Please vote: your favourite Rob Hubbard tunes

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Antiriad2097

Re: Please vote: your favourite Rob Hubbard tunes

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:31 pm

When do you want these for Craig? I could knock out a quick list, but I'd rather spend a little time with them and reacquaint myself with some of the tracks I don't know so well. Pretty confident the Sanxion loader will top my list, but the others really need some thought.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Dramagod

Post by Dramagod » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:19 pm

I think Hubbard made tons of brilliant melodies in many games. My favorites are:

Commando
Monty on the Run
Nemesis the Warlock
Hello. My name is La-li-lu-le-lo. Nice to meet you!

William S

Post by William S » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:42 pm

1.International Karate
2.Commando
3.Zoids
4.Warhawk
ImageImageImage

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:11 pm

Oh so many to chose from.....

Anyone that needs to listen to Some Hubbard magic, goto http://www.lemon64.com/ click on the games tab, change game title to musician and in the search box type Hubbard.......
You can click on each game and select listen to music....... Careful though, you may be there for a very long time as they are so bloody good :D

My top 5:

1. Delta (in game) - the best piece of computer music ever made on any system. ever.
2. Master of Magic - Brilliant piece that was so suited to the game.
3. One Man and His Droid - Loved this. Again fitting the game so well - the beat goes along with the animation of the main character.
4. Phantom of the Asteroid - I remember just pausing the game and sitting there listening to this with the C64 connected to my Ghetto Blaster!! :lol:
5. Spellbound - Haunting and fantastic! My mate had the speccy version and it was just so bland without the music. I whistled it - he got annoyed! :mrgreen:
6. Thrust - Amazingly missed from the Zzap review!! Awesom music (and can't be kept out of my top 5!!!!)
7. Rasputin - WOW! I know he borrowed some of this from a real classical piece - but it sounds so good on the C64. The game was awful - the music made it worth trying.
8. Monty on the Run - One of the best in-game tunes ever to grace a game - and the best music in a platform game to date. Love it.

There you go - my top 5 errrr 8

There are so many more brilliant Hubbard tracks though...........
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:23 pm

Monty On The Run - simply a great tune, fantastic distillation of the original (and the perfect remix needs to do it tango-like!)
Knucklebusters (I think it is the ingame tune?) - still haven't heard the perfect remix with synths and guitars in industrial style
Commando - (I had to load it up just now to listen to it) just a great tune and so fitting to the game, another reworked tune that really gets out the essence of it
Thrust - just great. too bad the game maimed the playback of it. also a bit industrial in style
Zoids - I guess the credits have to go to the original composers, but executed _so_ well anyway

Possible contenders are Dragon's Lair II (it just sounds so _medieval_ ), Delta in-game (really far out in space), Thing On A Spring (so cuddly&sweet it gives you toothache) - all of which matches the game itself amazingly.
Last edited by NorthWay on Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

garyliddon

Post by garyliddon » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:12 am

Some of my choices may reveal a slight bias :D

1. Delta (In Game)
2. Sanxion Loader
3. I-Ball
4. Knucklebusters
5. W.A.R.

Be really interested to know what Rob's top five would be :)

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:07 am

1. Flash Gordon – I think this is Rob's best piece in a “longer” format. Okay, at 6¼ minutes it's no more than a couple of minutes more than normal, and certainly not in the league of the Delta or Knuclebusters in-game tunes. But Flash Gordon strikes me as being a bit more complicated than either of those two, based as they were on ostinati; in Delta's case, it was straight out of the Phillip Glass school of minimalism and didn't really do a great deal for me. FG is a great deal more involved, in my view. What I particularly admire is the mix of two very different themes and the way the structure brings them together. It starts out with a straightforward heroic theme before cleverly, after a long pause, introducing that sort of mystical, sci-fi theme which we also hear in the likes of the Metroid games. The return to the earlier heroic themes is brilliantly paced and, better still, not repeated verbatim for the most part – the themes and harmonic patterns keep developing all the way to the end. To me, that's the hallmark of good awareness of musical development across a medium length structure, as opposed to the simple alternation of sections more typical of most of his other pieces, and popular music as a whole.
2. Bump, Set, Spike – there are two good tunes in this, but I particularly like the bouncy, compound-time one in A major (I think it's the theme for the beach volleyball rather than the one used for the indoor court). It's pretty straightforward really and a bit goofy, but has some classic melodic lines. And, musos, there are double sharps in the melody line latter on (where it goes into parallel 6ths - about 1:30-ish), and as a music geek that gives me the horn.
3. Zoids – with the graphics being rudimentary at best, it was really left to Hubbard to provide atmosphere for this game. With its slow pace, the theme has a certain relentless quality to it. I particularly liked the pairs of notes going from high to low – the ones that are introduced right at the start – when they come back in during the second melody [02:35 onwards] with a more harsh, metallic sound.

Strangely I have almost no recollection of playing any of those games very much. I just loaded them to listen to the music.

For the last two, I could pick any one of several tracks - Last V8, IK+, One Man and his Droid, Formula 1 Simulator, Kentilla, Phantom of the Asteroid … so I'll just stop at 3 ...
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

webding

Post by webding » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:58 pm

Did he do all the music for Commando? The main theme was amazing, but the high score tune was also top-notch.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:58 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:for now I was hoping to work up a list of favourite Rob Hubbard tunes
You should also have asked what game had the most appropriate/fitting music!

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:43 am

Easy question.

Master of Magic - Atmospheric, catchy and matched the game perfectly.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:24 pm

webding wrote:Did he do all the music for Commando?
He did indeed, and while his main piece is more or less a cover of the arcade game's tune, his sounds and arrangement are a lot better.

Thanks to those who've posted so far. If anyone else wants to, please do so.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Freespirit

Post by Freespirit » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:54 pm

I loved the c64 music and Rob Hubbard really pushed it to the edge.

1. Lightforce
2. Monty on the run
3. Crazy Comets
4. Warhawk
5. Delta (in game)

Miketendo

Post by Miketendo » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:23 am

I love Commando out of all of them. :)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:37 pm

I downloaded around 200 individual game tracks for this (though quite a few were just short ditties of a few seconds as subtunes for a given game), spent a week or so playing and replaying, whittling down to a final dozen or so.

I don't think there was ever any question about the number 1 spot, but I surprised even myself with the remaining places.

The top 5 (ask me again tomorrow and it'll be rejigged):

1 - Sanxion (loader)
This for me is Hubbard at his peak on the C64. It's complex and multi layered with that distinctive SID phasing sound on the instruments. At times it races, others it seems measured in pace, but each section hangs together and flows so well. If I knew more about music I could explain why this is so good but it doesn't need words, just listen.

2 - The Last V8
At first glance its an odd choice for a top down racing game, but it's mechanical (almost clockwork) backing track ticks away the time while the industrial sounds are perfectly matched to the wasteland you race through. Had it been attached to another game it may not have had the same impact. I can't help but feel there's a symbiotic relationship between the game visual, backstory and music with this one. I'd be very surprised to learn it was written in isolation from those elements.

3 - Warhawk
Another of those £1.99 games we bought just because we'd learned Rob had worked his magic on it. I'm not averse to a shmup, but nothing else about this game comes close to being as memorable as its soundtrack. That soaring synth lead is unforgettable and quite rightly the subject of many a cover version in the remix community.

4- Commando (high score)
Typically its the main theme from Commando that gets all the credit (and a smashing piece of 80s nostalgia it is), but for me it's the high score theme that really stands out. Following all the frantic action of the game we're suddenly treated to this little love song for our lost hero, reminding us of those he left behind. Its a relatively simple ditty from a technical perspective, but it touched me and continues to do so on every play.

5 - Crazy Comets
Unusually this isn't a track I have any nostalgia for, having not been impressed by the game and failing to recognise it was worth copying for the music alone. I only got my C64 around the time this was released so hadn't quite discovered SID music potential having come from a Spectrum beeper/Oric Zap background. Retrospectively I still think the game isn't up to much, but the soundtrack is fantastic. Weird sci fi echoey wobbles meet the arching comet sounds in a zippy ditty.

Other notable tracks:

Sanxion (title theme)
Long before The Apprentice, I initially thought this was a clever piece of Rob's. Years later I heard it in its true form and discovered it's from Profokiev's Romeo and Juliet. Let's not hold that against it though as its still a fantastically oppresive track. I still prefer Rob's version. There's something about that squelchy bass line as it stomps along, then along comes a little flute solo that softens everything. Beautiful. Weird choice for a shmup. I always wondered why the music was arranged the way it was in Sanxion, it seemed back to front to me - Profokiev seems more like loading music while the Sanxion Loader track is ideal shmup music.

Delta
Unlike Sanxion, I'd actually play this one and not just load it for the music. Unfortunately it came after Sanxion and that soundtrack has the edge.

Dragon's Lair II
A personal favourite as Dragon's Lair was the first C64 game I bought. Hubbard didn't do the music for that of course, but my soft spot for the game meant there was no way I was missing the improved sequel. Improved doesn;t quite begin to describe it - everything is ramped up, even so far as to make Dragon's Lair a playable game. Bizarrely the weakest sections were those that stayed true to the original. But we're here for the music and it does that well. Heraldic and heroic, it juxtaposes nicely with the barely competent Dirk.

Commando
If there could only be one track to summarise mid 80s gaming atmosphere, Commando would be it. Brash, noisy, clashing even with itself, its hugely nostalgic.

Lightforce
This was a Spectrum game for me, so I'm pleasantly surprised to find this as a bonus on the C64 version. Shame the game itself isn't quite as good as the Speccy.

Monty on the Run
I'm not a fan of the Monty games, but Stuck In D 80s cover of this track has me hooked.

W.A.R.
Somehow I ended up with both the pretty but miniaturised Spectrum version and the Uridium cloned C64 version of this game. Neither played that well, but at least we had a new Hubbard track to listen to.

One Man and His Droid
A quite fast paced track which seems odd for what's essentially a sheep herding game, but another essential budget buy. Good game once you get the hang of it.

Thanatos
Unusual in being one of a few slow tracks from Hubbard, I find this to be incredibly atmospheric. I'm not sure it says 'huge fire breathing dragon', but removed from the game its a lovely piece of music.

Thing on a Spring
Does what it says on the tin. Bouncy happy music for a bouncy happy game. Not a track I'd necessarily want to listen to outside the game (unlike Sanxion which is one of my most played pieces of music ever) but it is a perfect slice of videogame pop.

Master of Magic
Since the game itself didn't have much in the way of visuals, it was left to Rob to feed us aural atmosphere.

Phantoms of the Asteroid
Star Paws
Neither of these games are really known to me, but in playing back literally hundreds of tracks to review Rob Hubbard's work I found these. Star Paws in particular is a track I'll revisit. Its been on a few times this week, so I suspect it has that elusive staying power that could see it a permanent fixture on my iPod.

See also: Knucklebusters. Terrible game but only £1.99 so we bought it just for the music.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:49 pm

Good choices Ant.

Wasn't Knucklebusters a Melbourne House game released at full price? Or is my memory getting too retro?

Oh, I take it you have had a good listen to the Thrust music?
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/