Is this really the best you can do?

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re: Is this really the best you can do?

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:42 am

Trickster wrote:
What's up with some special insight into the games of Bullfrog? Dungeon Keeper, Theme Park?
Or Origin and Looking Glass? Thief, Ultima Underworld? (Thief 4 coming, hopefully)
Blue Byte and the Settlers series or Ambermoon?
Maxis and the Sim games? (sim city 5 announced just now)
Adeline Software and Little Big Adventure? (rumors about HD remake)
Nothing aside from you need to speak to people, which isn't always possible.
Bullfrog is 25 years old this year and Sim City has just been announced as well. Time to send some emails out.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:50 am

Sometimes it can be very difficult to get people to talk in this industry. For love nor money I could not get an interview with Tim Follin which I would imagine would have gone down well with the readers. He just didn't want to and fair enough as it is his time.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Igorthegreen

Post by Igorthegreen » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:02 pm

How many words does a piece have one sends in has to be? (From a minimun of to a maximum of...)
Join my '8-BIT KIDS' book Kickstarter at http://tinyurl.com/c64club

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:13 pm

The ST was hammered out in 6 months flat. And it shows. You can't argue the price, but it was compared to the Amigas, PCs, SNESes, and Megadrives of the day.
It kind of reminds you of the Spectrum - coding heroics needed to pull off something useful.

But yes, it had exclusives that were good, no doubt. Hope to see some writeups on those.

Trickster

Post by Trickster » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:20 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Trickster wrote:
What's up with some special insight into the games of Bullfrog? Dungeon Keeper, Theme Park?
Or Origin and Looking Glass? Thief, Ultima Underworld? (Thief 4 coming, hopefully)
Blue Byte and the Settlers series or Ambermoon?
Maxis and the Sim games? (sim city 5 announced just now)
Adeline Software and Little Big Adventure? (rumors about HD remake)
Nothing aside from you need to speak to people, which isn't always possible.
Bullfrog is 25 years old this year and Sim City has just been announced as well. Time to send some emails out.
That sounds really great, thank you!

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:43 pm

Out of interest Darran, if one does want to write an article and submit it for you lot to look at, how does that process work or do you have a list of things you'd love for readers to write articles on that we can see and maybe those that *CAN* write articles on those points can see you're missing them and give it a go!?

Just interested as I've not really thought about it before...

PSN username - MartinPhantom

joefish

Post by joefish » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:59 pm

NorthWay wrote:The ST was hammered out in 6 months flat. And it shows. You can't argue the price, but it was compared to the Amigas, PCs, SNESes, and Megadrives of the day.
It kind of reminds you of the Spectrum - coding heroics needed to pull off something useful.
But yes, it had exclusives that were good, no doubt. Hope to see some writeups on those.
It was very much like the Spectrum, in that the Amiga and consoles had one optimal function whereas the ST was optimised for pure processing throughput. Those others look very pretty given the right games, but step outside the 2D scrolling genre that the hardware was built around and they rapidly lose their edge. And it was all the open-world 3D stuff on the ST that's most interesting.

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:00 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote: Maybe a top 25 Atari ST exclusives
Agh great didn't see this the last time I read it until now, so I take you'll be taking jagfestUk up on his offer then, you won't be disappointed, I've learned allot for his knowledge on all things Atari and think his contribution would do greatly to us atari ST Retro gaming readers :)

Thank you sir, I look forward to this as I would expect many others to see this one
↓↓Click Link to See More
http://www.greyfoxbooks.com

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:10 pm

Would love to see an exclusive Top 25 games for Atari ST feature, as few i know of that did'nt appear on Amiga appeared on or were spruced up versions of Apple II or 8 Bit games.

:? We talking commercial only? or P.D stuff as well? (also just STFM or STe?)

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:22 pm

thevulture wrote:Would love to see an exclusive Top 25 games for Atari ST feature, as few i know of that did'nt appear on Amiga appeared on or were spruced up versions of Apple II or 8 Bit games.

:? We talking commercial only? or P.D stuff as well? (also just STFM or STe?)

I'm sure when he or if he gets JagfestUk involved on this, I reckon it would be commercial games, but I think a little outbox on the pd stuff would be great too :D
↓↓Click Link to See More
http://www.greyfoxbooks.com

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:02 am

RetroMartin wrote:Out of interest Darran, if one does want to write an article and submit it for you lot to look at, how does that process work or do you have a list of things you'd love for readers to write articles on that we can see and maybe those that *CAN* write articles on those points can see you're missing them and give it a go!?
Pitch an idea (a few sentences should be sufficient) and make sure you can fulfil it, while also providing some proof that you can write. That's pretty much it for any magazine. When it comes to Retro Gamer specifically, the second of those points is very important: don't just pitch "I want to write a making-of on [game]" without first getting the game's creator to agree.

And that's one of the main issues in getting coverage of certain games and for certain platforms. One C64 classic has been absent from the magazine, because while I did get initial agreement from the devs way back around issue 25, they've never actually done the review; the same goes for a certain Amiga game that rhymes with 'Weedmall Chew'—I've been trying to sort that for years now, but, for one reason or another, those behind the game's design are always too busy (bar one, but the interview I have isn't enough to run the feature).

Note: do not write an article speculatively and expect it to be taken up. In fact, do not write speculatively at all. As I said, a few sentences to outline your idea, and, as relevant, permission/agreement from interviewees and proof of capability should be enough.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:40 am

What would be nice would be coverage of the [insert platform of choice] that isn't a list feature.

As for the ST, something about Sundog would be interesting.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:55 am

^ Can't remember the issue, but the guys who made Sundog were covered in some depth iirc. Sorry I can't be more specific, my memory stinks.

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:08 am

Sel Feena wrote:^ Can't remember the issue, but the guys who made Sundog were covered in some depth iirc. Sorry I can't be more specific, my memory stinks.
Are you sure? I know Dungeon Master has been covered but I don't recall ever seeing anything particular about FTL (and a quick glance on the RG issue contents doesn't show anything).

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:06 am

I know the issue you mean, but I'm positive FTL's stuff besides that was covered in another issue, possibly alongside other companies? Will have a look tonight to see if I can find the issue, and prove to myself my memory's not completely gone to pot! :wink: