Official Feedback Issue 100 + Issue 1

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Eric

Re: Official Feedback Issue 100 + Issue 1

Post by Eric » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:21 am

Igorthegreen wrote:Can someone tell me if my entry made it to the From The Forum section? I made it into issue 50; so that would be nice :-)
Sorry nope.

Cover - not a Beatles fan so not keen on it, though it did Jump out from the WH Smiths shelves.
Maybe all the sprites on a large character select screen?

Jason312

Post by Jason312 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:58 am

Congratulations to Retro Gamer to reaching the 100th edition. This is the only magazine I have a subscription for due to my interest in retro gaming.

I have been buying Retro Gamer from issue 1 so my current collection consists of Live Publishing issues 1 to 12, Live Publishing Volume 2 issues 1 to 6, Imagine Publishing issues 19 to 100. I am missing three Imagine Publishing issues which are 37, 41 and 42.

It's good that you included the Live Publishing issue 1 with issue 100 as I guess if no one has an original issue 1 it must be difficult to find?

I am glad that a niche magazine can reach 100 editions which just goes to show how much of a following retro gaming has. Here's to the next 100 editions.

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:20 pm

Well its been a few years since I posted here and despite me not having the time or so much interest to play games these days, I've still bought every issue of RG and all the bookazines.

Congratulations to Darran and the team for 100 issues - My favourites amongst this issue being the Andrew Braybrook interview (what a scoop - hopefully now we will see a bit more of AB) and also Craig's interview with the SIDmeister himself, Rob Hubbard.

Here's looking forward to Issue 200 with the retroinspection of the X360 :)

Igorthegreen

Post by Igorthegreen » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:09 pm

Eric wrote:
Igorthegreen wrote:Can someone tell me if my entry made it to the From The Forum section? I made it into issue 50; so that would be nice :-)
Sorry nope.
WHAT? THAT'S IT! I'M CANCELING MY SUBSCR...

:lol:
Join my '8-BIT KIDS' book Kickstarter at http://tinyurl.com/c64club

clarance

Post by clarance » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:40 pm

Mayhem wrote:
clarance wrote:Don't think much of that free issue one reprint either, the cover of mine was of a very poor quality, terrible reprint...
The original looks like that, it's meant to be faux worn.

Sorry, that was a little bit of irony on my part, should have known better... ...mind you, the 100th issue cover is bafflingly bad. And I don't even like Dr.Pepper.
Death may be your Santa Claus.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:28 pm

LeeT wrote:Well its been a few years since I posted here and despite me not having the time or so much interest to play games these days, I've still bought every issue of RG and all the bookazines.

Congratulations to Darran and the team for 100 issues - My favourites amongst this issue being the Andrew Braybrook interview (what a scoop - hopefully now we will see a bit more of AB) and also Craig's interview with the SIDmeister himself, Rob Hubbard.

LeeT :shock:

Welcome back! Hope you hang around :D
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:58 pm

markopoloman wrote:
LeeT wrote:Well its been a few years since I posted here and despite me not having the time or so much interest to play games these days, I've still bought every issue of RG and all the bookazines.

LeeT :shock:

Welcome back! Hope you hang around :D
Yes, I miss his thread locking antics! :D

khisanth

Post by khisanth » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:16 pm

Strange how people who supposedly love/into retro games dont like a cover that has loads of sprites from retro games :?

Evermore

Post by Evermore » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:47 pm

I've been a regular Retro Gamer reader now for a good three or four years, and have been looking forward, like so many others on here, to issue 100. However, unlike so many other readers in this thread, I am disappointed with the magazine.

Firstly, the idea of supplying Issue 1 in theory is very sound, considering the price the thing goes for on eBay. However in practice, it was a poor decision as its, to be frank, a very low quality publication. Compared to games TM Issue 1, which was, and still is a very high quality magazine, Issue 1 of Retro Gamer is like a fanzine. The Spectrum feature and the Street Fighter write-ups were the only decent parts of the magazine. Little wonder it folded.

Onto Issue 100 then... Well the magazine has come a long way, and of course in its present form it is well produced for the most part. There are regular factual errors and a very conservative vibe to the magazine, which can be seen in the balance of formats covered, but overall it is worth buying every month. Issue 100 is disappointing in the sense that it is just like every other issue of Retro Gamer produced every month - it just doesn't feel special or unique like games tm issue 100 or indeed Edge issue 100 or 200 are. That it has a feature about the Spectrum yet again, which of course was covered in issue 1 and pretty much every issue since, just goes to show that the editorial team is flipping obsessed with the thing! Obviously the computer is dear to the hearts of the magazine's writers, and no doubt many of those who buy the publication every month, but for everyone else the machine has been covered more than enough now thank you! I hope for the next 100 issues we will see a little more balance and focus on the 8 and 16 bit consoles perhaps. Maybe from issue 300 on the focus could move to the 32 and 64 bit generation? Could be a viable strategy in order to keep the magazine fresh and relevant in the long term. A lot of gamers would love to relive their PlayStation days or indeed their SNES owning times too. I sometimes think that Retro Gamer just doesn't want to reach out to new readers..... but thats a topic for another day!

