Home Brew Section

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

8-Bit-Relic

Re: Home Brew Section

Post by 8-Bit-Relic » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:40 pm

I`m actually more interested in the current releases for C64, NES, SNES and so on as for the 30 years old releases which are already discussed a million of time.

Can you please make the homebrew section bigger?

If you need any help with gathering more information, I would also recommend the German fanzines like Lowtech or the digital talk and the commercial Return. (I`m just mention it as RG also came out in Germany this year)
I`m the 8-Bit-Relic and 8-bit is known by me!

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:49 am

I think its already been increased. I'm not a fan.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:53 pm

RetroBob wrote:I think its already been increased. I'm not a fan.
It definitely hasn't been increased but given how popular homebrew is these days it should be, there are tons of amazing releases that don't get covered due to space (especially the console stuff)
8-Bit-Relic wrote:I`m actually more interested in the current releases for C64, NES, SNES and so on as for the 30 years old releases which are already discussed a million of time.

Can you please make the homebrew section bigger?

If you need any help with gathering more information, I would also recommend the German fanzines like Lowtech or the digital talk and the commercial Return. (I`m just mention it as RG also came out in Germany this year)
See my thread here: http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =2&t=44171

ivarf

Post by ivarf » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:17 pm

More of what Jason is already doing would be great! 8 pages would suffice, although a full magazine of the tradition of early Amstrad Action/Amtix/ (ie: full of reviews -50-100 of them in each issue) Would have loved to see such magazines agin with the odd hardware-review/article thrown in. Jason has got it right, we just need him with friends to fill the rest of the magazine :)

The articles about programmers and software houses are gems of RetroGamer

On a general note, shorter and more articles, instead of articles for console games that only kids care about - 6-8 pages for a single game. Who want to read that? No more than one page for each game.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:44 am

I always look at the Home-brew and retro-rated sections first. I'm not sure how much new material is being produced ether commercially or for free nowadays, but I would like to see more new games for older formats covered, as well as retro-style games in general - especially of the independent, home-brew / bedroom coder type...

I do some games programming myself; for fun, although non of my stuff is probably good enough to make it to the RG home-brew section; so maybe it's more of an interest to me than it is to others.

Still, I would like to see more reviews, interviews, or anything else related to this aspect of retro gaming.
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

Nikolai

Post by Nikolai » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:22 pm

Tbh, the homebrew section of the mag is the section I usually skip or skim through. I know it's a piece many love, so by all means keep it, but for me it just isn't as interesting as the rest of the articles. :(

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:22 pm

I will always stick up for this section. The magazine is about retro gaming. So gaming on retro machines I think seems to fall under the remit, no matter when the games were made. It's as valid as when they covered MB Simon. Retro. Games.
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:23 pm

If you like your homebrew games then take a look here:

Computer Homebrew Library

Console Homebrew Library

8)

silentplz09

Post by silentplz09 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:25 am

I don't wanna post because I'm just happy reading all the post in this thread. :)

silentplz09

Post by silentplz09 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:19 am

I think they already increase it. I'm not updated.

PlatformJunkie

Post by PlatformJunkie » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:02 am

Ooh Homebrew.. my speciality!

Please please PLEASE stop coving the dross on the Xbox Live Indie Channel.. there are a few rare titles that pop up that deserve mention, but on the whole they are absolute garbage. I am sure RG will continue to cover PSN indie titles like Hotline Miami and Stick it To The Man (review please?!), but the main focus should be titles developed for old systems by the talented guys out there.. for example the C64 games recently available through the C64 Cartridge Development Competition 2013 as well as the infinite pool of great games for the PC.

There should be short mentions for decent Android / iOS games that are retro in nature e.g. Final Freeway 2R (the best Outrun clone ever).

The PC has new indie and homebrew games released every day and is an exciting scene. Just visit Gamejolt to see how many great titles (as well as the easily avoidable dross) re being churned out. You could easily fill the entire RG mag with just these games, so picking decent contenders to feature should be no problem at all.

Here are a few excellent recent indie / homebrew games on PC that you should check out, and you will soon see what I mean:

Excavatorrr 2
Donkey Me : Raiders if the Lost Ark
Maximum Action Carnage
Risk of Rain
Nuclear Throne
SteamWorld Dig
Gunman Clive
The Art of Dying
Valdis Story
Ninja Senki
Grapple Knight
Fistful of Gun

and absolutely loads more

IN SUMMARY

Tighten up the quality control, keep us informed of new homebrew games for old machines, ditch the xbox live indie coverage unless absolutely necessary and give the cream of the PC indie crop the coverage they deserve, and you can't go wrong!

Oh, and make sure you play Solid Gold .. a brand new homebrew AMIGA game.. it is absolutely brilliant!

I look forward to seeing the new and improved homebrew section! :D

joefish

Post by joefish » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:06 am

The Laird wrote:If you like your homebrew games then take a look here:
Computer Homebrew Library
Console Homebrew Library
Among others, the Speccy list is a wee bit short...
http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseek ... s=3&page=1

(Note it's best to search there for things with a score between 7 and 8.5 out of ten. Anything more than that is probably a utility with one score of 10 from its owner. Any decent game that attracts 9s or 10s is quickly down-voted by the Russians).

BobS

Post by BobS » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:55 am

And they still haven't covered the frankly amazing Ant Attack '81 - the full 48K Spectrum version, but in 16K on a ZX81! (Not that I'm biased!)

http://www.bobs-stuff.co.uk/antattack81.html

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:31 pm

I suppose by definition the 'Homebrew' section is aimed at new games being written for long dead consoles and home-computer systems.

I do agree that a best of Indie/hobbyist/PD for the PC/MAC section would be interesting as well. Sites like GameJolt and IndieDB have some good and unusual games.

Maybe a separate free and er non-free section would be needed though. I don't really get people who say they aren't interested in this side of retro-gaming. Some of the best 8Bit home-computer and console games have been written years after the platforms official demise... But each to their own!
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:13 am

joefish wrote: Among others, the Speccy list is a wee bit short...
http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseek ... s=3&page=1

(Note it's best to search there for things with a score between 7 and 8.5 out of ten. Anything more than that is probably a utility with one score of 10 from its owner. Any decent game that attracts 9s or 10s is quickly down-voted by the Russians).
That Spectrum list is very short given the number of releases for the platform of late.

I'm curious as to why the Russians are getting the blame for down-voting any bedroomware (I hate the term homebrew), did I miss something on WoS? Has Martijn revealed the IP addresses of some of the reprobates who are seeking to keep anything written after 1990 out of the top 100 list?
No longer part of the Spectrum scene but still supporting Multi-Platform Arcade Game Designer over at https://jonathan-cauldwell.itch.io/
I am not on Twitter.