Official Feedback Issue 100 + Issue 1

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

kiwimike

Re: Official Feedback Issue 100 + Issue 1

Post by kiwimike » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:53 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:please leave interghost alone guys. He's a nice chap (we've been car booting together) and if he feels he's not getting value for money that's up for him to decide. Oh and has anyone beat my RG Rampage high score yet?
I want to see photos of people playing it on their c64s.
I was flicking through an old issue the other day and saw your Time Pilot high score...chucked on the jamma Arcade and smoked it! Switching to Smug mode... :wink:

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:06 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:please leave interghost alone guys. He's a nice chap (we've been car booting together) and if he feels he's not getting value for money that's up for him to decide. Oh and has anyone beat my RG Rampage high score yet?
I want to see photos of people playing it on their c64s.
i know it may be a coincedence that your post comes after mine, but I wasn't having a go at Interghost, I was just making a LOTR joke that my issue hadn't arrived yet :(

I just know I'm going to buy it tomorrow lol
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:10 pm

If you buy online do you get charged postage?

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:11 pm

I just bought it online now, and I got charged postage...but then, I do live In NZ so I guess it's fair enough...! :wink:

DanWelsh86

Post by DanWelsh86 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:13 pm

Best thing I ever did was take out a subscription a year ago and I simply love getting the magazine through my letterbox. This issue no exception especially with Issue no.1 included.

Here's too another 100 issues.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:18 pm

retrojc wrote:If you buy online do you get charged postage?
Not if you live in a branch of WH Smith.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:19 pm

interghost wrote:This is the first time Ive felt that Ive need to post something on the RG Forum. However, after receiving the 100th issue I felt I had too!
Ive been looking forward to the issue for a few months now, and have been thinking, "I wonder what special suprise they have for us!! Hopefully a FREE game or a DVD? Or maybe even a cover tape for use on a Speccy or C64 etc etc..." but nope! WHY... ISSUE 1...??
To say Im disapointed is an under statement... I like many fans of the magazine have been collecting the mag ever since day 1... and can proudly say I own every copy of the mag. And even though the high prices on ebay, I have kept hold of them out of love for the mag. (These prices Im sure may have just dropped from £50 to 99p Im sure!)
I think this is a bit of a kick in the teeth for the devoted fans of the mag and think this was the wrong move?
Im sure a large number of people didnt get the first mag, but there are PDF copies already for sale? And if they REALLY needed it so bad would buy one from ebay?
Ive been thinking for unsubscribing for a little while as the content is starting to duplicate (Although beefed out a bit) and to be completely honest this poor freebie might have just pushed the vote to do so... sorry Retro Gamer and sorry Darren, you know I love the mag!
Cheers :?
Forget the 'bonus thing'...did you like the Issue 100? Isn't that the point? Do you mean to say you stressed and dwelled on what freebie youd get rather than the mag and it's content? And you say yourself you enjoy the mag and this is enough to make you not buy it now? Fair enough.
I don't have issue 1, and I don't want an effin PDF nor do I want to pay scalpers prices on ebay. So this is great for me. But you can't please all the people all the time. :wink:

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:23 pm

retrojc wrote:If you buy online do you get charged postage?
Yes - £1.50
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

MikeFishcake

Post by MikeFishcake » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:58 pm

Looking like a great issue so far, and I've not even started on "Issue 1" yet.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:22 pm

I was going to cancel my sub after this issue, 100 straight issues, well 101 if you count the retro revival one, seemed like a good jumping off point. I was still going to pick up the odd issue if there was something of interest in there, but then I flicked through the mag and got to next month only to see there's going to be an article on the beeb in there, so it looks like I'll be a sub for one more issue. I look forward to getting issue 2 with next months mag as well.
Splink!

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:01 pm

The funny thing is, Darran's played his cards pretty close to his chest with this issue, so the only other feature I knew was in the mag was Paul's one about the Magnavox Odyssey. So I'm just flicking through and there's ONLY AN INTERVIEW WITH ANDREW BLOODY BRAYBROOK. It's one thing to be thoroughly surprised as a reader, but another as a contributor. Looking forward to reading through the rest of the mag!
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

noobish hat

Post by noobish hat » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:04 pm

I knew! Heheheh. Can't wait to read it. Bloody post office (only place that sells RG in my town) was closed today due to 'nationwide technical problems'(!?)

TMR

Post by TMR » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:12 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:So I'm just flicking through and there's ONLY AN INTERVIEW WITH ANDREW BLOODY BRAYBROOK. It's one thing to be thoroughly surprised as a reader, but another as a contributor.
Heh, Darran asked me to grab the Amiga screenshots for that so i had a rather hopeful guess as to what they were for and my fingers crossed... =-)

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:21 pm

Blumf wrote:Oh wow, oh WOW!

Braybrook, Hubbard and a C64 type-in! This issue is simply amazing.
Well done Darren and Co., you've done us proud with the 100th issue.

I remember talking to Markopoloman at the Retro replay last year, and he was lamenting he couldn't get hold of an issue 1. Very cool that it's been included. :)
I held him to ransom... reprint Issue 1 and in return I'd keep all the juicy issue 100 content secret! (maybe a lie or two there!) :lol:

Just been reading some of issue 1 - it's really good to see how things have changed over the years. Back then the mag was new, fresh and (not meant in a nasty way - actually, it's in a nice fuzzy way) amateur. Martyn Carrol - if you read this, you are a legend - the Matt Smith of Retro Gaming print! A man, NO, a god like you should be allowed to sleep in a curry without ridicule! Heck, you could have a bath in a curry and I wouldn't bat an eyelid :mrgreen:

Darran - I've watched you play Manic Miner........ it was almost curry good, but not quite :lol: (although Darran is of course a god too) :D
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Cheeseburger

Post by Cheeseburger » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:13 pm

I've been away from RG for a while but was tempted back with issue 100 sitting proud in my local Smiths - and what an issue! Free issue 1 reprint and an interview with Mr Braybrook - you really can't ask for better than that. So heres a big thank you to all the guys involved with the magazine over the years. For a niche magazine to hit 100 issues with basically the same staff and freelance guys is a pretty amazing effort. Long may it continue! Question - over RGs 100 issue lifespan, which of the staff/freelancers has featured in the most issues? My money would be on Martin Carroll or Paul Drury.

Now to hunt down those two years of back issues I've missed!