RG You've got some nerve.

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

t0nedude

RG You've got some nerve.

Post by t0nedude » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:13 am

Just skimming thru the latest issue (99) and couldn't believe the C64 v Spectrum comparo in it. This sort of thing has ALWAYS been destructive, first in school playgrounds and later, forums and you had the 'good' sense to now include it in your magazine under the guise of a definitive article?

You must be out of your puny minds. I was so disgusted after only reading a few lines and found two, yes 2! inaccuracies in that time. Here are 3 FACTS just for your info: FACT: The Spectrum has a much more powerful processor than the C64, it is better at 3d games because of it (and yet in the article you state the C64 is more powerful which is impossible to quantify). FACT: The Spectrum can load games nearly 4 times faster than the 64 due to a much higher baud rate (In the article the dopey journo refered to the C64 tape loading to be easier). FACT: The Spectrum has more usable RAM than the C64 (41k v 39k) (I've seen you refer to the C64 as having 64k so many times it isn't funny). You can get most of these off the 'net, it isn't difficult.

So your 'definitive' article is riddled with inaccuracies and isn't worth the paper it's written on. You certainly have some brass balls on you to print this controversial comparo, state it's definitive and riddle it with inaccuracies and opinion.

So we're now back to square one again, nice work RG. If I was being cynical I would say you did it to appease your growing worldwide readership, as the 64 was an international machine.

I've cancelled my subscription (should have done it ages ago with your badly researched articles and bullshit). Expect your magazines to be appearing on Ebay in the near future.

Tony.

jdanddiet

Re: RG You've got some nerve.

Post by jdanddiet » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:17 am

Yeah right on mate, bloody c64 propaganda :lol:
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:58 am

It really doesn't matter, does it?

I read the article with an open mind (and, yes, I did flick to the conclusion before reading the main body) then carried on about my business. Real life, you know?

Who here really gives a crap about this? Not me, I have adult things to worry about.

This place is never fails to amaze me in just how passionate its members are about this hobby. I consider that to be a good thing, but cancelling your subscription to the mag over an opinion of ancient old machines? Good God man, give yourself a shake. My Sega passion (especially for the Saturn) is well known in here, but if ever I'm asked my opinion on which was best: SS or PSX - the answer is always the same: PSX. It's not something I lose sleep over, though and I certainly wouldn't throw an online strop about what is after all, only an opinion.
Thoughts and prayers.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:11 am

t0nedude wrote: FACT: The Spectrum has more usable RAM than the C64 (41k v 39k) (I've seen you refer to the C64 as having 64k so many times it isn't funny). You can get most of these off the 'net, it isn't difficult.
Well imagine if they had remembered that 128k Spectrums exist :lol:

NickLoTurco10

Post by NickLoTurco10 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:20 am

Loving the rant and the fact that even 30 years later it's causing arguments! I had a speccy myself and had a feeling RG would go with C64, nothing to get worked up about though. The writers aren't perfect! Although I do agree this article was bound to cause friction.....it's hardly settled anything has it?!
Please visit my blog page http://www.hitthesport.wordpress.com

Amiga 1200, Blizzard IV, WHDload-massive!

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:22 am

It's hard to disagree with anything tOnedude has said. Especially so, perhaps, the opening paragraph.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:28 am

Last time i looked we had a perfectly good Issue 99 Feedback thread......

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:02 am

thevulture wrote:Last time i looked we had a perfectly good Issue 99 Feedback thread......
this

necronom

Post by necronom » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:41 pm

t0nedude wrote:FACT: The Spectrum has a much more powerful processor than the C64, it is better at 3d games because of it (and yet in the article you state the C64 is more powerful which is impossible to quantify). FACT: The Spectrum can load games nearly 4 times faster than the 64 due to a much higher baud rate (In the article the dopey journo refered to the C64 tape loading to be easier). FACT: The Spectrum has more usable RAM than the C64 (41k v 39k) (I've seen you refer to the C64 as having 64k so many times it isn't funny). You can get most of these off the 'net, it isn't difficult.
I haven't read it yet, but:

1: More powerful as in it has custom chips to do clever things, I would imagine it means. The Spectrum has to do everything with the CPU which slows certain things down.

2: Not sure about that, but I remember Boulderdash loading off tape in 11 seconds (it may have been a cracked version, but still...)

3: The C64 has 64k of RAM *the clue is in the name). It has about 38 for BASIC. BASIC have nothing to do with commercial games. Commercial games use the full 64k if they want it.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

TMR

Post by TMR » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:16 pm

t0nedude wrote:FACT: The Spectrum can load games nearly 4 times faster than the 64 due to a much higher baud rate (In the article the dopey journo refered to the C64 tape loading to be easier).
Loading is indeed easier on the C64 because, whilst tape decks for both occasionally require maintainance or fiddling with the alignment, the C64 doesn't have all the "fun" of trying to find the correct volume level and can control it's cassette motor; remember having to stop the tape after a level loaded on a Spectrum game? That mad dash for the pause key isn't there with the C64.

The "nearly 4 times faster" bit is based on default transfer speeds and, with software fastloaders able to drag data in significantly faster, should be ignored.
t0nedude wrote:FACT: The Spectrum has more usable RAM than the C64 (41k v 39k) (I've seen you refer to the C64 as having 64k so many times it isn't funny). You can get most of these off the 'net, it isn't difficult.
No, despite being on the internet this is FICTION. The 39K you're quoting presumably stems from adding the one-byte-shy-of-38K available to BASIC programs to 1K of screen RAM but that's a bad comparison since the 41K for the Spectrum is without screen. But the C64 has a 4K window between the back end of the BASIC ROM and start of the VIC-II registers that BASIC programs can use (so is therefore available to them) which gives the C64 42K for BASIC. And of course, all bets are off for machine code programmers since they get access to more than 64K because it is indeed a 64K machine.

It's a shame to see anyone cancel their subscription, even more so when it's because misrepresented "facts" on the internet don't tally with what appears in the magazine...

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:27 pm

ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:38 pm

For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

DigitalDuck

Post by DigitalDuck » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:03 pm

necronom wrote:3: The C64 has 64k of RAM *the clue is in the name). It has about 38 for BASIC. BASIC have nothing to do with commercial games. Commercial games use the full 64k if they want it.
I wouldn't use the fact that it's in the name as your case - for example, the 128K Spectrums have 112KB of RAM. But yes, the C64 does have 64KB of RAM (although some of it DOES have to be reserved for system use, e.g. graphics).

Speccy's better, though. :mrgreen:
Xbox Live | YouTube | Top games picture | Top games list

Help needed for gaming-related projects! PM or email for full details if you can do:
2D or 3D art
Story writing
Shmup level design

Dave300

Post by Dave300 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:55 pm

would this guy cancel his TV Licence if an advert came on he didn't like? :lol:

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:43 pm

sounds suspiciously in tone to a certain M. Lightbourne to me...