Much more DOS and old PC gaming coverage please!!

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

jdanddiet

Re: Much more DOS and old PC gaming coverage please!!

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:53 pm

certainly didn't with me, I was still playing my MD then...
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:40 pm

I was PC gaming on my Oric long before the MD arrived ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:48 pm

I didn't know a single person who used a PC compatible for gaming until the mid-nineties

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:04 pm

PC or IBM PC compatible?

We all had our Sinclair, Atari or Commodore PCs.

I recall working in an office in the late 80s to early 90s and passing lunch breaks with sessions on Sierra adventures and PGA competitions.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

kleinemaus

Post by kleinemaus » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:29 am

AmigaJay wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:
AmigaJay wrote:kept me going until 95 when the PsX came out
PSX wasn't released until 2003:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSX_(DVR)

:twisted:
Haha very funny! I still use code names for a few consoles, I find them more catchy, heres a few i prefer...PSX, Ultra 64, Dolphin, Revolution.....not so sure about Nitro for the DS though!

Wasn't just a code name, it was widely used during the early PSX era, I even have the British Sony Pro/PSX Pro magazines from that era:

kleinemaus

Post by kleinemaus » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:37 am

Anyway, PC gaming took off in UK early 90s, I bought my first PC in 91, a 286 Olivetti, it was crap, soon to be replaced with a 386 HP Vectra, which was good. In 92 I bought a single speed CD ROM, which was GBP 150.
Return to Zork, the Star Wars games, Day of the Tentacle, Pool of Darkness, those were the must have games.
I fondly remember 'edlin'

Yes, during the early days, Apple ][, A8, C64 also had the name 'PC', but this soon faded with the arrival of the IBM and IBM compatible

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:45 pm

kleinemaus wrote:Wasn't just a code name, it was widely used during the early PSX era, I even have the British Sony Pro/PSX Pro magazines from that era
It was just a code name, Sony never officially used it on any material once the Playstation brand had been declared. The fact 3rd party media continued to reference the name doesn't change that.

pforson

Post by pforson » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:04 am

The Laird wrote:I didn't know a single person who used a PC compatible for gaming until the mid-nineties
I didn't know a single person who used an Atari Jaguar for anything until... nope, I've never known a single person who's used an Atari Jaguar.
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:23 am

pforson wrote:
The Laird wrote:I didn't know a single person who used a PC compatible for gaming until the mid-nineties
I didn't know a single person who used an Atari Jaguar for anything until... nope, I've never known a single person who's used an Atari Jaguar.
What does that have to do with this topic :?

pforson

Post by pforson » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:55 am

The Laird wrote:
pforson wrote:
What does that have to do with this topic :?
I first bought a PC in '93, as did most of my friends, as upgrades from Amigas for the sole purpose of gaming. The fact that YOU didn't know anyone who used a PC for gaming is irrelevant and proves nothing.

I assume you owned a Jag back in the day - therefore my statement is also, equally irrelevant.

If someone makes a pointless statement, I like to reply in kind.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:48 am

pforson wrote:I first bought a PC in '93, as did most of my friends, as upgrades from Amigas for the sole purpose of gaming. The fact that YOU didn't know anyone who used a PC for gaming is irrelevant and proves nothing.

I assume you owned a Jag back in the day - therefore my statement is also, equally irrelevant.

If someone makes a pointless statement, I like to reply in kind.
My comment was far from irrelevent, firstly because people were talking about when PC's became popular and others mentioned how they were still using consoles around this time. In 1993 I was actually working for Game (who sold PC games so I was very aware of them) but I didn't know anyone who did any gaming on a PC, thus my comment was totally relevent to the discussion. Secondly this topic is about the PC, not the Jaguar, making your comment totally irrelevant and it just seemed like the Jaguar was mentioned just for the sole purpose of trying to irk me in some way.

pforson

Post by pforson » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:29 am

The Laird wrote: In 1993 I was actually working for Game (who sold PC games so I was very aware of them) but I didn't know anyone who did any gaming on a PC
If nobody was gaming on a PC, why were Game selling PC games?

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:14 am

pforson wrote:
The Laird wrote: In 1993 I was actually working for Game (who sold PC games so I was very aware of them) but I didn't know anyone who did any gaming on a PC
If nobody was gaming on a PC, why were Game selling PC games?
And perhaps even more to the point, why were people making games for it? :lol:

Seriously, there's a well documented history of PC games dating right back to the early 80s, so quite why anyone thinks their personal anecdotes about whether anyone they knew were playing them adds much to the argument escapes me.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:15 am

pforson wrote:If nobody was gaming on a PC, why were Game selling PC games?
Because I never said that, I said I didn't know anyone personally who used a PC for gaming.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:29 am

pforson wrote:
You know me, I have one. Though admittedly it was a dead system when I bought it. I came close to buying one bitd but then Sony started issuing promo material for the PS1 so I held off. I was something of an Atari fanboy back then being an ST owner. I'd have bought a Falcon too, but I just didn't have the cash having recently started living alone and preferring to buy lager instead.