Lastly, my biggest gripe with issue 100 was a lack of discussion about the magazine itself. No "The Making of Retro Gamer" or something along similar lines was very disappointing. It would have been interesting to read about the rise and fall of the publication a few years back. Some reflection from the staff regarding what has gone on in the magazine over the years would have been great.

Overall, Retro Gamer issue 100 was a very "safe" issue with nothing really of note, bar the questionable (as addressed) inclusion of issue 1. Some interesting articles, but nothing truly memorable or out of the ordinary was included. No controversal articles (like 99's Spectrum vs. C64) about the best retro games, nothing to draw in new readers... just more of the same. A disappointment then, but I look forward to the future output of the magazine never the less.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:22 am

Think a lot of people were very happy to get hold of issue 1, some people actually liked the 'fanzine' type look/feel of Retro Gamer Mk I so its one of those situations where its hard to please everyone.

I've already got issue 1 from years back so this wasnt really any good for me BUT as i subscribe and it didnt cost me anything more/plus i wasnt expecting a free gift with issue 100 anyway theres not really any loss from my point of view.

Wouldnt be interested in an article about why Retro Gamer Mk I folded or the making of. Just want to read about games not how a magazine is made.

Again its just difficult to please everyone, if theres lots of SNES/Playstation then i'm sure the hardcore 8 bit crowd wouldnt be happy. Thing is its reached issue 100 and it must be doing something right

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:31 am

There was a making of retro gamer in issue 50. Didn't see much point in repeating the same story again. Thanks for taking the time to write in though evermore, it's appreciated. I'm guessing you're more of a 16-bit fan?

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:32 am

I feel I have to defend the editorial decisions a little here, especially about the Spectrum.
It is a tired cliche to have "spectrum bashing" from those who are apparently sick of reading about it, but if you look through your issues you will find coverage is not overwhelming at all. Certainly there is not an article on the Spectrum on it's own in every issue, it may cover the games, but if it didn't I would be surprised.
The Spectrum was one of the most iconic and important British computers of the 20th century, also celebrating it's 30th birthday this year. To not include it in Retro Gamer's 100th issue would have been very odd indeed.
If anything, the issue was Commodore heavy with big interviews with Andrew Braybrook and Rob Hubbard.
I also see plenty of coverage of SNES games in most issues, and as to Playstation games, How about the massive Grand Theft Auto article in this one for a start? Retro-Rated? All modern games. The large Megadrive console Sonic article? All examples of consoles and other systems covered very well I thought.
As to the inclusion of Issue 1, Darran stated at the very beginning, that the reason for including it was to show how far the magazine has come, and it certainly has, and for a £1, I would pay £1 for a fanzine anyway. I'm also not surprised that Issue 1 covered the Spectrum, it was the first issue.

The only thing I agree with is the idea about an article on the history of Retro Gamer itself, that would have been quite interesting.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:47 am

psj3809 wrote:Think a lot of people were very happy to get hold of issue 1, some people actually liked the 'fanzine' type look/feel of Retro Gamer Mk I so its one of those situations where its hard to please everyone.

I've already got issue 1 from years back so this wasnt really any good for me BUT as i subscribe and it didnt cost me anything more/plus i wasnt expecting a free gift with issue 100 anyway theres not really any loss from my point of view.
This. I really like the early issues of RG. Its so clearly a labour of love, a fanzine gone commercial. Its rather reflective of retro gaming itself where the commercial support is long gone for new titles but the homebrewers and emulator coders keep it going, along with the commercial side keeping us topped up with rereleased old faves for the new systems.

New RG is still a great read, but it does lack that charm from the earlier ones. Its not a bad thing, its just different, its become more professional and the writing style and layout have changed. Old issues have a lot of the authors in the articles where current RG is very factual and led by the interviewees. Almost different mags. Initially we felt the love, now we get more info.

On the topic of facts, lets not forget that the old RG didn't fold. It was brought down by a publishing house that extended into other magazines too far, too quickly. The company folded but if what we've been told is correct, RG was one of its flagship titles that continually profited and supported the other mags that weren't doing so well. The demise of RG was not due to the mag itself, far from it. Probably just as well or we may not have seen it reborn.

Started reading issue 100, there's loads of top content this month. Hubbard is in it, Braybrook is in it, I'm loving the 'top moments'... great issue overall I'd say (though I agree the cover doesn't quite work. I think its the variance in the character resolutions, they just seem off. Might have been better with them in rows by resolution, old ones at the back and newer ones to the front. I love a big pixel but the cover doesn't quite gel for me. But who cares about the cover? Its the content I'm paying for).
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:59 am

clarance wrote:Sorry, that was a little bit of irony on my part, should have known better... ...mind you, the 100th issue cover is bafflingly bad. And I don't even like Dr.Pepper.
:lol: - Oh well, it made me laugh!
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

khisanth

Post by khisanth » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:35 am

Like any emotional subject, people have very selective memories or tend to only notice specific things. For a while I used to think the Speccy coverage was much higher, but hey its a very important machine and when i looked back it was not as high as I thought.

Factual errors? Give us examples!