Official Feedback Issue 99

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

mrspud

Re: Official Feedback Issue 99

Post by mrspud » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:39 am

I buy it because it makes me feel warm and fuzzy every month.

SUPERB cover by the way. This issue looks like it is packed to the brim with skillness. Should be a great read on the loo.
New Amiga, SAM Coupé and Speccy games available at http://blackjet.co.uk

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:25 am

themightymartin wrote:
pforson wrote:Just read the C64 vs Speccy article on the train this morning. Subscription cancelled.
I hope this is a joke, or that this is something that has been brewing for some time. Why would you cancel your sub just because you disagree with one article?
I hope that reply was a joke about his joke about leaving the mag.

:lol:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:35 am

themightymartin wrote:
pforson wrote:Just read the C64 vs Speccy article on the train this morning. Subscription cancelled.
I hope this is a joke, or that this is something that has been brewing for some time. Why would you cancel your sub just because you disagree with one article?
Its Pete, he'll be 100% joking

ivarf

Post by ivarf » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:01 am

ChipTune wrote: I never warmed to the amstrad due to the colours and really blocky lego like graphics (more so than the C64?
But the Amstrad hasn't blockier graphics than the C64! Maybe it is the sharper Amstrad RGB monitors that make you think so. More colourbleeding is likely on composite, maybe it is that that you like on the C64-tvs/monitors? It can probably make the C64 look less blocky

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:01 pm

I loved the C64 vs the Spectrum feature it was a great read. I was a little surprised that nothing was mentioned about the 128K speccy and the later models. I'm under the impression that the sound was better on these models, as the sound came out the TV rather than a cheap built in speaker like the original ZX?

Looking at Sir Clive's machine, and the man himself, it's not surprising he had no interest in games. He looked a bit like one of my old boring computer teachers back in the day. No offense to the guy. I'm sure he just thought it would be used as an entry level computer, not a games machine.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:12 pm

MattyC64c wrote:I loved the C64 vs the Spectrum feature it was a great read. I was a little surprised that nothing was mentioned about the 128K speccy and the later models. I'm under the impression that the sound was better on these models, as the sound came out the TV rather than a cheap built in speaker like the original ZX?

Looking at Sir Clive's machine, and the man himself, it's not surprising he had no interest in games. He looked a bit like one of my old boring computer teachers back in the day. No offense to the guy. I'm sure he just thought it would be used as an entry level computer, not a games machine.
Yeah I also thought it was a bit wierd how they were only comparing the 48k Speccy to the 64k Commodore and pretending the 128k Spectrum didn't exist.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:26 pm

I'm guessing the writer based it on what most readers would have probably had.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:39 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I'm guessing the writer based it on what most readers would have probably had.
Dunno. At my school every kid I knew except 1 had one of the 4 different 128k machines. Quite a few of us still had a rubber key too but had all upgraded.

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:51 pm

Kind of, though it did refer to how long the machines were manufactured for as a point in favour of the C64, without mentioning the 128K Speccy coming along and being industrialised by Amstrad while Commodore was still hammering out bakolite breadbins. The 128/+2/+3 had the same (or virtually identical) sound chip as an Atari ST, CPC and MSX-1. Arguably not as versatile for music as the SID, but in the right hands it was a pretty close thing.

What's to the eternal shame of the Sinclair design team is that they didn't take the opportunity to add something like the graphics modes of the Timex clone (a hi-res monochrome mode in 12K, or standard res pixel bitmap with 8x1 pixel colour allocation instead of 8x8, a bit like the MSX has or what I use for sprites in Buzzsaw+) while they were working on the 128. As that would have kicked @rse in gaming terms.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:52 pm

Ah, but did Adidas ever make C=64 themed trainers like they did for the Speccy?

Source: http://www.eukicks.com/adidas-adigames-pack-zx-500/
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

pipesfranco

Post by pipesfranco » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:14 pm

I am currently fuming at WHSmith Wilmslow.

I went in and found that it has not been delivered to the store.

It better be there tomorrow or there will be hell to pay Rambo one style lol

But I am gutted it's the highlight of my month....and buying retro stuff :)
Texture Artist in the Gaming Industry - Portfolio - http://www.richardpipespiper.com

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:17 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:Ah, but did Adidas ever make C=64 themed trainers like they did for the Speccy?
I'm sure if you left them outside long enough they'd start to take on a more commodore-y appearance.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:35 pm

joefish wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:Ah, but did Adidas ever make C=64 themed trainers like they did for the Speccy?
I'm sure if you left them outside long enough they'd start to take on a more commodore-y appearance.
Like these..

... but in brown?
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:38 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote: Like these..

They look more like Amstrad shoes.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:39 pm

markopoloman wrote:They look more like Amstrad shoes.
You mean because they actually have real colors in them? :wink: