Official Feedback Issue 100 + Issue 1

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

jdanddiet

Re: Official Feedback Issue 100 + Issue 1

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:02 am

I think the free gift is brilliant and very apt. I didn't have issue 1 so it's fascinating to see how the magazine has changed over the years. And although the newer version is slicker, I believe it's still written with the same passion from all those years ago. And to those moaning about Spectrum content, it is the machine's 30th anniversary remember.

Highlights for the issue for me include the Making of the Spectrum (written by lest we forget the man who started it all with issue 1, nice bit of completeness there), the making of GTA and the gaming moments feature.

The cover maybe could have been done a bit better, but again, it's very apt.

And...the Making of Retro Gamer...? Really guys? Wouldn't you rather read about more games and systems? (sorry Darren!)
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Fawltykog

Post by Fawltykog » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:03 am

Now that you've been kind enough to reprint issue 1 of Retro Gamer (Best Magazine in the known universe (tm)) i wonder if it would be possible to reprint at least issues 2,3,4 and 5. :shock:

I really must get out more...

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:07 am

Fawltykog wrote:Now that you've been kind enough to reprint issue 1 of Retro Gamer (Best Magazine in the known universe (tm)) i wonder if it would be possible to reprint at least issues 2,3,4 and 5. :shock:

love the sig.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

MartynC

Post by MartynC » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:47 am

Evermore wrote:Issue 1 of Retro Gamer is like a fanzine.
Thanks! A lovely compliment that. When we started it, the brilliant fanzines like Graham Howden's Retro Classix and Jason Moore's Retrogames is what we looked to emulate.

That said, the first issue didn't exactly turn out as I hoped, chiefly due to a lack of time and resources. You can read more about that in the Making of Retro Gamer article that appeared in issue 50. The magazine didn't really hit its stride until about issue 4, and even then it was fairly hit and miss.

But look where we are now! Issue 100 features the kind of articles I could only have dreamed to have in issue 1.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:46 am

I think it's crazy for any magazine to expect to get everything right immediately, and that's always been the case. Look at the likes of Zzap!64, which spent a few issues figuring out what works, before settling down after a similar number of issues. What matters most is ambition, and that's something the original Retro Gamer clearly had, which continues to this day. I think it's amazing that such a niche within a niche has not only survived but thrived and grown. 100 issues is a milestone and a big deal for any title, let alone one that's so focussed, and that's testament to the people who brought the magazine to life in the first place, and then those that grabbed the baton when Imagine took over.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Matias

Post by Matias » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:48 am

Would it be possible to have issue 1 as free issue also to us who have bough issue 100 from ipad app? :wink:

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:03 am

Matias wrote:Would it be possible to have issue 1 as free issue also to us who have bough issue 100 from ipad app? :wink:
I've not heard anything on this I'm afraid.

Sparks43

Post by Sparks43 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:12 pm

Fawltykog wrote:Now that you've been kind enough to reprint issue 1 of Retro Gamer (Best Magazine in the known universe (tm)) i wonder if it would be possible to reprint at least issues 2,3,4 and 5. :shock:

Massive +1 on this

I know that it would be a bit costly but i would happilly pay the extra money for the reprints on top of the price of the Mag

Issue 100 was a very well put together issue and it will be hard to keep up the same standard in future issues
Last edited by Sparks43 on Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retro Podcast

Zelda Special Part 1 now live

www.arcadeandretro.com

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:23 pm

I very much doubt we'll be seeing any future reprints. This was a one off.

Sparks43

Post by Sparks43 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:31 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I very much doubt we'll be seeing any future reprints. This was a one off.
Thats a shame but thank you it was a great freebie

You missed one trick though in the back to series it would have been nice to take a look back at the month issue 1 came out.

And btw Strider is not the best!

Every sane person knows that Boulder Dash is the greatest game of all time 8)
Retro Podcast

Zelda Special Part 1 now live

www.arcadeandretro.com

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:52 pm

Strideristhebest
It wouldn't be my PSN gamertag otherwise.

noobish hat

Post by noobish hat » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:01 pm

Actually, I'm pretty sure Cosmic Spacehead is the best. Should have been on the cover!

Basil The Sane

Post by Basil The Sane » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:37 pm

Wow imagine my surprise on opening the wrapper on my crisp new 100th issue as it dropped through my letterbox at the weekend, I ripped it open in anticipation, great cover, but what's this behind it? Only the 1st ever issue, do you know how much these things go for on eBay!!! I was completely dumbfounded, being a long time subscriber and collector I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for devaluing my original 1st issue, you utter utter utter utter basterds!, maybe you could reissue the 2nd issue as well on your next milestone and maybe knock another 50 notes off the value off my collection.
:(
Last edited by Basil The Sane on Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:46 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:On the topic of facts, lets not forget that the old RG didn't fold. It was brought down by a publishing house that extended into other magazines too far, too quickly. The company folded but if what we've been told is correct, RG was one of its flagship titles that continually profited and supported the other mags that weren't doing so well. The demise of RG was not due to the mag itself, far from it. Probably just as well or we may not have seen it reborn.
The 'Making-of' article in issue 50 does state that whilst RG wasn't losing money, the readership dropped a lot over its short life. It certainly doesn't suggest that it was propping up other mags. The fact that Live Publishlishing went under dragged RG with it, that's true, but if I recall correctly there was concern at how much it have been around for anyway.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:31 pm

Basil The Sane wrote:Wow imagine my surprise on opening the wrapper on my crisp new 100th issue as it dropped through my letterbox at the weekend, I ripped it open in anticipation, great cover, but what's this behind it? Only the 1st ever issue, do you know how much these things go for on eBay!!! I was completely dumbfounded, being a long time subscriber and collector I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for devaluing my original 1st issue, you utter utter utter utter basterds!, maybe you could reissue the 2nd issue as well on your next milestone and maybe knock another 50 notes off the value off my collection.
:(
If you were a collector why would you be worried about the value, surely that would make you a speculator?

Is it not a nice thing that so many others can experience and enjoy issue 1 now?

Or to quote the Flaming Lips would you "make everybody poor just so you could be rich"?
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue