Home Brew Section

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

icemann

Re: Home Brew Section

Post by icemann » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:23 am

Which is fair about the graphics. It started out Gameboy inspired, then as development went on more colors were needed. So in the end its a bit different.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:10 am

The Laird wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:00 am
Why is that odd? When people talk about homebrew its very rarely for the PC, it's nearly always for a retro platform. So I would argue your response is rather odd
Hang on while I go and tell GoG that PC isn't a retro platform then I'll reply...

There's loads of homebrew for PC, masses of retro remakes etc. They often get slapped with an indie label these days, but homebrew is homebrew.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:25 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:10 am
The Laird wrote:
Why is that odd? When people talk about homebrew its very rarely for the PC, it's nearly always for a retro platform. So I would argue your response is rather odd
Hang on while I go and tell GoG that PC isn't a retro platform then I'll reply...

There's loads of homebrew for PC, masses of retro remakes etc. They often get slapped with an indie label these days, but homebrew is homebrew.
As I thought, you were talking about indie games, which is the correct term being that the PC is still a commercial platform.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:26 pm

The Laird wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:25 pm
Antiriad2097 wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:10 am
The Laird wrote:

As I thought, you were talking about indie games, which is the correct term being that the PC is still a commercial platform.
I think we'll agree to disagree.

I see indie games as very much a one man/small team working to commercially publish games independently of major publishers. 'Indie' being 'independent of major publisher'.

Homebrew is a bloke in his bedroom knocking out a game for himself as a fun project, usually throwing it out there for free, not really getting involved in actively publishing it beyond putting it out there.

There's been plenty of homebrew for active platforms much newer than the PC. It doesn't make them indie titles.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

icemann

Post by icemann » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:39 pm

Can't I be both? :)

The game was made for fun as via uni I learned how to make games and have been doing my own projects ever since. Though only a project now and then.

I've done remakes of Space Invaders (Arcade), Fishing Derby (Atari 2600) and Dragon's Lair (NES). Those were purely free projects to improve my skills in games dev.

CrossTrix I did for fun, but I do plan to try and get it on Steam. I already have 1 game on there, but it'd be nice to have a second. The other one (Bipolar) was a team project, where as this one is a completely solo thing. I enjoy make games on my own, since you get to wear all the hats so speak. And it's doing things 80s bedroom coder style :). Even if I get this on Steam I'm not expecting to make much cash out from it, but it's more for the novelty of having your own games on Steam. To me that place was the "holy grail" of where I wanted to get my games onto.

I read so much in RG magazines about solo coders making games. Besides getting a job in the games industry someday, being able to make games was forever my life's dream.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:32 pm

I'm a but confused as to what the argument is here?!

I haven't had anything on steam, but did have a game on Desura for a while. I've also got a few Vectrex games out on multi-carts. All were written as a pastime on the same machine.
So does that mean the Desure game is 'Indie' and the Vectrex ones are 'Home Brew' because they were written for a non-PC platform?

To me 'Indie Games' is a relatively new term, the 'Homebrew' term has been around for a lot longer.
I'm not expressing an opinion here, just trying to clarify the argument.
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

icemann

Post by icemann » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:13 pm

To me their one and the same, whether your selling them or not. You made them yourself without any others being involved, so that's both to me.

That said, the meaning of indie to me is indie developer, which can often = 1+ team members. Where as homebrew would be 1 only I'd assume? So under that definition if you made it solo then that's technically both.

Indie development of the solo kind harks back to the 80s days of doing every role on a solo project, and props to you if you can pull it off. Personally I LOVE what comes from solo projects as you get to do all the roles (project management, coding, sound/music, game design, level design, art etc) all by yourself. Sure it takes 10x longer to get it done that, but it's just so much damn fine. I love it.

Hows everyone else feel on solo indie development vs group projects?

Tygerbug

Post by Tygerbug » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:14 am

Hi, I'm a box art illustrator for a lot of recent homebrew titles, often ports of arcade classics for Intellivision, Colecovision. Also SNES and Switch.

I've done art for 2 dozen video games by Acclaim / Collectorvision, Team Pixelboy Games, and Intellivision Revolution (among others), and shirts for WeLoveFine.

Check out my gallery.
http://tygerbug.deviantart.com/gallery

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:16 pm

Tygerbug wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:14 am
Hi, I'm a box art illustrator for a lot of recent homebrew titles, often ports of arcade classics for Intellivision, Colecovision. Also SNES and Switch.

I've done art for 2 dozen video games by Acclaim / Collectorvision, Team Pixelboy Games, and Intellivision Revolution (among others), and shirts for WeLoveFine.

Check out my gallery.
http://tygerbug.deviantart.com/gallery
Awesome work!

I am currently looking for a cover illustrator and designer for a homebrew publisher that I am working with. If you are interested then drop me a PM and we can talk more!

Tygerbug

Post by Tygerbug » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:32 pm

Will do, thanks!

epsracing77

Post by epsracing77 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:56 pm

I've just put together this.... on Android devices.

Space Invaders Cubed, hopefully Retro enough for here, but also innovative enough to warrant inclusion. Effectively Space Invaders but in 3D...

Currently in Beta test at the moment, but hopefully soon to go Live in the Google Play Store and Amazon App Store.

It's written using Basic4Android, HTML5, BabylonJS (WEBGL wrapper and more) and some custom javascript.

Game Graphics were created in Sketchup, imported in to Blender and then exported for Babylon to consume.

I'd be interested in getting feedback - it's taken me a long time to get it to this stage - mostly due to not doing very much with it for years! It's missing some key elements - notably Mystery Ships and Barriers, but they are in the roadmap and high on that list.

Happy 40th Birthday Space Invaders!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ceinvaders
Screenshot_20181127-214105_small.png
Screenshot_20181127-214105_small.png (236.25 KiB) Viewed 236 times
Screenshot_20181127-212441_small.png
Screenshot_20181127-212441_small.png (49.99 KiB) Viewed 236 times
Screenshot_20181127-214052_small.png
Screenshot_20181127-214052_small.png (48.09 KiB) Viewed 236 times

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:07 pm

Do you have the licence to use the Space Invaders brand?

It's still an active IP, so you might run into problems with it on iOS/Play store due to the wide exposure.

epsracing77

Post by epsracing77 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:13 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:07 pm

It's still an active IP, so you might run into problems with it on iOS/Play store due to the wide exposure.
I haven't - there seemed to be a number of clones in the Play Store which use the original Invader designs... It's a really good point though - I will line up some alternative 3D models, just in case.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:06 pm

epsracing77 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:13 pm
Antiriad2097 wrote:

I haven't - there seemed to be a number of clones in the Play Store which use the original Invader designs... It's a really good point though - I will line up some alternative 3D models, just in case.
I wouldn't worry about the designs, it's the name that will get you a C&D letter!

epsracing77

Post by epsracing77 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:46 pm

The Laird wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:06 pm
epsracing77 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:13 pm
Antiriad2097 wrote:

I wouldn't worry about the designs, it's the name that will get you a C&D letter!
There are a number of clones with either the name 'Space Invaders' or Space Invaders in their name as well... Maybe if it becomes ultra-popular they'll come knocking... (chance would be a fine thing!)