Official Feedback Issue 98

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

jdanddiet

Re: Official Feedback Issue 98

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:29 am

S'like me and Razzle. I buy it for the articles.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:35 am

retrojc wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
retrojc wrote:Sounds to me like the magazine needs new blood. 8)

More opinion. Alot more "Why's" etc
Well we have been taking on a lot more new freelancers and we're always looking for people with knowledge. Or do you feel it's time for me to stand down now?
Nah, but if the magazine's quality does deteriorate, then it will always be your fault.
Well that goes without saying :) Fortunately that hasn't happened, and I don't intend for it to happen any time soon either :)

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:32 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:No. That's not what I'm saying at all. There is no pressure to get new readers, and certainly not at the expense of existing readers. That would be insane. A magazine does need readers to remain healthy though, that's just common sense, so if you do have more readers, you have a healthier mag and everyone is happy. I'm talking more about keeping the old guard happy and that means coming up with interesting ways of spinning well trodden themes. RetroJC has a completely valid point about there are loads of ways to spin something. I've said it many times before but it's a hard job keeping all the readership happy and I know we never manage it as successfully as we could, but we certainly do try. I guess I'm just feeling the pressure of working on issue 100 ;)
Are you saying that you think the "old guard" want new spins on well-trodden themes though (which I take to mean seeing the same game covered in numerous ways)?

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:56 am

I'm not assuming that's what they want at all. I wouldn't be so arrogant to assume I know what the readership wants. What I mean to say is that if there was to be a new Mario feature (one currently isn't planned) then I'd want it to be something that was a big deal different from the previous one, so that it would have worth to long time readers who may have read a mario feature already. Of course, some people don't like certain games full stop, so even one article is one article too many.

Look at Empire, Q, or any other long-running magazine based around a particular subject. They'll always cover the same well worn subjects, Star Wars, The Beatles, Coldplay, Lord Of The Rings, but they do them in a way that is completely different to what's come before it. As a reader, I never personally feel cheated. Even videogames do it. A magazine can have Halo or GTA on its cover and see a significant spike in sales. Now I'm not for one minute suggesting you're going to start seeing Mario covers every other issue, I'm just trying to explain that they have massive appeal and you want that massive appeal to attract new readers. Interestingly, RG doesn't have the spike drops of other gaming mags. I can only assume that something like Mario, or Zelda sparks their interest and they carry on buying because they like what they see.

joefish

Post by joefish » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:19 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:And it's going to get even tougher from issue 101 onwards...
jdanddiet wrote:Why's that Darran? Is it 'cos 100 is going to be such a stunna? :D
Thing is, issue 100 has to be amazing to recoup the 49% of readers who burn their subscription after reading the results of the C64/Speccy face-off in issue 99. :lol:

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:24 pm

joefish wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:And it's going to get even tougher from issue 101 onwards...
jdanddiet wrote:Why's that Darran? Is it 'cos 100 is going to be such a stunna? :D
Thing is, issue 100 has to be amazing to recoup the 49% of readers who burn their subscription after reading the results of the C64/Speccy face-off in issue 99. :lol:
I'm pretty confident C64 owners aren't that bitter...

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:31 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I'm not assuming that's what they want at all. I wouldn't be so arrogant to assume I know what the readership wants. What I mean to say is that if there was to be a new Mario feature (one currently isn't planned) then I'd want it to be something that was a big deal different from the previous one, so that it would have worth to long time readers who may have read a mario feature already. Of course, some people don't like certain games full stop, so even one article is one article too many.

Look at Empire, Q, or any other long-running magazine based around a particular subject. They'll always cover the same well worn subjects, Star Wars, The Beatles, Coldplay, Lord Of The Rings, but they do them in a way that is completely different to what's come before it. As a reader, I never personally feel cheated. Even videogames do it. A magazine can have Halo or GTA on its cover and see a significant spike in sales. Now I'm not for one minute suggesting you're going to start seeing Mario covers every other issue, I'm just trying to explain that they have massive appeal and you want that massive appeal to attract new readers. Interestingly, RG doesn't have the spike drops of other gaming mags. I can only assume that something like Mario, or Zelda sparks their interest and they carry on buying because they like what they see.
That's all fair enough and I understand that, though certainly in the case of current gaming magazines I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a cover about a previous entry in a series (e.g. Halo and GTA covers are all about the next iteration). And with magazines such as Empire or Q they only cover old stuff as a side dish to whatever new is happening, rather than it being the main focus. RG obviously doesn't have that, because I can't imagine many people buy it solely for reviews section.

I'm certainly not knocking the mag you put out, I think it has carved a real identidy for itself thanks to your careful and considered stewardship and is an excellent addition to the newstands up and down the land.

That said, the content doesn't really do it for me anymore purely because we do see the same games coming up (and I am fully aware of the realities behind that). So, despite casting a glance at each issue when it arrives (I never did get around to cancelling my sub), I've only read up to issue 66/67? (the Asteroids one) because of it. But here's the thing - I probably won't ever get around to cancelling my sub, because whilst I don't really enjoy the mag like I used to, I value it enough to keep paying towards it existing.

