RG is biased against [fill in blank]!!!

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

chinnyhill10

Re:

Post by chinnyhill10 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:56 am

GarryG wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote: The point of my original post was for an article that showcased the very best of pre-386 games on the PC platform. This has nothing to do with an Amiga or other system, sorry but I cant see why you would make this connection.
!
Of course there was a connection. Many of us had to make an unwillimg jump and were disapointed that our new £1000 wonder machines were not delivering the wonder games they should have been capable of.

It isn't a my machine is better than your machine debate, but it is relevent. You only need to look at the pages of New Computer Express circa 1991 to see companies such as Amstrad proclaiming that the Amiga was dead and that PC gaming was the future. Amstrad et al were right, but not in the short term. Back then there was no golden reason to make the leap.

I am only stating a personal opinion, and I don't say I am right. As I say there were PC games I enjoyed. It would be enjoyable to see an article into old PC games. As for developing games for an old PC platform, hmmmmmm. Technically I am still typing this post on that same platform. Would there really be a point in slowing it all down and using EGA graphics?

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:20 am

Ok. - Fare Comments...

1) At the time, yes I agree it was relevant. I was meaning it isn’t relevant to a ‘look back at the best games’ type of article. I would say the same if I were talking about this type of article for the Amiga (I like my Amiga by the way ;) )

2) That’s fine, everybody should be allowed an opinion :lol:

3) I didn’t mean developing for older versions of the PC, I agree not much point! I ment other ‘Home Computer’ systems, I’ve dusted of my assemblie to start playing around with vectrex code. Although I’ve only got to the ‘bouncing box’ stage yet ;)

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:00 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:RG is biased against Oric. If only they'd cover it, we might get an updated XP compatible emu. At the moment the lack of coverage means nobody's probably noticed that there isn't one who is actually capable of doing something about it. I'd knock one up myself but don't know where to start with Windoze coding ;)
I was thread mining and realised this may actually have worked. When there's a spot of Oric news it now gets covered in the mag, and since that started happening we did get a new Oric emulator that runs on modern Windows: Oricutron.

The power of RG in action :D
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Crunchy

Re: RG is biased against [fill in blank]!!!

Post by Crunchy » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:12 am

It is with sinking heart that I read a post of my own from 2006 regarding the mighty Jupiter Ace and here we are in 2011 and we STILL haven't had an eight page pull-out colour supplement about the trials and tribulations of the making of Ace Chess by one of the two guys who had parents cruel enough to buy them a Jupe instead of a Speccy. :cry:

Deny the bias now you journo pigs! Where's your credibility!?

Etc etc.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:03 am

If it's not pitched it's not covered.
Still I've just written about an Oric-1 game (Zorgon's Revenge) so there's progress for you.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:12 am

Crunchy wrote:It is with sinking heart that I read a post of my own from 2006 regarding the mighty Jupiter Ace and here we are in 2011 and we STILL haven't had an eight page pull-out colour supplement about the trials and tribulations of the making of Ace Chess by one of the two guys who had parents cruel enough to buy them a Jupe instead of a Speccy. :cry:

Deny the bias now you journo pigs! Where's your credibility!?

Etc etc.
if you love it so much, why don't you propose something? It's not a closed shop, as I have proved :D
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:01 am

In all seriousness, coverage of the Jupiter Ace beyond comedy value leaves me cold. This is a machine with a games library that's heavily trounced by the contents of Cascade Games' Cassette 50 on the speccy if we're honest.

But what a great name though, eh? From back in the day when computer names had real character. Jupiter Ace, guardian of the spaceways!

Some of the old stuff is worth dragging up now and again just to highlight the sheer range of names we had to choose from. A really ancient copy of C&VG yields awesome sounding stuff like the Spectravideo (surely James Bond tackled these guys at some point) and the Tatung Einstein (the obligatory brainy player character who wears glasses in every jrpg since time immemorial). Wasn't Oric Atmos in Blake's 7?

Great days indeed.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:29 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:If it's not pitched it's not covered.
Still I've just written about an Oric-1 game (Zorgon's Revenge) so there's progress for you.
I look forward to it.

Its a key title in the history of the Oric, but its a mixed bag now - some sections have dated terribly while others are still quite playable.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:39 pm

MORE PS3 and 360!!!

I already have a PS4 and a 720!
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

PanzerGeneral

Post by PanzerGeneral » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:34 pm

TI/99/4a - surprise, surprise!, over 200 games on cartridge alone, loads on tape and disk too. Quite a few games were speech enabled when used with the speech synthesizer - not at all like the kind of crappy audio samples that you would find on the Speccy or C64 games of the era.

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:27 am

Some more Atari 800 XL/XE coverage would be nice...

Imhotep

Post by Imhotep » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:14 am

Acorn Archimedes has had very little coverage, apart from the Retro-inspection been very little mention of it, yes the market for games wasn't massive and the machine wasn't massively popular but there were was some really good games released for it released for it, such as Darkwood, Pandora's Box, E-Type, Ego : Repton 4 to name but a few, and also some excellent conversions too including a brilliant re-working of Gribblys Day Out, and others such as Paradroid 2000, Zool, Chaos Engine, Quake, Doom, Alone In The Dark, Lotus Turbo Challenge2, Populous, Simon The Sorceror.

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:25 am

PanzerGeneral wrote:TI/99/4a - surprise, surprise!
c0nfu53d wrote:Some more Atari 800 XL/XE coverage would be nice...
Imhotep wrote:Acorn Archimedes has had very little coverage.
Any suggestions for great games (preferably system exclusives) produced for systems loved by a minority would be warmly welcomed in this thread. :)

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:42 pm

I am quite frankly appalled that in all my issues of Retro Gamer...not once has been mentioned the incredible Enigma Machine from WW2!!!

Not only was it smaller then most computer type machines it could crack the German's Code!

Barely 10% of the world could probably do that these days!

Utterly disgusted!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

stvd

Post by stvd » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:45 pm

RetroMartin wrote:I am quite frankly appalled that in all my issues of Retro Gamer...not once has been mentioned the incredible Enigma Machine from WW2!!!

Not only was it smaller then most computer type machines it could crack the German's Code!

There's probably an app for that now! :D