From the forum issue 101

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

From the forum issue 101

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:43 am

This month's question is
What's your favourite BBC Micro game?

Roo

Re: From the forum issue 101

Post by Roo » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:48 am

I wasn't even born when it came out, but Repton is the only game on the Micro that makes we want to go back to the time.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:49 am

Well I remember playing one game loads, and I even thought it better than the Speccy version - so it has to be Chuckie Egg!
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:52 am

It's a game that I don't have a clue what the name is. Used to play it at school.
It was a top-down shooter in space. Your ship looked like the Liberator out of Blakes 7 and it had a radar screen. The ship was always in the middle of the screen and the star field moved around you......

I loved it!

I've still got the BBC I won at a retro event. It is fantastic as it has been doctored to play games via a memory stick! :D
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Wil

Post by Wil » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:04 am

markopoloman wrote:It's a game that I don't have a clue what the name is. Used to play it at school.
It was a top-down shooter in space. Your ship looked like the Liberator out of Blakes 7 and it had a radar screen. The ship was always in the middle of the screen and the star field moved around you......
That sounds like Acornsoft's Starship Command. It was written by one of the guys who went on to do Exile.

Speaking of which, it's got to be a toss-up between that and Elite. I'll say Elite. A safe and predictable answer but there you go.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:14 am

Imogen, without a doubt! Chuckie Egg's a very close second.

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:25 am

Elite 100%...
This is a game which caused me so much jealousy when it came out on the BBC and I had a Spectrum.
The wait for a conversion was almost unbearable to my childhood self... and when it did come it was good, but not as good as BBC Elite.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:35 am

Wil wrote:
markopoloman wrote:It's a game that I don't have a clue what the name is. Used to play it at school.
That sounds like Acornsoft's Starship Command. It was written by one of the guys who went on to do Exile.

Speaking of which, it's got to be a toss-up between that and Elite. I'll say Elite. A safe and predictable answer but there you go.
Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh! That sounds like it. Digging time - thanks! :D
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Sokurah

Post by Sokurah » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:43 am

I never had a BBC myself but one of my best friends did, and the game I liked playing the most over there was Elite.
Sure, eventually it came out on the Spectrum too - and while it was a good conversion it just wasn't as fluid as the original.
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games. All freeware for PC & Mac.
Twitter: Sokurah

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:44 am

Hard one! In my earlier years I played on the BBC nearly as much as my Spectrum because both my school and neighbour had them. I think the game I used to play the most strangely was some obscure game called Tower Bridge but thinking back my favourite game for the machine was a game called Kix, a fine clone of Taito's arcade game Qix.

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:49 am

Never owned nor played on a BBC. Will plump for Repton, though - school mates got to play it during breaktime as they chose computer studies as a lesson, and I thought the game then was just bizarre and soooo wanted a go.

fujiHunter

Post by fujiHunter » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:51 am

Aqua Attack. There cannot be many better games for the BBC Micro than this insanely addictive 'Centipede' clone. :)

Thinking back, I recall there was a few BBC Micros kicking around my old Primary School in the mid 80s. Finish your schoolwork early in class and you got to kill your spare time in front of the BBC Micro. This was there purely as an educational tool to help us children learn... you understand. :) That someone used to bring in Aqua Attack on a 5.25 floppy disc (remember those?) and that the teacher frequently turned a blind eye was nothing but a happy coincidence. Honest. ;)

necronom

Post by necronom » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:59 am

Predictable, but it's Elite. A friend had an Electron, and we used to play Elite on it quite a lot.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:02 am

The closest I came to a BBC was peering through a door (one of those with bullet proof glass, well, the stuff with metal in the glass) of my school computer room wondering what in the heck they were. :oops:

VinnyM

Post by VinnyM » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:06 am

My cousin had a good old BBC B micro and I used to love playing Dare Devil Dennis by Simon Pick. Great little graphics and a lot of fun to play.
Fancy viewing some Commodore 64 game endings? http://www.c64endings.co.uk
Old C64 games refreshed and revived: http://www.c64endings.freeolamail.com/h ... yhacks.htm