Official Feedback Issue 100 + Issue 1

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

martyg

Re: Official Feedback Issue 100 + Issue 1

Post by martyg » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:54 pm

Hope you guys enjoy the article on the crash. Had a good time writing it and trying to dispel a lot of the more common myths surrounding it.
Marty

ClassicGaming.Com
Atari Gaming Headquarters - http://www.atarihq.com
Midwest Gaming Classic - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com
Electronic Entertainment Museum (E2M)
Syzygy Company - http://www.syzygycompany.com/

Szczepaniak

Post by Szczepaniak » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:55 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:As far as I know everyone will be getting it if they're a sub, regardless of where they live.
Ace, cheers. Will post once it arrives. :)

Fandenivoldsk

Post by Fandenivoldsk » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:57 am

Congratulations RG for 100 fantastic issues!

mlucifersam

Post by mlucifersam » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:13 am

I think this issue is one of the best yet! The thing with 'Retro Gamer' is, like 'Crash' back in the day, you can flick through and read the REALLY interesting bits, then later go back and read the interesting bits, then LATER you can still pick it up and read the rest! Then you re-read the bits you read first. And it lasts AGES!

And you people moaning about already having issue 1. Get a F*CKING grip. Of course, SOME people are bound to have it, it did go out in the shops, people did buy it! But to moan that it has no interest cos you already have it, shut up, MOST of us don't have it and I love that I have 2 issues to read (thought the new issue is much easier to read than the first, just shows how much it's improved).

You've just got sour grapes cos your original issue 1 has now de-valued by a couple of quid!

And to consider cancelling your subscription because of the free gift it just plain HILARIOUS! :lol:

Well done everyone, and here's to the next 100! Your magazine has helped revive my interest in games gone by, an interest I don't think I'll ever lose now.
Mark R. Jones

Ocean Software Ltd FB page: http://www.facebook.com/OceanSoftwareLtd
Ultimate Play The Game FB page: https://www.facebook.com/ultimateptg

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:21 am

I've got every issue so the free gift of issue 1 for me wasnt the best. But i dont mind at all, i wasnt expecting a free gift for Issue 100 anyway, i subscribe so i dont get charged extra (is issue 100 a quid more ?). I know a lot of people dont have issue 1 so this is a great gift for them.

But like i say i wasnt expecting anything extra so its no huge loss for me. Still loving the cover, great idea

merman

Post by merman » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:37 am

Well, first of all, well done to everyone involved in getting the magazine to this milestone.

And issue 100 is fantastic, from the loading stripes on the plastic bag to the type-in game. I am jealous of the writers who got to do the interviews with Andrew Braybrook and Rob Hubbard, but I think my favourite article is Marty's in-depth look at at the 1983 crash. And once again there is a wonderful range of article subject, topped off with David Braben's comments on Elite, the developer Retrorevivals and the celebratory signature pages. (I knew this was happening but it looks great in print). In fact, kudos to the design too, as it really enhances the content. As a reader and a writer, it's been so much fun and this is a great way to celebrate.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:38 am

Congratulations to everyone at Retro Gamer for hitting the big 100th issue. Quite a triumph considering its niche appeal. I haven’t picked up my copy yet (it still gets delivered to my old address!) but can’t wait to get the bathroom to myself for a read. Genuinely shocked with some of the reactions to the FREE reprint of issue 1. A fantastic idea and quite a surprise, especially due to the rarity of the original issue.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:06 am

Cheeseburger wrote:I've been away from RG for a while but was tempted back with issue 100 sitting proud in my local Smiths - and what an issue! Free issue 1 reprint and an interview with Mr Braybrook - you really can't ask for better than that. So heres a big thank you to all the guys involved with the magazine over the years. For a niche magazine to hit 100 issues with basically the same staff and freelance guys is a pretty amazing effort. Long may it continue! Question - over RGs 100 issue lifespan, which of the staff/freelancers has featured in the most issues? My money would be on Martin Carroll or Paul Drury.

