Official Feedback Issue 100 + Issue 1

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

yakmag

Re: Official Feedback Issue 100 + Issue 1

Post by yakmag » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:17 pm

Not had a proper read thru as of yet, but have noted that I'm in it twice!!

I guess it's always nice to see your name in the mag, but with it been issue 100 it's sort of 'extra' special (as I'm sure everyone will agree!)

I also think that now RG is finally stepping out of the shadow of the classic mags of the 80's (we know who they are!) It truly is a publication made for the fans by the fans.

Live long & prosper!!!

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:50 am

Good issue guys, fantastic free gift for subscribers anyway! Thought the issue itself was ok, some nice features, though would have liked more best games or best games in categories instead of best moments, but ho hum cant have everything, i did enjoy the issue, but truth be told i spent more time reading issue 1, loved the old adverts pages!

Igorthegreen

Post by Igorthegreen » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:58 am

Not arrived to my Belgian mailbox yet... Living in hope :-)
So happy to read there's a type in program for the C64! At school I used to run a computermag for commodore, and it was full of those! Sure'll bring back memories :-)
Join my '8-BIT KIDS' book Kickstarter at http://tinyurl.com/c64club

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:42 am

Excellent work folks!

A great issue, best one for a while actually - plus the fact that I have every issue EXCEPT number one means you've completed my collection for me.

necronom

Post by necronom » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:39 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Oh and has anyone beat my RG Rampage high score yet?
I want to see photos of people playing it on their c64s.
Well, you asked for it!

Last edited by necronom on Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Igorthegreen

Post by Igorthegreen » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:05 am

necronom wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Oh and has anyone beat my RG Rampage high score yet?
I want to see photos of people playing it on their c64s.
Well, you asked for it!

Can't wait; can't wait...

Say; maybe a bit off-topic, but can you tell me how you get that good image on a lcd-tv? Or are you using an emulator? I never succeed in getting my C64 to play on a modern tv. No sharp image.
Join my '8-BIT KIDS' book Kickstarter at http://tinyurl.com/c64club

necronom

Post by necronom » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:26 am

Igorthegreen wrote:
Can't wait; can't wait...

Say; maybe a bit off-topic, but can you tell me how you get that good image on a lcd-tv? Or are you using an emulator? I never succeed in getting my C64 to play on a modern tv. No sharp image.
I've just got a much better score and I didn't lose a life. I did one level a bit slow though.

The image probably depends on how much you spend on your TV. Mine was a top of the range one at the time (X3000 series), so it gives a great picture with my C64, Vic-20 and Spectrum through the Composite input. In this pic I'm playing it from a real C64. I tried it a few times yesterday in VICE on my PC, but I seem to do much better on the real thing (maybe because I'm learning it the more I play).

My TV is set to 4:3 for my "Retro" input, and it has Game/Text mode on, and a few other things like contrast tweaked. It also zooms the screen a bit so it fills the whole thing by losing almost all the top/bottom C64 borders (not shown in RG Rampage).
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

knight_beat

Post by knight_beat » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:32 am

Eric wrote:Issue 1 gift - is this a first in the magazine world?
It's the first time that a full size reprint has been provided, as far as I'm aware. Amiga Format printed an A5-sized copy of AF #1 in their 100th issue for readers to cut out and keep. However, it was printed in the magazine itself and not in as a separate item. Moving into the digital realm, Personal Computer World made a big deal of the fact that they were providing a digital copy (PDF) of their 1st issue on the cover disc of the 30th anniversary edition a few years ago. However, they forgot to add it and it was provided in the following issue. The 10th anniversary edition of Linux Magazine also provided copies of every article (can't recall if it was HTML or PDF) that had appeared in the previous 100 issues on their coverdisc.

merman

Post by merman » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:24 am

AmigaJay wrote:Good issue guys, fantastic free gift for subscribers anyway! Thought the issue itself was ok, some nice features, though would have liked more best games or best games in categories instead of best moments, but ho hum cant have everything, i did enjoy the issue, but truth be told i spent more time reading issue 1, loved the old adverts pages!
I preferred best moments to yet another best of list, personally...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:58 am

Quite enjoyed reading the Tetris/Henk Rogers feature. Having previously read David Sheff's superb Game Over I thought the RG article added a certain something to the fascinating rights saga that was Tetris.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:15 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:Quite enjoyed reading the Tetris/Henk Rogers feature. Having previously read David Sheff's superb Game Over I thought the RG article added a certain something to the fascinating rights saga that was Tetris.
Having (finally) gotten around to reading my copy, can only echo this-Tetris is a game i loved on C64, but held little interest since yet i found the RG article and bloody good read.It's features like this that in my humble view has made RG stand out head and shoulders above the crowd-You take a subject i've a fleeting interest in and next thing you know, i'm glued to the article on it.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:23 am

martyg wrote:Hope you guys enjoy the article on the crash. Had a good time writing it and trying to dispel a lot of the more common myths surrounding it.
Fantastic piece of work, very good read and learnt a lot.Previousily read bits n pieces on what happened and why, but this article is best i've clapped eyes on.

:D Also loved the Hubbard interview, along with Andrew B., how about getting Tony Crowther for issue 200?

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:54 am

martyg wrote:Hope you guys enjoy the article on the crash. Had a good time writing it and trying to dispel a lot of the more common myths surrounding it.
I plan on making that the next article from the new issue I read. Will certainly be nice to see some of the myths dispelled as there's so much nonsense and revisionist history talked about that period still to this day that it's about time the record was finally set straight!
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

merman

Post by merman » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:34 pm

thevulture wrote:
Fantastic piece of work, very good read and learnt a lot.Previousily read bits n pieces on what happened and why, but this article is best i've clapped eyes on.

:D Also loved the Hubbard interview, along with Andrew B., how about getting Tony Crowther for issue 200?
Hopefully we can get Tony in much sooner than that...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:45 pm

I flicked through TMR's copy yesterday and apart from the awful cover (great concept badly realised) it is a bloody fine issue. Some great articles that I look forward to reading.