Home Brew Section

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

rolan

Re: Home Brew Section

Post by rolan » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:22 pm

I really just didnt care less about the homebrew stuff in the past, but now that you've finally expanded to cover console formats I actually read this section instead of rolling my eyes and going "wow another pacman clone for the spectrum- woop de doo", to be fair its always a very well written section, even if I have no interest in the format I often read the whole section now because that I know you're being fair and covering consoles also :)

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:47 pm

i think the homebrew stuff is great, the line up of homebrew and new old games on show at play was ace. Fave one i played was streemerz on the nes, bloody ace game :-) keep covering it i say :D

shmuk

Post by shmuk » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:09 pm

The bad thing about homebrew for me is that it's a very niche market that people aren't really prepared to pay much for, which makes supply limited and prices high.
- Shmuk Lidooha

joefish

Post by joefish » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:33 pm

What utter rubbish - at least 80% of it is offered as a free download.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:44 pm

joefish wrote:What utter rubbish - at least 80% of it is offered as a free download.
Absolutely. Plus, boxed homebrew games on CD-Rs are often very affordable too, e.g. the price of recent SEGA Dreamcast homebrew releases such as Fast Striker, Dux, Rush Rush Rally Racing, et al. Cartidge-based games often tend to be pricier, e.g. recent boxed homebrew releases for Atari Jaguar, but, then again, some boxed cart releases have been reasonably priced, e.g. ZAKU for Atari Lynx.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:46 pm

shmuk wrote:The bad thing about homebrew for me is that it's a very niche market that people aren't really prepared to pay much for, which makes supply limited and prices high.
Isn't that a rather contradictory statement? People aren't prepared to pay much, so prices are high?

Prices are sometimes high (usually for the cart stuff) because of the high costs of low production runs, precisely because its a niche product.

Non physical or optical media tends to be very cost effective for purchasers, as the low production cost usually transfer directly to the end user.

Maybe you're just looking in the wrong places?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:50 pm

The last homebrew I bought was Blackout! for the Jaguar

I got the CD version and it cost me £25 plus shipping - incredibly reasonable indeed!

shmuk

Post by shmuk » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:41 am

Well, what I meant was cartridge-based reproductions like Halo 2600 or Battle Kid: Fortress of Peril.

I never really thought of CD or downloadable retro homebrews =/
- Shmuk Lidooha

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:13 am

shmuk wrote:Well, what I meant was cartridge-based reproductions like Halo 2600 or Battle Kid: Fortress of Peril.

I never really thought of CD or downloadable retro homebrews =/
Well we're mostly adults here and can afford any new homebrew games on cartridge. I play mostly 8 bit homebrew and thats often free, if not there might be a tiny 2 pound charge which is nothing and i like to support the devs.

People should encourage homebrew, i've seen some of these 'new' games on cartridge for various systems and they're brilliant

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:36 am

I gave my game away for free last year and there are still people actually hassling me because they want to pay for a version on casette with a proper label - I don't have much choice!

BobS

Post by BobS » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:19 pm

Personally my homebrew games are released for free, but I encourage people to make a donation to their development. Most people don't donate however. Those who do, or who buy physical cassette versions of my ZX-Spectrum games, are very much appreciated and I'm trying to offer additional benefits for "subscribers" in the future (exclusive titles, extra levels etc).

In a time where millions is spent willingly on 69p iOS games it seems slightly bizarre to me how little of that paradigm extends to retro games. :?

mrspud

Post by mrspud » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:24 am

BobS wrote:In a time where millions is spent willingly on 69p iOS games it seems slightly bizarre to me how little of that paradigm extends to retro games. :?
Perhaps retro homebrew is considered more of a curio than anything else. Played for five minutes, enough to form an opinion and then cast aside to try out the next? Or are we all used to getting something for nothing (legitimately or otherwise) that the thought of rewarding someone's efforts never enters our consciousness? Apple's lock down on their devices and the requirement of the app store promotes the purchasing of software on that platform - for most iphone users they haven't got any choice other than to pay for the apps and games they want.
New Amiga, SAM Coupé and Speccy games available at http://blackjet.co.uk

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:19 pm

BobS wrote:Personally my homebrew games are released for free, but I encourage people to make a donation to their development. Most people don't donate however. Those who do, or who buy physical cassette versions of my ZX-Spectrum games, are very much appreciated and I'm trying to offer additional benefits for "subscribers" in the future (exclusive titles, extra levels etc).

In a time where millions is spent willingly on 69p iOS games it seems slightly bizarre to me how little of that paradigm extends to retro games. :?
The "most people don't donate" thing isn't something unique to retro homebrew, it's true of the majority of all freeware.
It also needs to be noted that a decent number of the 69p purchases for iOS games are actually people buying retro games.
The sad fact is that if you offer something for free and ask for a donation then most people will just take the game and not bother. I've hardly ever made a donation for games I've downloaded and I've played many such games over the years. I guess if you're that bothered you should sell your game rather than giving it out for free. And also realise that the market for selling physical copies of a ZX Spectrum game is going to be very small indeed but the sale of it digitally on a platform like iOS has the potential to be far larger.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:20 pm

I've been playing around with writing games for the Vectrex lately, and if I ever make something good enough to sell I'd like to offer it to people on cartridges. But the costs involved are very prohibitive and would mean a fairly expensive product.

I'd be happy to give away the .bin's for free though, as it's the collectability of a home-brew cart or cd/dvd that makes it something to own for me!

Of course, it also helps if it's a good game ;)

By far the majority of home-brew / PD games are totally free though!
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:21 am

GarryG wrote:I've been playing around with writing games for the Vectrex lately, and if I ever make something good enough to sell I'd like to offer it to people on cartridges. But the costs involved are very prohibitive and would mean a fairly expensive product.

I'd be happy to give away the .bin's for free though, as it's the collectability of a home-brew cart or cd/dvd that makes it something to own for me!

Of course, it also helps if it's a good game ;)

By far the majority of home-brew / PD games are totally free though!
Well theres a Vectrex app coming to the app store hopefully late November, apparently theres some In App Purchases which will be different games/game collections including homebrew.

If you write a Vectrex game and its decent you should contact the makers as they 'may' give you some money to then put it into their game as an IAP or a collection of homebrew ones etc

Totally get what Bob says, i'm sure previously donations were quite thin ? I've bought Bobs games in the past as emulator images (i dont buy speccy tapes) so bought those from Cronosoft, i never send copies of these files to anyone else. As he says its strange as we live in a world of 69p apps but everyone still wants everything for free, same for iOS though, even if a games 69p you get a fair few tightwads waiting a month for it to be free and then moan later when the dev doesnt do anymore games (cant afford to) or goes freemium (boo hiss) because they have to try and make money.