Home Brew Section

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

chapperz

Re: Home Brew Section

Post by chapperz » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:05 pm

StickHead wrote:
chapperz wrote:I'm not really in favour of the XBLIG coverage as they are new games on new hardware and we are covering old machines aren't we?
You make a good point, but its so hard to find good games on XBLIG thanks to the turd ratio and Microsoft's general apathy to the whole platform that I wouldn't mind being pointed towards the odd retro-style gem.
And respect to you too StickHead as your point is very valid. Let's hope we can have both!
Long live the C64!!

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:13 am

Spacepatrol wrote:It would be nice to see some adventure game studio (AGS) games reviwed. There are some fantastic asventures out there and most have an Amiga look to the graphics, and play similar to lucasfilm adventures.
I second this. I would also add text games made by the quil... And or illustrator.
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:25 am

AmigaJay wrote:support active home brew companies other than 8bit ones.
I think I'm getting very confused as to what people are calling home brew now.
Surely home brew developers are not companies by definition. Are people mixing up home brew and indie, or will the new home brew sections also feature indi content, I for one wouldn't like that.

I would like to see more content for the older,PS1 and back, consoles as well as a best off list for the old computers.
But only real home brew, individual developers or hobby groups, not Indy software houses producing output with the primary aims of making a profit. Isn't the retrorated section already for this, or just review it as part of the general mag.
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:07 pm

Well I see what your saying, truth is though RG already cover indie publisher releases under the homebrew section, which no doubt confuses people too.
But the whole definitions arent as clear as water either, 'indie' to some means independent or individual making homebrew games or 'indie' to some means an independent publisher that publishers homebrew games on behalf of a developer.
To me 'homebrew' is a homemade game not for sale....same as the old PD titles.
That's why it would be better to split the Homebrew section into 2, one for homebrew and indie games that usually are freeware and the other section for indie software house releases that are sold for profit or for collectors.

TMR

Post by TMR » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:04 pm

AmigaJay wrote:To me 'homebrew' is a homemade game not for sale....same as the old PD titles.
And for some people, the word "homebrew" means a for sale cartridge that the author has personally etched the board and blown the EPROM for, nothing more or less and they will fight to defend that definition... seriously, it's quite scary in a not-particularly-scary-because-it's-a-forum kind of way.

Me personally, the definition of "homebrew" i'm working to is based on one of the earliest applications for home computers dating back to the 1970s and covers just about anything that doesn't have a commercial publisher behind it (if they have a day job and everyone is earning beer money in other words) so that's anything from a new Spectrum game freely available from WOS through to an FPGA-based clone machine like the ZX Evolution or Turbo Chameleon.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:23 am

I'd accept developers doing full-time jobs on a C= 64 or any retro system for the homebrew section. You can't go out and buy it in the shop anyway.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:57 pm

Anybody played the homebrew release Degz on the Jaguar? I spotted it on RGCD the other day.

http://www.rgcd.co.uk/2012/07/degz-atari-jaguar.html

This game is getting some serious love by a few of my friends on another forum, whereas I'm only seeing a competent Scramble clone that's nice enough but not that special in the context of what's vailable on the Jag.
It's the first time in a while I've had a bit of a do with people who just see the romance of homebrew and ignore what the game is actually offering.

What's the vibe on here generally about stuff like this? Is any game made by bedroom coders automatically the bees knees however modest it might be?
I tend to just see the game and give my opinion accordingly, even if it's freeware. I could do with getting a feel for this place and how homebrew (proper homebrew, rather than indie) is viewed. It might prevent me upsetting people in the future.

Any input welcome.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:37 pm

Tough one to call. With the ZX Spectrum for instance, some of the top commercial games from 1983 would review very badly in 1988. But which do you hold up as the standard for bedroom coders? I think what we can do is pay less attention to graphics, whatever the platform, and ask - does it have playability? So how does this compare to other Scramble clones on other systems? Maybe there are wasted opportunities to enhance the game, though clearly the aim here was to keep the original gameplay intact. Still, if it's fun, its a worthwhile game.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:57 pm

The Beans wrote:What's the vibe on here generally about stuff like this? Is any game made by bedroom coders automatically the bees knees however modest it might be?
With the Speccy theres a lot of homebrew, theres been some very good platformers (Egghead) which i think would have been very good £1.99 games or more for some of them back in the 80's

Theres a lot of new BASIC games, i must admit these dont hold any interest for me, i wasnt keen on BASIC games back in the 80's. Theres a lot of very good spanish games, again platformers but theres some nice variety there.

