Official feedback for Issue 32

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Re:

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:23 am

markopoloman wrote::shock: I want to be with you as a man and a woman :shock:
I CANNOT STOP THINKING ABOUT IT.

GetDexter

Re:

Post by GetDexter » Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:55 am

Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:
CraigGrannell wrote:Anyway, once I get my issue through, I'll totally rip off the Rev and do a DVD-style "extras" bit for anything that's been mercilessly cut by the editors.
Then for now I shall jump in with these two wonderful screenshots from Galaga 88 that sadly didn't make the cut to the Definitive Galaxian piece.

Was this the first appearance of a hermaphrodite in a computer game ???
As requested by the Tw@t himself - his account was Hijacked and has had a change of password.

Sorry Dexter!

paranoid marvin

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:23 am

GetDexter wrote:
Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:
CraigGrannell wrote:Anyway, once I get my issue through, I'll totally rip off the Rev and do a DVD-style "extras" bit for anything that's been mercilessly cut by the editors.
Then for now I shall jump in with these two wonderful screenshots from Galaga 88 that sadly didn't make the cut to the Definitive Galaxian piece.

Was this the first appearance of a hermaphrodite in a computer game ???
no , there's been dinosaurs in loads of games
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Weblaus

Re:

Post by Weblaus » Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:55 am

Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:Then for now I shall jump in with these two wonderful screenshots from Galaga 88 that sadly didn't make the cut to the Definitive Galaxian piece.

Ewww, evil anti-aliasing effect turned on...screengrabs need the original raw pixels to give the nice authentic old-school feeling (minus the scanlines, obviously).

Kai

Post by Kai » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:46 am

I really hope I will receive my issue this time. The last 2 (!) didn't arrive... :cry:

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:49 am

I get mine delivered to work...and I'm off for the next 2 days
argh!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:32 am

Blimey ! Retro Gamer seems to come quicker than a 17 year old virgin nowadays !

Just got my copy so a quick scan...

Back to the 80's looks as good as ever

Nice Prince of Persia article

Before they were famous looks very good

Football management article brings back some memories

Classic game is Super Mario Land (GB), love that game, just seeing those screenshots takes me back to when i was young and rushing out to get my first ever GB and MarioLand with it.

Interesting Philips CD I article

Not too keen on the Phantasy Star article but i'll give it a go.

Way of the Exploding Fist article looks great, brilliant game back then

Excellent Galaxian article, gutted there was never a decent Speccy version. Happy to see Gorf in there

Great to see all those books listed, surprised the Speccy book is there as i've ordered it and not had my copy yet !

Looks like a great read this month

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:15 pm

Just got mine and the cover is as beautiful as I thought.

Haven't read any of it yet but have flicked through and there was a couple of dissapointing things...
Combat School - with it being on the cover I thought we would get more than a little Retro Revival :(
Mortal Kombat - That is the worst layout that the mag has ever used. Those multi screenshots with bigger ones over the top look ghastly :(

But on the positive side, I made it back into From The Forum :D

Can't wait to read the mag as some of the features look fantastic (Before they were Famous, Fist, Footy games, Combat School, Books). Pity I am only halfway through the ish 31 and still have ish 2 of Revolution that I haven't read.

Devin

Re:

Post by Devin » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:17 pm

Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:Then for now I shall jump in with these two wonderful screenshots from Galaga 88 that sadly didn't make the cut to the Definitive Galaxian piece.

That's rather shhhplendid! :D

Look forward to reading this months RetroGamer. Depending what's published I might have a few hot and saucey CD-i screenshots to share with you.
www.blackmoonproject.co.uk - Philips CD-i Gaming... Honest!

forestville

Post by forestville » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:08 pm

another great mag especially the galaxian feature and of course the back to the 80s section 8) 8) :D :D

and well done for all retro gamer mags since issue 19, over a years worth of retro gaming fun in one great mag, thanks

:D :D

and merry christmas
Press play on tape

Sabreman

Post by Sabreman » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:21 am

Unexpectedly saw this in Smiths today. I do like it when mags turn up earlier than their street dates :)

Haven't given it a proper read yet but I'm really happy with the Phantasy Star feature, which I naturally turned to immediately. Generous size and lots of interesting information.

DRS

Post by DRS » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:19 am

Another fine issue, with some diverse articles in - and graced with the finest cover yet i reckon.

The Before They Were Famous piece caught my eye - nice idea and not something i've seen done before. I was rather touched that you credited the quotes from the interview i did with Matt Smith for the Anthology John (you didn't do the same for the Pickford bit but hey you can have that for free mate ;])

Now, I acknowledge that large quantities of Guinness were drunk on both sides during that interview, but Matt never said he had made £300,000 from Styx and i didn't write that... a more modest £3000 was what he got. If he'd made 300k, he might not have been sleeping on his mum's couch all these years later... though actually, I'm not convinced of that...

And his first game was a Galaxian clone (quite apt fot the current issue) he did for the TRS-80 called Delta Tower One published by Molimerx. Oh and if anyone knows where the Molimerx people (once based in Bexley Hill) are today, I'd love to talk to them...

A good article and i think you suggest it won't be the last so i look forward to more... good stuff.

Szczepaniak

Post by Szczepaniak » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:41 am

Oops, apologies about the mistake! I was rereading the piece and had thought it an insane figure when typing it (I'd have retired on that). I should have double checked.

But yes, assuming people like BTWF, we'll have further installments.

The Universal

Re:

Post by The Universal » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:33 am

DRS wrote:Another fine issue, with some diverse articles in - and graced with the finest cover yet i reckon.

The Before They Were Famous piece caught my eye - nice idea and not something i've seen done before. I was rather touched that you credited the quotes from the interview i did with Matt Smith for the Anthology John (you didn't do the same for the Pickford bit but hey you can have that for free mate ;])

Now, I acknowledge that large quantities of Guinness were drunk on both sides during that interview, but Matt never said he had made £300,000 from Styx and i didn't write that... a more modest £3000 was what he got. If he'd made 300k, he might not have been sleeping on his mum's couch all these years later... though actually, I'm not convinced of that...

And his first game was a Galaxian clone (quite apt fot the current issue) he did for the TRS-80 called Delta Tower One published by Molimerx. Oh and if anyone knows where the Molimerx people (once based in Bexley Hill) are today, I'd love to talk to them...

A good article and i think you suggest it won't be the last so i look forward to more... good stuff.
This is what the ever so modest Adams is up to now. He should be able to direct you to the rest of Molimerx, http://www.msadams.com/index.htm.
Just where is Mickey T?

DRS

Post by DRS » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:26 pm

Well thanks Mr Universal - though i only half get what you mean... i have interviewed Scott Adams way back (first Desert Island Disks) and know he began programming on a TRS-80... and i also know Molimerx were the premier publishers (or distributors?) of Tandy software... so erm, are you saying they published some very early games of his?? I'm intrigued - if you know more, please tell mate!

...and no worries John - just pleased there are plans for more BTWF (hey, we've even given it an acronym, so it HAS to reappear ;])