Official Feedback Issue 99

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

NorthWay

Re: Official Feedback Issue 99

Post by NorthWay » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:57 pm

I messed that one up...

I still stand by my word that the ratio is not "far better" than the C= 64. And no sane programmer on the C= 64 would do it the same way as on the Spectrum (in general, isometric games notwithstanding), instead getting a ratio 2-4 times better than it.

Ratio is a kinda funny stat to pick anyway. When the graphics are laid out in memory, it is more interesting how much you have left?

So, Platinum guys probably liked the Spectrum you think? ;-)

merman

Post by merman » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:47 am

The C64 situation is actually more complicated, because the VIC chip only "sees" in banks of 16K. There are ways around it. But the general argument is essentially true.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Tabe

Post by Tabe » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:04 pm

Late to the party as always but I've just started reading issue 99 and thought I'd throw in some feedback.

First off, I think the cover is terrible. Don't really care how accurate it is to the game, which I never played originally, just know that it's ugly. Really, really ugly. I will admit that the cover caused me to skip over reading this issue of RG a couple times when scanning my shelf for an issue to read among the 15 or so I have piled up unread. It only got read this time because I went with a "just grab a random issue and read it, no matter what" method this time.

That said, the actual content is fantastic as always. The 3D Monster Maze article was fascinating and I liked the Mega Man article as well.

Still have 60 pages to go so this feedback is incomplete.

Oh, and any mention of early fighting games is incomplete without mention of the Apple II game "Black Belt", which was fantastic.

Tabe

kleinemaus

Post by kleinemaus » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:32 am

I'm with Archer MacLean, and we know what he says is the 'best machine'. Archer rules.

Anyway, shame about the A8 mistake, shouldn't happen, cheapens the mag.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:05 am

kleinemaus wrote:I'm with Archer MacLean, and we know what he says is the 'best machine'. Archer rules.

Anyway, shame about the A8 mistake, shouldn't happen, cheapens the mag.
Do you know every fact about retro gaming then because I certainly don't. I'm sorry that you feel a single mistake cheapens the mag.

kleinemaus

Post by kleinemaus » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:17 am

Don't wanna say too much really, I haven't read that issue yet, looking forward to it though, 3D Monster Maze sounds good (I just flicked through the mag, but I'm reading backwards, I am on issue 102).

Talking about Monster Maze and WH Smith, did you know that WH Smith started the computer revolution in UK in 1978/9ish. WH Smith London branch (can't remember which) opened up a huge corner to display computers after a manager from WH Smith went to the USA and was amazed by the wealth of computers all over the place. After he returned he said, this is it, it's gonna happen here to, so he bought computers and made a huge display of computers in his branch of WH Smith. True story.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:18 am

That's something I didn't know, you can have my job if you like :D

kleinemaus

Post by kleinemaus » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:22 am

Don't worry there's a lot of things I don'y know either (concerning gaming, of course, if you ask me about girls, I knows all)

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:43 am

kleinemaus wrote: if you ask me about girls, I knows all
Fantastic.

I've always wondered why they cackle unbearably when they are out together on a Hen Night & seem to get giddy about f--k all?
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue