Official Feedback Issue 98

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Gabe

Re: Official Feedback Issue 98

Post by Gabe » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:46 am

psj3809 wrote:
thevulture wrote:If i see a 30 year old game which 'might' look crap i dont really care as i know retro games are often about the gameplay not garish or monochrome graphics or poor tunes/sound effects. I go back and play games like Bomb Jack on Mame/Speccy because the gameplay is superb and of course theres the nostalgia factor.
This kind of statement seems to get rolled-out a lot about retro games as if gameplay no longer exists, but most games back in times of yore were poor/lazy/style-over-substance, just like now. Good games have always existed and always will. The old days weren't inherently better, just different.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:01 am

:? Erm...that's not MY quote. I hate Bombjack, on ALL formats. :lol:

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:09 am

thevulture wrote:I hate Bombjack, on ALL formats. :lol:
What?!?! Someone grab the pitchforks! :twisted: :lol:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:27 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:
:lol: I should have said: '..I hate Bombjack on ALL formats and not afraid to say so' (expects swift ban as a result).

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:51 am

thevulture wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:
:lol: I should have said: '..I hate Bombjack on ALL formats and not afraid to say so' (expects swift ban as a result).
Now, now, thevulture, that'd be almost as troll worthy as Jagfest_UK's comment that's printed on page 108 of the current Retro Gamer! :mrgreen:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:07 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:Now, now, thevulture, that'd be almost as troll worthy as Jagfest_UK's comment that's printed on page 108 of the current Retro Gamer! :mrgreen:
I now have that blown up and framed on my wall :lol:

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:24 pm

Jagfest_UK wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:Now, now, thevulture, that'd be almost as troll worthy as Jagfest_UK's comment that's printed on page 108 of the current Retro Gamer! :mrgreen:
I now have that blown up and framed on my wall :lol:
I can very well believe that too! :lol:

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:10 pm

just read the Alone In The Dark article, great composure shown by that French chap who wrote the game, if it were me it would be something more like "F*** those a**hats who 'came up' with Resident Evil, those c**** copied me so thoroughly the only thing they left out was using my name as the f***** game's author, those silly b*****!! Damn a******* owe me a bag of money, in fact i'm going over right now to those m*********** places and taking whats owed me, filthy c*****!!!"

or something like that. ;)

DaveOwl

Post by DaveOwl » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:00 pm

Pretty good issue this one. I loathe to be the sort of person that stands in WH Smiths for about 20 minutes reading a magazine to death so bought it and wasn't disappointed. *sigh* why didn't I pick them up before...

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:33 am

DaveOwl wrote:Pretty good issue this one. I loathe to be the sort of person that stands in WH Smiths for about 20 minutes reading a magazine to death so bought it and wasn't disappointed. *sigh* why didn't I pick them up before...
Welcome to the mag. You've discovered it at just the right time, as we have something rather special planned for next issue.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:41 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
DaveOwl wrote:Pretty good issue this one. I loathe to be the sort of person that stands in WH Smiths for about 20 minutes reading a magazine to death so bought it and wasn't disappointed. *sigh* why didn't I pick them up before...
Welcome to the mag. You've discovered it at just the right time, as we have something rather special planned for next issue.
You're devoting an entire section to me? That's so lovely! :P

On a more serious (and likely!) note, I loved the Metal Slug feature and the Game Gear content, stuff I found relevant to myself and very interesting.

PSN username - MartinPhantom

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:08 pm

I never got a bloody welcome from the editor :cry:
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:12 am

jdanddiet wrote:I never got a bloody welcome from the editor :cry:
But you do get freelance. Can't have everything ;)

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:46 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
jdanddiet wrote:I never got a bloody welcome from the editor :cry:
But you do get freelance. Can't have everything ;)
That's very true :D
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

jasonorme666

Post by jasonorme666 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:26 am

One thing that really disapointed me is that the best details they could get on the cabinet itself was from a guy who converted a Desert Assult cabinet into an American style TMNT Cabinet.

Where as i'd have prefered an original UK "Hero Turtles" cabinet as its a UK magazine.
Myself and i'm sure many other people in the UK own original turtles cabinets in mint condition and i'm pretty certain would have loved to have been showcased instead.

A picture of my UK Hero Turtles cabinet.