Official Feedback Issue 99

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

NorthWay
Posts: 1582
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:02 am
Location: Grimstad, Norway

Re: Official Feedback Issue 99

Post by NorthWay » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:15 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Top 25 Amstrad Games
Now that should be a short list. Why yes, my underwear is asbestos lined!

User avatar
Mayhem
Posts: 4739
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:05 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Official Feedback Issue 99

Post by Mayhem » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:35 pm

Heh... actually, I'll be most interested to see how many of the list are Amstrad exclusives or originals...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Image

User avatar
ivarf
Posts: 855
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:08 am
Location: Norway

Re: Official Feedback Issue 99

Post by ivarf » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:58 am

I have a feeling that the list will be just as long as the Spectrum and C64 one, but with the best arcade conversions and better looking games with other colours than brown and pixels that can be placed anywhere. Exclusives, my guess is 7 out of 25 and 15 other games where the Amstrad CPC had the best version

User avatar
Kenz
Posts: 192
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 2:15 pm
Location: Malvern, UK
Contact:

Re: Official Feedback Issue 99

Post by Kenz » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:25 am

Postie just delivered this issue - Frakkin' AWESOME cover! Love it! Still reading the Chrimbo issue at the moment tho' ...! :D
http://www.psytronik.net/ - New games for retro gaming systems!
http://www.binaryzone.org/retrostore/ - Binary Zone Retro Store!
http://psytronik.blogspot.com/ - Psytronik Software Blog now online!

Image

User avatar
DreamcastRIP
Posts: 9376
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:40 am
Location: England

Re: Official Feedback Issue 99

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:41 am

Ditto!

I strongly suspect many readers aren't going to like the conclusion of which was the better system from Speccy and C=64! Especially so, perhaps, due to the 'tone' of the article's concluding paragraph with its opinion-stated-as-fact judgement! :lol:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6739
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:34 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: Official Feedback Issue 99

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:29 am

Mayhem wrote:Heh... actually, I'll be most interested to see how many of the list are Amstrad exclusives or originals...
There were 2 I think. Get Dexter and Sorcery+
We were quite disappointed to be honest. If we ever do something similar it won't be a reader's vote, as then there's the option to put in a lot more obscure stuff.
Image

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6739
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:34 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: Official Feedback Issue 99

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:31 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:Ditto!

I strongly suspect many readers aren't going to like the conclusion of which was the better system from Speccy and C=64! Especially so, perhaps, due to the 'tone' of the article's concluding paragraph with its opinion-stated-as-fact judgement! :lol:
I think our readers are pretty mature. The winner was obviously chosen based on the categories chosen. If others had been put forward, the answer would have no doubt been different.
Image

DRS
Posts: 521
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:47 am
Location: Nottingham

Re: Official Feedback Issue 99

Post by DRS » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:32 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Mayhem wrote:Heh... actually, I'll be most interested to see how many of the list are Amstrad exclusives or originals...
There were 2 I think. Get Dexter and Sorcery+
We were quite disappointed to be honest. If we ever do something similar it won't be a reader's vote, as then there's the option to put in a lot more obscure stuff.
As chairman of the RG party, did you not consider vote rigging? ;]

User avatar
the_hawk
Posts: 5845
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Official Feedback Issue 99

Post by the_hawk » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:39 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I think our readers are pretty mature.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

it's 1st Feb, not 1st April!
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

User avatar
ChipTune
Posts: 2160
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Bristol
Contact:

Re: Official Feedback Issue 99

Post by ChipTune » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:47 am

Just been reading the mag .. well skimming and reading parts of it..

Firstly.. a great issue.. cool cover.. a proper retro cover (not bloody Final fantasy) some real top notch retro stuff in there. .thing on a spring.. 3d monster maze, the c64 vs spectrum thing, even the amstrads 25 games is interesting as I have never played on one.

So yes I am offering positive comments on the mag overall, but the following things struck me:

1. Soul calibur coverage in same month 360 / PS3 game is out.. really? Is money changing hands here?

2. The homebrew sections, and XBLIG in particular are very disappointing.. great titles are missed out and complete drivvel-ware gets mentioned.. (fractalus for gods sake). Invasion is terrible too.. just because it looks the part it gets featured.. but the gameplay is awful, really amateur flah-game style stuff.

3. C64 vs Spectrum.. GRAPHICS .. Winner.. Speccy.. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL add infinitum :lol:

4. Standard letter in letters page by some 'see you en tee' asking why a current gen machine that still has games produced for it isn't featured in the mag on a regular basis..


Im kind of kidding.. all in good humour...

Fantastic issue..

BUT.. can the homebrew section please start covering the deserving titles out there (Escape Goat anyone?) rather than as it current appears which is the reviewer picks some games at random the evening before the mag goes to print. :P
Image

User avatar
ivarf
Posts: 855
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:08 am
Location: Norway

Re: Official Feedback Issue 99

Post by ivarf » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:03 am

ChipTune wrote:Just been reading the mag .. well skimming and reading parts of it..
3. C64 vs Spectrum.. GRAPHICS .. Winner.. Speccy.. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL add infinitum :lol:

Im kind of kidding.. all in good humour...

Fantastic issue..
Yeah, that the Spectrum has better graphics than the C64 MUST be a joke!

User avatar
jdanddiet
Posts: 9001
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:03 am
Location: Essex
Contact:

Re: Official Feedback Issue 99

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:14 am

ChipTune wrote:1. Soul calibur coverage in same month 360 / PS3 game is out.. really? Is money changing hands here?
Presume there's a new Soul Calibur game coming out then? A good tie up, yes?
ChipTune wrote:2. The homebrew sections, and XBLIG in particular are very disappointing.. great titles are missed out and complete drivvel-ware gets mentioned.. (fractalus for gods sake). Invasion is terrible too.. just because it looks the part it gets featured.. but the gameplay is awful, really amateur flah-game style stuff.
Haven't read the ish yet, but I really like Invasion! It's fun!
ChipTune wrote:3. C64 vs Spectrum.. GRAPHICS .. Winner.. Speccy.. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL add infinitum :lol:


What's so funny? :wink:
ChipTune wrote:BUT.. can the homebrew section please start covering the deserving titles out there (Escape Goat anyone?) rather than as it current appears which is the reviewer picks some games at random the evening before the mag goes to print. :P
You mean he picked some games you don't like :wink:
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

User avatar
DreamcastRIP
Posts: 9376
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:40 am
Location: England

Re: Official Feedback Issue 99

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:43 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:Ditto!

I strongly suspect many readers aren't going to like the conclusion of which was the better system from Speccy and C=64! Especially so, perhaps, due to the 'tone' of the article's concluding paragraph with its opinion-stated-as-fact judgement! :lol:
I think our readers are pretty mature. The winner was obviously chosen based on the categories chosen. If others had been put forward, the answer would have no doubt been different.
All the article had to reasonably do in its conclusion was to state something along the lines of, "So based on our chosen criteria we believe X was the better computer".

Stating, as the article does, "But the simple fact is the X is a greater machine..."

It is not a fact, simple or otherwise, and to claim otherwise is plainly a nonsense.

(With 'X' being omitted here by me so not to risk spoiling the surprise for those yet to read the article)
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

User avatar
ChipTune
Posts: 2160
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Bristol
Contact:

Re: Official Feedback Issue 99

Post by ChipTune » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:10 am

compared to the C64 the Spectrum is a joke..

Its like comparing an atari 2600 to a Mega drive :D
Image

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6739
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:34 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: Official Feedback Issue 99

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:11 am

ChipTune wrote:compared to the C64 the Spectrum is a joke..

Its like comparing an atari 2600 to a Mega drive :D
The C64 and Spectrum are both 8-bit computers.
The Atari 2600 is an 8-bit console, the Mega Drive 16-bit. So not really the same comparison at all ;)
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest