 wrote:I have to admit a lot of the games I played (like Saboteur, Impossible Mission, Wizball, Arkanoid) were all just games you could get on other platforms.
This is true. A lot of my favourite PC games came from other platforms - Xenon, Xenon 2, Gauntlet 2, Karnov, Speedball 2, Gods, Wizball, Stargoose. I'd like to see more computer games in general from that period - Amiga, Atari ST and PC.
MattyC64c wrote:Perhaps an interesting article could be the rise of dedicated 3D graphics cards and 3D graphics processing in general. I would love to read that.
Yeah, I remember that period, it was a really exciting time for PC gaming. I remember an article in PC Zone (I think?) from around the time of the Playstation launch saying how consoles had finally overtaken PCs as the pinnacle of computer graphics. PCs were still stuck with software 3D engines, which didn't look brilliant. Then 3DFX came along and launched the whole 3D accelerator market and consoles never caught up again :mrgreen:

Also, I would love to see some making ofs of those really bad FMV games.

(*) Sorry, IBM & Compatible Personal Computers running MS-DOS 3.11 or higher :P

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Wed May 30, 2012 4:46 am

BTW I should add, I'm not anti a dos or PC feature or two... I'd like to see one about the shareware sector at that time, Commander Keen, Duke Nuke Em, etc.... if its not been done before.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed May 30, 2012 5:07 am

slacey1070 wrote:This.... . . I remember getting a new PC, getting it home... and nothing dos-wise would run. Frustrating and not user friendly. Our IT department at the time put together a document to help people game at home.

That in itself says enough...

If you didn't have any issues, you were a) lucky b) only played minesweeper.
I feel your pain.

The problem with MS-DOS was that it only supported 640k of RAM. This was fine to start with, but as games got more complex, they needed more and more memory. The other problem was that drivers also used up this same 640k. By the time Windows 95 came out, PCs needed drivers for sound cards, mice and CD-ROM drives. This all ate into that 640k. A lot of times you would have your sound and mouse driver loaded and then run a game. It would try to squeeze into the 640k and if it couldn't, it just wouldn't run.

That's why you needed to have multiple config.sys files and autoexec.bats. There was a tool called Memmaker that came with MS-DOS 6. It would look at your config.sys and autoexec.bat and move drivers into upper memory, freeing up the 640k for games.

Of course, if you had the game configured to use a sound card and you didn't load the driver, it would crash too. So overall, yes, DOS gaming was a pain to get working. It was needlessly fiddly.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed May 30, 2012 6:08 am

theantmeister wrote:
kelp7 wrote:I have to admit a lot of the games I played (like Saboteur, Impossible Mission, Wizball, Arkanoid) were all just games you could get on other platforms.
This is true. A lot of my favourite PC games came from other platforms - Xenon, Xenon 2, Gauntlet 2, Karnov, Speedball 2, Gods, Wizball, Stargoose. I'd like to see more computer games in general from that period - Amiga, Atari ST and PC.
And to be fair to RG, that's so often the case when this argument comes up. You get readers saying "why can't you cover
  • ?" when said list is full of games that originated elsewhere. That said, the mag does, when relevant, ensure the PC gets top billing. I recall way back when we did Alter Ego, I took most of the grabs from the PC version, given that this is the platform it originated on.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Wed May 30, 2012 6:25 am

Can the mag PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE (if it hasnt already) have a large feature on PC shareware in the late 80's early 90s.. and APOGEE need to be covered in length, all their excellent DOS games that were specific to PC and so fill the criteria of not being born elsewhere and ported..

Hocus Pocus
Halloween Harry
Raptor
Wacky Wheels
Bio Menace
Blake Stone
Jill of the Jungle
Vinyl Godness from Mars
Crystal caves
Duke Nukem 1 + 2
Monster Bash
Mystic Towers
Secret Angent
Pharoahs Tomb

and many many more games like this that bring back awesome memories for me, and im sure for others who grew up with a PC in the early 90's

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Wed May 30, 2012 6:31 am

ChipTune wrote:Can the mag PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE (if it hasnt already) have a large feature on PC shareware in the late 80's early 90s.. and APOGEE need to be covered in length, all their excellent DOS games that were specific to PC and so fill the criteria of not being born elsewhere and ported..

Hocus Pocus
Halloween Harry
Raptor
Wacky Wheels
Bio Menace
Blake Stone
Jill of the Jungle
Vinyl Godness from Mars
Crystal caves
Duke Nukem 1 + 2
Monster Bash
Mystic Towers
Secret Angent
Pharoahs Tomb

and many many more games like this that bring back awesome memories for me, and im sure for others who grew up with a PC in the early 90's

That is a beautiful list...
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

TMR

Post by TMR » Wed May 30, 2012 6:52 am

ChipTune wrote:Can the mag PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE (if it hasnt already) have a large feature on PC shareware in the late 80's early 90s.. and APOGEE need to be covered in length, all their excellent DOS games that were specific to PC and so fill the criteria of not being born elsewhere and ported..

Raptor
i'll do this one as long as i'm allowed to refer to it as "shyte" throughout and use the phrase "Amiga games like Battle Squadron, despite being five years senior, urinated on it from a vast height".

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Wed May 30, 2012 8:08 am

Hocus Pocus
Halloween Harry
Raptor
W...........
nah, let's have:

Pengo
Sopwith
Buck Rogers Planet of Zoom
PSI-5 Trading Company
Starflight
Last edited by kelp7 on Wed May 30, 2012 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Wed May 30, 2012 8:15 am

Personally, they could do with more Gameboy

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Wed May 30, 2012 10:05 am

samhain81 wrote:Personally, they could do with more Gameboy
yeah Id be up for seeing slightly more handheld stuff, even if just screenshots / small mention when talking about conversions.

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Wed May 30, 2012 2:40 pm

I wasn't very technicaly minded when I first moved into PC's. I had my first PC in 1996. Before then I had only ever used them at a training centre, and then I only used Windows 3.11 software, I didn't start playing with MS-DOS until I had my own machine. Yes, I found MS-DOS configurations confusing at first. I couldn't get my head around it. Later, as I researched it, I found it a lot easier. But the fact remains, MS-DOS wasn't user friendly, it was, quite frankly, archaic.

I remember havinvg to return my first PC to the shop to get the tech guy to configure it for sound in DOS, as it hadn't been configured properly. I was too affraid to do it myself at first.

I do remember, that eventually I configured DOS in my Win 95 machine with a perfect set-up that loaded every MS-DOS game, no need to create batch files.

merman

Post by merman » Thu May 31, 2012 1:03 pm

I didn't play/have access to a PC in the Nineties, so I would naturally shy away from pitching articles predominantly aimed at that era...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Thu May 31, 2012 2:54 pm

The late 90s were probably my favourite time to be into games, probably more so than 16bit. Just after 3dfx died a death and MS DOS had been superceded by Windows and Direct X (I think ?).

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu May 31, 2012 2:57 pm

3DFX was at its peak in the late 90s. I bought my first proper PC around 98 and not long afterwards stuck a Voodoo 3 in it. It wasn't until a bit after that other cards finally caught up, probably nearer 2000 or so.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Thu May 31, 2012 4:02 pm

Yeah, MS-DOS had been dead for years when 3DFX went out of business.