I still like discussing it, though.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:31 pm

Look at Empire, Q, or any other long-running magazine based around a particular subject. They'll always cover the same well worn subjects, Star Wars, The Beatles, Coldplay, Lord Of The Rings, but they do them in a way that is completely different to what's come before it. As a reader, I never personally feel cheated.'

Darren:Speaking as a once subscriber for Empire, PLEASE don't use them as a template for RG issues Post #100, sure they put a different 'spin' on well covered subjects, but the bloody rag had just become something of a P.R statement given print, it was cringe worthy reading what they passed off as articles at times.Sub was duly cancelled, as Empire became a mere shadow of it's former self.

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:26 pm

thevulture wrote:Look at Empire, Q, or any other long-running magazine based around a particular subject. They'll always cover the same well worn subjects, Star Wars, The Beatles, Coldplay, Lord Of The Rings, but they do them in a way that is completely different to what's come before it. As a reader, I never personally feel cheated.'

Darren:Speaking as a once subscriber for Empire, PLEASE don't use them as a template for RG issues Post #100, sure they put a different 'spin' on well covered subjects, but the bloody rag had just become something of a P.R statement given print, it was cringe worthy reading what they passed off as articles at times.Sub was duly cancelled, as Empire became a mere shadow of it's former self.
Yeah I cancelled my Empire sub. Just seemed very elitist.

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:27 pm

Hey Darran why not let me write "Why I hate Street Fighter" 8)

Retro Gamer for me needs more provocative opinions - get more readers on the forums 8)

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:38 pm

Seems to me like having a ridiculous camparison / console wars article is just a sure fire way to really annoy 50% of your readers.

I dont want to be a loyal subscriber for years to be told the computer I loved growing up was actually inferior to the other one.. the one we would argue about at school..

Im sure there are people on the other side of the fence of course.. but if the pathetic spectrum gets loads of praise and the C64 'dissed' in comparison then it will leave a very poor taste in my mouth.

Its like comparing the Atari 2600 to the NES.. ridiculous. The speccy was great for home developers to get their first taste of game creation, but comeone people, take the rose tinted spectacles off please.. the games looked absolute gash... and the sound was non-existent..

Some games were better than the c64 counterpart due to some very poor efforts made by some programmers when doing the c64 ports (Rastan anyone?) but on the whole the spectrum looks like it is from a prior generation to the C64.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:43 pm

You know I might be lying about the C64 right? Or maybe it's a bluff, or maybe it's a double bluff.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:45 pm

retrojc wrote:Hey Darran why not let me write "Why I hate Street Fighter" 8)

Retro Gamer for me needs more provocative opinions - get more readers on the forums 8)
No offence, but if I want a Why I Hate Street Fighter article I could probably just find it on the internet.
Take your pick there are loads here :)
http://www.google.co.uk/search?client=s ... -gazsuzSAg

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:46 pm

ChipTune wrote:Seems to me like having a ridiculous camparison / console wars article is just a sure fire way to really annoy 50% of your readers.

I dont want to be a loyal subscriber for years to be told the computer I loved growing up was actually inferior to the other one.. the one we would argue about at school..

Im sure there are people on the other side of the fence of course.. but if the pathetic spectrum gets loads of praise and the C64 'dissed' in comparison then it will leave a very poor taste in my mouth.

Its like comparing the Atari 2600 to the NES.. ridiculous. The speccy was great for home developers to get their first taste of game creation, but comeone people, take the rose tinted spectacles off please.. the games looked absolute gash... and the sound was non-existent..

Some games were better than the c64 counterpart due to some very poor efforts made by some programmers when doing the c64 ports (Rastan anyone?) but on the whole the spectrum looks like it is from a prior generation to the C64.

There is not to my knowledge any multiplatform video game maagzine which has ever outrightedly said xxxx console is better than xxxx console. For the exact reason you've stated, why would any maagzine want to alienate 1/2 it's user base?

Hence why freelance opinion articles are the best route when you wish to add some form of flavour/ shift blame haha.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
retrojc wrote:Hey Darran why not let me write "Why I hate Street Fighter" 8)

No offence, but if I want a Why I Hate Street Fighter article I could probably just find it on the internet.
Take your pick there are loads here :)
http://www.google.co.uk/search?client=s ... -gazsuzSAg
Wasn't offering, it was an example etc etc

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:53 pm

Maybe it's a stalemate? As I said though, I think our readership is pretty mature and that they will see it as an article with interesting points of view from many developers. Both machines have their own strengths and weaknesses and even the blindest fanboy can see that. Luckily Retro Gamer doesn't have fanboys it has mature readers. Remember when the old Retro Gamer did a most overrated games of all time featured. It pretty much had every classic game you could think of and ripped them to pieces. It sparked debate, and then it was forgotten about.