For the Speccy i really like the old skool graphics and sound, and as joefish says its about the playability. There have been some exceptional games out on the Speccy in the homebrew years which i'm sure a fair few would have got a Crash Smash in the 80's.

RetroRevival

Post by RetroRevival » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:59 am

Anybody played the homebrew release Degz on the Jaguar? I spotted it on RGCD the other day.
Yep. It's pants. Played scramble before? This is NOT it. Will be reviewing it shortly for a little project I am working on, but needless to say that there are some serious problems with the collision detection, the audio does not fit the visuals properly and if it really is a "homage to Scramble" as the dev's describe it, then they have missed the mark by quite a bit IMHO.

I get the "inset console here" fanboys who would think that an animated bouncing turd graphic burnt onto an eeprom for their console was the best thing in the world ever, but I try to live life by the fact that if you are going to put all that effort into something, at least get it right. It would not be the first time the dev's have released something half baked either, so frankly the problems found in Degz are no surprise.

I get the "love" for the release, but what I dont get is the lack of vision that any of them have for it as a game and what it provides. Admittedly, any release for an old machine is commendable, but I would rather have the dev's hold back for another x months to get it right than to deliver something that disappoints, which unfortunately is what happens with a lot of homebrew releases.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:37 am

RetroRevival wrote:
Yep. It's pants. Played scramble before? This is NOT it. Will be reviewing it shortly for a little project I am working on, but needless to say that there are some serious problems with the collision detection, the audio does not fit the visuals properly and if it really is a "homage to Scramble" as the dev's describe it, then they have missed the mark by quite a bit IMHO.

I get the "inset console here" fanboys who would think that an animated bouncing turd graphic burnt onto an eeprom for their console was the best thing in the world ever, but I try to live life by the fact that if you are going to put all that effort into something, at least get it right. It would not be the first time the dev's have released something half baked either, so frankly the problems found in Degz are no surprise.

I get the "love" for the release, but what I dont get is the lack of vision that any of them have for it as a game and what it provides. Admittedly, any release for an old machine is commendable, but I would rather have the dev's hold back for another x months to get it right than to deliver something that disappoints, which unfortunately is what happens with a lot of homebrew releases.
Agreed, I reviewed it a while back on my site (see my sig) and it really isn't very good, for exactly the same reasons you stated here! The Jaguar really has had some absolute dross released on it when it comes to homebrew.

I recieved my copy of Blackout! for the Jaguar yesterday and that is exactly what I expect from homebrew these days. A really professional product from start to finish and incredibly fun to play, the game was produced by Stormworks Interactive and available on CD and cartridge. They did 2 runs that sold out within days but they have now made the ROM file avalialable on their site HERE!

I will add my review to the review guide on my site very soon but for the moment you can read it in THIS THREAD!

RetroRevival

Post by RetroRevival » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:38 pm

Although just another lights out game (albeit with a few tweaks here and there), Blackout is worthy of mention. It is a polished product and although seen and played many times before on other formats, it somehow feels fresh. The music score is particularly fitting, especially when accompanied by the timer, making those harder levels much more stressful (in a good way I hasten to add!).

Not too sure on the "issues" surrounding the rom dump (if it did even happen at all - seen similar tricks done to make a product more appealing) but hope the dev's carry on as they seem quite talented.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:13 pm

RetroRevival wrote:Although just another lights out game (albeit with a few tweaks here and there), Blackout is worthy of mention. It is a polished product and although seen and played many times before on other formats, it somehow feels fresh. The music score is particularly fitting, especially when accompanied by the timer, making those harder levels much more stressful (in a good way I hasten to add!).

Not too sure on the "issues" surrounding the rom dump (if it did even happen at all - seen similar tricks done to make a product more appealing) but hope the dev's carry on as they seem quite talented.
The ROM dump definately did happen, I saw it with my own eyes. It definately wasn't them though, I know one of the coders quite well. They have decieded to carry on and are already working on their next game Splat, which is great news!!!

RetroRevival

Post by RetroRevival » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:03 pm

Just seemed a little odd, what with the explanation given by one of the coders. More than likely to be one of the firs batch of purchasers dumping it.

Shitty, but I suppose it comes with the territory.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:29 pm

RetroRevival wrote:Just seemed a little odd, what with the explanation given by one of the coders. More than likely to be one of the firs batch of purchasers dumping it.

Shitty, but I suppose it comes with the territory.
Yeah I didn't get that whole my computer was probably hacked thing either, very strange indeed. Like you say it was probably just dumped.

Makes no difference now anyway as you can download the ROM from their site.