Home Brew Section

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

icemann

Re: Home Brew Section

Post by icemann » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:53 pm

Oh man. That's the first game I ever did a remake of, to improve my coding skills.

Did that one back in 2010. Never released officially obviously. Shortly followed by a remake of Fishing Derby on the Atari 2600:

I then got to work on a remake of the NES game "Dragon's Lair":

That one took me 2 years to complete. Why remake a terrible game? To try and make it half decent. In my completely biased opinion, I think I succeeded. Again not released officially. Working on that one really improved my game making skills by a fair bit as I had to do the art (or more conversion of existing art for the most part), coding, music, sound effect and level design, as for every existing level from the original I implemented I would also add 1 completely new level in. Even put together a level editor to speed things up.

epsracing77

Post by epsracing77 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:07 pm

They look great, thanks for sharing! :)

icemann

Post by icemann » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:55 pm

And just noting that the game I mentioned a page ago, "CrossTrix" launched for sale on Steam today:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1003690/CrossTrix/

So be sure to grab yourself a copy and save 15% off for a limited time only.

Spectrum1972

Post by Spectrum1972 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:35 am

Personally, I would be very happy about the 'Home Brew' section of the magazine doubling in size. Although I will not play every game (I play Spectrum games), I find the 'Home Brew' section to be very interesting as you see the amazing projects being worked on by various people. It really helps me feel in touch with new developments of old games.

Chopperbomb

Post by Chopperbomb » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:01 pm

What is Home Brew?

Every month I look at these pages and see ‘new’ games for computers I used to love and I have no idea how this all works. I’m assuming they’re not being made available on the old bits of kit and that you need some sort of emulator? For example, I would absolutely love to play these Spectrum, Amstrad or Amiga games but what do I need? Can i play them on my iPad or on my basic laptop or even on my DS?

How about doing an idiots guide to emulators and home brew?

Cheers.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:12 pm

Chopperbomb wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:01 pm
What is Home Brew?

Every month I look at these pages and see ‘new’ games for computers I used to love and I have no idea how this all works. I’m assuming they’re not being made available on the old bits of kit and that you need some sort of emulator? For example, I would absolutely love to play these Spectrum, Amstrad or Amiga games but what do I need? Can i play them on my iPad or on my basic laptop or even on my DS?

How about doing an idiots guide to emulators and home brew?

Cheers.
Sounds like a good idea for the mag, although they'd have to be careful not to tread on the toes of companies who frown upon emulators due to their widespread use in piracy.

Anyway... Most homebrew just gets released as downloads, but some still get physical releases on cassette, disk or even sometimes cartridges.

It's also possible to play downloads on original hardware as well as emulators, as you can get interfaces for most of them that'll allow you to load games from a USB thumb drive or SD card. Playing audio from an emulator can usually also be used to simulate tape loading without the need for any extra hardware.

You can run emulators on all the systems you mention, although your laptop is most likely to give you the best experience. Good emulators to get started with are Fuse (Spectrum) and Arnold (CPC). You're probably best off giving the Amiga a miss for now as, although there's a very good emulator in WinUAE, it's a bit tricker to set up and you'll need a copy of the Kickstart ROMs which aren't free.

Chopperbomb

Post by Chopperbomb » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:47 am

That’s brilliant. Thanks very much for the tips!

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:18 am

Whats happened to the Homebrew section , was always my favourite part of the magazine :-)
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:36 am

Writer struck down by Covid19 for months, now on the mend.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

icemann

Post by icemann » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:13 am

My condolences. Hope they get better.

The sooner Covid19 is gone the better.

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:29 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:36 am
Writer struck down by Covid19 for months, now on the mend.
thats good news ( on the mend ) :)
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

dvallet

Post by dvallet » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:32 am

Hope homebrew writer get better
2 print issues are missing, homebrew section disappear and there's a new subscription site (and i'm not able to claim) ... does i'll renew ?

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:06 am

Wishing our own 'Big K' all the best for his recovery, and hoping he is back up and at 'em soon enough.

But to the editor, could someone not have penned something relevant to homebrew to fill the gap in the meantime?

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:34 pm

joefish wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:06 am
Wishing our own 'Big K' all the best for his recovery, and hoping he is back up and at 'em soon enough.

But to the editor, could someone not have penned something relevant to homebrew to fill the gap in the meantime?
Has there even been any well wishes in the mag for him? :?: