Home Brew Section

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

icemann

Re: Home Brew Section

Post by icemann » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:53 am

Oh man. That's the first game I ever did a remake of, to improve my coding skills.

Did that one back in 2010. Never released officially obviously. Shortly followed by a remake of Fishing Derby on the Atari 2600:

I then got to work on a remake of the NES game "Dragon's Lair":

That one took me 2 years to complete. Why remake a terrible game? To try and make it half decent. In my completely biased opinion, I think I succeeded. Again not released officially. Working on that one really improved my game making skills by a fair bit as I had to do the art (or more conversion of existing art for the most part), coding, music, sound effect and level design, as for every existing level from the original I implemented I would also add 1 completely new level in. Even put together a level editor to speed things up.

epsracing77

Post by epsracing77 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:07 pm

They look great, thanks for sharing! :)

icemann

Post by icemann » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:55 am

And just noting that the game I mentioned a page ago, "CrossTrix" launched for sale on Steam today:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1003690/CrossTrix/

So be sure to grab yourself a copy and save 15% off for a limited time only.

Spectrum1972

Post by Spectrum1972 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:35 am

Personally, I would be very happy about the 'Home Brew' section of the magazine doubling in size. Although I will not play every game (I play Spectrum games), I find the 'Home Brew' section to be very interesting as you see the amazing projects being worked on by various people. It really helps me feel in touch with new developments of old games.