RG is biased against [fill in blank]!!!

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Markie

Post by Markie » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:38 am

Just to let you guys know we are launching 'Cray Gamer' in the Spring! :wink:

With free liquid cool refill sellotaped to the cover!

revgiblet

Re:

Post by revgiblet » Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:32 am

Markie wrote:Just to let you guys know we are launching 'Cray Gamer' in the Spring! :wink:

With free liquid cool refill sellotaped to the cover!
It's about time. Frankly I'm surprised that RG sell any copies at all with their blatant neglect of such classic gaming platforms. When 'Cray Gamer' hits the streets then I think RG's days are numbered.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:30 am

Well, actually being a little more serious here you could do with a little more early PC coverage (XT and 286/386).

I think this was an interesting time for the PC as it wasn’t yet fully recognised as a ‘gaming platform’ but still has some good and some truly awful conversions from 8 and 16Bit ‘home computer’ platforms.

There was also some good and bad original stuff being produced on the PC around this time. Maybe a pre-Doom history of PC gaming type of article could be on the cards? Doom was probably the turning point for the PC being recognised as a gaming platform in it’s own right, a lot op people didn’t even realise there were games on the PC before this!!?

PS,
'CRAY GAMER'.... I can't wait :shock:

I’ve even got a freebee idea…
How about a ‘build it yourself core memory update’, you can give away one core per month :lol: ;)
Last edited by GarryG on Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

merman

Post by merman » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:36 am

Tsk, there you go again, ignoring the early mainframes and the punch-card gamer... :lol:

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:44 am

GarryG wrote: How about a ‘build it yourself core memory update’, you can give away one core per month :lol: ;)
And the first part is only £2.99!
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

chinnyhill10

Re:

Post by chinnyhill10 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:23 am

GarryG wrote:a lot op people didn’t even realise there were games on the PC before this!!?
Not really. Wing Commander was another game that people noticed on the PC and that pre-dated Doom from memory.

And what about the Amstrad PC200? That was sold as a games machine. A fatally flawed games machine but a games machine non the less.

The first PC games I played were back in the 80's. Flight Sim and a rather decent conversion (in Tandy Colour) of Afterburner.

What helped the PC at the time of Doom and more specifically Doom 2 was that the Amiga was on it's last legs and if you didn't want a games console then your hand was forced into buying a PC (awaits Mac zealots to start shouting about bias).

GarryG

Re:

Post by GarryG » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:00 am

chinnyhill10 wrote: What helped the PC at the time of Doom and more specifically Doom 2 was that the Amiga was on it's last legs and if you didn't want a games console then your hand was forced into buying a PC (awaits Mac zealots to start shouting about bias).
Well before they start it was Apple themselves that were bias!

Whereas the PC was pushed as an open and modular platform, capable of turning it’s hand to anything, the MAC was aimed firmly at the business marked and Apple firmly dissuaded the production of games for the platform. It was a policy decision and is provable!!
GarryG wrote:a lot op people didn’t even realise there were games on the PC before this!!?
By this I mainly ment younger people or people that have more recently got into gaming...

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:42 am

GarryG wrote:Whereas the PC was pushed as an open and modular platform, capable of turning it’s hand to anything, the MAC was aimed firmly at the business marked and Apple firmly dissuaded the production of games for the platform. It was a policy decision and is provable!!
Really? I'd love to see this backed up with some facts.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:37 am

I’ll try to find the article I remember reading in which somebody from apple said: ‘there was a decision made not to encourage games development for the Mac as apple already had a ‘games’ platform around at the time’. Obviously this is paraphrasing from memory, as I can’t remember the exact words. This was the article that claimed ‘proof’ of this policy.

I don’t know exactly where I read this; it may even have been in a magazine and not on the web!
I just know it stuck in my mind as a monumentally bad decision!!! :oops:

TMR

Re:

Post by TMR » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:58 am

chinnyhill10 wrote:
Not really. Wing Commander was another game that people noticed on the PC and that pre-dated Doom from memory.
Wolfenstein and Wing Com were the two biggies i think, the titles that made the PC a viable platform for gaming and got lots of oohs and ahhs from people looking at them; says a lot about why i don't play PC games though, they're both 3D and back then i'd rather have played Raptor, Gods or Tubular Worlds on the PC (or Xenon 2 at a push if i can have the music playing from another source) or preferably one of the Amiga 2D blasters. Banshee springs to mind, although i swear the timescale is wrong...!

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:56 am

Not the article I remember but it was on similar lines to this:
Unfortunately, Apple never put the promised marketing effort into Alice. They were in a quandary because the market didn't understand the graphical user interface as a productivity enhancement yet; graphics meant games, so the Mac had to live down an initial reputation as being unsuitable for business tasks. Apple didn't exactly want to promote a game for the Mac at the time, no matter how sensational, so Alice never quite reached as wide an audience as it deserved.
http://folklore.org/StoryView.py?projec ... arch=games

...But a lot stronger, saying programmers were given programming and finantial obsticles when trying to produce games for the Mac.
As apple said they already had a games platform in the Apple II seriese!

chinnyhill10

Re:

Post by chinnyhill10 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:16 pm

PC gaming was so rubbish back then. I had to get a PC late 94 for my A level course and we got a pack of games with it. X-Wing, some flight sim by Ocean and another game. Yes the 3D graphics were lovely and fast, but no sound and VGA was so low res! When we did spend the 100 notes on a Soundblaster I was very unimpressed indeed! The sound was pathetic against the mighty Amiga (OK so the Soundblaster could do 16 bit 44KHz).

PC gaming was a really big let down for me. F1GP was better on the PC but only due to the speed. It took quite a while for PC games to make a leap ahead of what I expected the Amiga to be capable of.

I had Wing Commander on my Amiga 1200. Quite a good game but it must have been so slow on an A500.

PC gaming today isn't much better than it used to be. You still have to install stuff and games take up several gigs on your hard drive. Whatever happened to pulling out a game for an occasional blast.

As for retro PC gaming, I have never gone back to any of my old PC games to replay them. They don't grab me in the same was as a quick blast at Knightlore does. It's just hassle and you end up in a total stress.

Well, there was one game I tried to play again. The last version of Elite, (Frontier 2). There is a hacked free to download version on the web but it has no sound. Shame. Elite 2 on the Amiga was more of a leap though. Frontier 2 was just a glossy coat with some dated graphics (even for the time).

Moan moan moan (etc).

TMR

Re:

Post by TMR » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:23 pm

chinnyhill10 wrote:As for retro PC gaming, I have never gone back to any of my old PC games to replay them. They don't grab me in the same was as a quick blast at Knightlore does. It's just hassle and you end up in a total stress.
i go back for a blast of Tubular Worlds or Raptor occasionally, but the last game i remember playing on the PC was Revenge Of The Mutant Camels... last game was NFS Underground on the 'Cube last night, just to prove i play "modern" games still or something. =-)

GarryG

Re:

Post by GarryG » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:43 am

chinnyhill10 wrote:PC gaming was so rubbish back then... ...Moan moan moan (etc).
Well I have an Amiga (A600) and don’t necessarily agree with all your post, but that isn’t really the point! It’s not a competition.

Retro shouldn’t be a ‘this system verses that system’ playground battle anymore. Everyone can look at the very best of each system through emulation, and decide if they like it enough to get the original hardware and start collecting or even developing for it!

The point of my original post was for an article that showcased the very best of pre-386 games on the PC platform. This has nothing to do with an Amiga or other system, sorry but I cant see why you would make this connection.

So you don’t like the PC for games!?!?!? That’s your choice it doesn’t preclude other people from being interested in the good early PC stuff that is FREELY available out there!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:24 am

RG is biased against Oric. If only they'd cover it, we might get an updated XP compatible emu. At the moment the lack of coverage means nobody's probably noticed that there isn't one who is actually capable of doing something about it. I'd knock one up myself but don't know where to start with Windoze coding ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.