Now to hunt down those two years of back issues I've missed!
I think it's Paul Drury. He's actually been in more issues than I have.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:20 am

I have just ordered it from the imagine shop because I don't want to miss this one but my local WHSmith in Ealing (the only bloody place I know that sells it!) can be hit and miss and I'm too knackered from my jog to walk up there to get it today. Add in busy at work and the odds are stacked against me so I shall wait for it to be posted and 100% definitely get it.

Will post when I get it, and hope my suggested feature on the forum members messages looks good! Or I'll be starting a witch hunt for those responsible!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:22 am

smila wrote:
William S wrote:
Megamixer wrote:Bet there'll be a sudden influx of 'mega rare' RG #1's on ebay, perhaps with a thumb covering the 'Reprint. Not for Resale' bit in the photos :lol:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RETRO-GAMER-M ... 1c2460d726

That didn't take long.... And he just happens to have 10 of them... :roll:
What a cheeky little monkey - not even mentioning the facts its a reprint.
Hope his next censored is a hedgehog.
The worst thing is that 2 have actually been sold!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:28 am

I do have a quick question - buying it off the imagine shop will still give me the bonus issue 1 correct ( I live in London just in case that info is necessary to answer) if not may have to jog to Smith's after all!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:34 am

Megamixer wrote:The worst thing is that 2 have actually been sold!
Stupid thing is he'd probably make more money by leaving them sealed in the bag along with issue 100 and selling them on ebay in a few months time.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Welly

Post by Welly » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:42 am

Gonna suggest that the free issue of RG1 with the latest issue won't really devalue the original print.

I'm delighted to have a copy as i've not really been in a position to bid on an original - but keeping in mind the reprint has some slightly edited content, the original print will still be highly sought after. I know i still want one at least!

Fantastic gesture though, and it's a shame some would feel the need to complain about it. Look at the bigger picture and maybe not be so selfish? Retro Gamer is a much bigger publication than when it started, the share of people that have it compared to those that don't is probably one in five?

Of the 100 issues i think i'm missing four or five, i've got no complaints if RG want to help plug a gap here or there! haha

interghost

Post by interghost » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:48 am

Sorry if I offended anyone with my comments. It was how I was feeling at the time of receiving my magazines when returning home from work!
I would like to thank Darren for the comments and Im sure he knows that I didnt mean to 'bad mouth' his VERY hard work that him and the team put into every issue of RG.
I still feel the magazine is the BEST gaming mag available today in the shops and I hope it continues to go from strenght to strenght...
I was put out by the 'free' gift at first, but this was not a reason for me to unsubscribe. And it was nothing to do with it making my original worth less money (As I would never sell them!) People who know me know that I collect other magazines such as Crash and would LOVE an issue 1 of that magazine! (Still looking on ebay)
As for the unsubbing thing, I like another on here was thinking about using the 100 issue mark as a good place to cut off and Im sure we are not the only ones.
However, I will not be taking this decision lightly as I do love the mag and it only comes down to money at the end of the day! (Im still yet decided and Im sure it will come down to my wife at the end of the day haha)
Once again, sorry people that got angry at the comment and THANK YOU Darren and the rest of the guys for the fab Mag! (Although I would still of liked a different 'freebie' haha!) :wink:

MartynC

Post by MartynC » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:51 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Cheeseburger wrote:I've been away from RG for a while but was tempted back with issue 100 sitting proud in my local Smiths - and what an issue! Free issue 1 reprint and an interview with Mr Braybrook - you really can't ask for better than that. So heres a big thank you to all the guys involved with the magazine over the years. For a niche magazine to hit 100 issues with basically the same staff and freelance guys is a pretty amazing effort. Long may it continue! Question - over RGs 100 issue lifespan, which of the staff/freelancers has featured in the most issues? My money would be on Martin Carroll or Paul Drury.

Now to hunt down those two years of back issues I've missed!
I think it's Paul Drury. He's actually been in more issues than I have.
That'd be Richard Burton. His first article was in #2 and then he wrote regularly from #4 onwards (starting with Auction Watch, then Back to the 80s). So I'm pretty sure that out of 100 issues, he's featured in 98 of them!