From the forum question for Issue 33

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

thl

Post by thl » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:40 pm

Nearly all the Tekken games that was ported on the PlayStation 1 & 2 are absolutely amazing. Simply unmissable. :D

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:52 pm

I actually found the Tekken games to be easier to control with a PS pad rather than an arcade joystick. Unlike SFII...
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

thl

Re:

Post by thl » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:58 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:I actually found the Tekken games to be easier to control with a PS pad rather than an arcade joystick. Unlike SFII...
I haven't play the arcade version that often as I have to settle with the console conversion.

Mort

Post by Mort » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:33 am

Back to Star Wars, not a conversion but a better remake in all respects, Starstrike on the Spectrum! Pluses came out in 84 not 87 like to worse official release, The game zipped along with better graphics and the finale was better when the DeathStar was destroyed, huge chunks of it came flying towards you in what appeared at the time a random way.

Then Starstrike 2 came along and brought fast (for 86) filled vectors to the spectrum long before freescape came along, case rested

Erm and nearly forgot Dark Star less of a remake but a rewrite with achingly fast graphics (remember the tunnel run)
Blast another coupon missing, what`s on ebay!

GetDexter

Re:

Post by GetDexter » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:37 am

Mort wrote:Back to Star Wars, not a conversion but a better remake in all respects, Starstrike on the Spectrum! Pluses came out in 84 not 87 like to worse official release, The game zipped along with better graphics and the finale was better when the DeathStar was destroyed, huge chunks of it came flying towards you in what appeared at the time a random way.

Then Starstrike 2 came along and brought fast (for 86) filled vectors to the spectrum long before freescape came along, case rested

Erm and nearly forgot Dark Star less of a remake but a rewrite with achingly fast graphics (remember the tunnel run)
Hmm... don't think you can include Dark Star really.

However, now that you have brought it up... it was one of the first games I bought for my Amstrad and I agree - it was blisteringly fast and oozed playability. Also loved their wacky sense of humour on the menu options screens.

Wonder what happened to the guys at Design Design ?
As requested by the Tw@t himself - his account was Hijacked and has had a change of password.

Sorry Dexter!

paranoid marvin

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:48 am

Mort wrote:Back to Star Wars, not a conversion but a better remake in all respects, Starstrike on the Spectrum! Pluses came out in 84 not 87 like to worse official release, The game zipped along with better graphics and the finale was better when the DeathStar was destroyed, huge chunks of it came flying towards you in what appeared at the time a random way.

I loved the original SS , but could never get into the sequel-seemed a much slower game (though I don't doubt that it was a great technical acheivement for the machine)
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

thl

Re:

Post by thl » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:00 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:I thought the Speccy version of R-Type was far more playable than its arcade counterpart.An awesome technical achievement also
The PC Engine version of R-Type is very much near arcade perfection. Absolutely unbelievable. :D

chinnyhill10

Re: From the forum question for Issue 33

Post by chinnyhill10 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:37 pm

The Speccy version of Chase HQ. An unremarkable arcade game turned into a superb home conversion.

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:52 am

actually i can't think of any direct home ports i've played that improve on the originals, arcade games lived and died by their graphics and sound (which home machines had little chance of replicating), to attract attention and cash. gameplay came later if you were lucky...

i can suggest some that share the same name as an arcade machine but are completely different games, eswat and shadow dancer spring to mind, the megadrive versions where much better than their arcade namesakes.

i thought the hiryu sprite in the megdrive version of strider looked 'harder' and more dynamic than the arcade equivilent, and the music was more varied. the md version of ghouls and ghosts also had better music than the arcade machine but far worse visuals. :(

goatboy

Post by goatboy » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:00 am

'Planetoid' on the BBC Micro - my emulator doesn't run at full pace so I can't revisit accurately but at the time it felt far more intuitive than the Defender arcade controls. My being six at the time probably didn't help my arcade chances much...

chinnyhill10

Re:

Post by chinnyhill10 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:10 am

HEAVYface wrote:actually i can't think of any direct home ports i've played that improve on the originals, arcade games lived and died by their graphics and sound (which home machines had little chance of replicating), to attract attention and cash. gameplay came later if you were lucky...
Asteroids, as built into the Atari 7800, is far better than the arcade version.

Mic82

Post by Mic82 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:27 am

Time crisis cause it saved me a fortune

djcarlos

Which home ports were better than the arcade originals?

Post by djcarlos » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:26 am

Got to be Time Crisis on the original PlayStation....the reason I bought the mighty beast! Sod Tekken-bloody-2....at last I could roll around my living room commando style yelling "ave it you evil orange gits!" without getting strange looks. :oops:

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:58 pm

Mastertronic's Duck Shoot on the VIC-20 was better than Carnival. It was ducking superb!

Elgin_McQueen

Re: From the forum question for Issue 33

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:30 pm

Opa-Opa wrote:
Elgin_McQueen wrote:I don't see any rules.
Szczepaniak wrote:It's here again:

Which home ports were better than the arcade originals?

The clue is in the Question... ;)

Yeah I knew it didn't count, just couldn't think of anything.

I'd have to say New Zealand Story, although maybe not the graphics of the arcade, everything about the gameplay on pretty much any version was PERFECT. Can't believe there's never been a sequel.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.