Please vote: your favourite Rob Hubbard tunes

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Antiriad2097

Re: Please vote: your favourite Rob Hubbard tunes

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:21 pm

You're right, Knucklebusters was originally a full price game, but we waited for the rerelease by Ricochet having seen the Zzap review.

Thrust didn't make the cut for me I'm afraid, it just doesn't quite do it for me. Weird, since we played Thrust loads so you'd think it would at least get a nostalgia vote but its not even doing that. I've listened to it a few times this week and I still couldn't tell you how it sounds, its just not a memorable track for me.

There's a few others that I cut from my shortlist. Some were just errors in judgement when I was skimming tracks, others I just didn't think quite made it but might be worth listening to. This is what I cut from the post above:

Spellbound
Saboteur II
Sigma Seven
Thundercats
Arcade Classics
Chimera
I-Ball
Rasputin
Confuzion
Flash Gordon
Kentilla
Phantoms of the Asteroid
IK+
Trans Atlantic Balloon

Thundercats for example is a track I've a certain nostalgia for, but its quite repetitive. Arcade Classics has some horrible low bitrate sampling, but other parts work really well. Kentilla is a good track, but not quite good enough. Flash Gordon is let down by its leading theme - once you get past that the rest is quite good. Rasputin is fun as much for the story Ben Daglish tells as the music itself, though Mark's frantic attempts to keep pace with the C64 version is entertaining.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:16 pm

Thanatos. Its such a dreamy piece of music plus I'm pleased with my remix of it made available at RKO! :D

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:23 pm

1. Delta - The in-game theme : I can't think of another pure soundscape on an 8-bit game, certainly not to rival this. Rather than go with the usual formula for a game tune Hubbard pulled something completely different out of the hat for this. Oozing atmosphere and making the SID do things I didn't think it could, this has got to be the all-time greatest.

2. Monty on the Run - In-game theme : I think this was the first C64 game I ever played on a friend's brand new machine. We loaded it up and couldn't quite believe what our ears were hearing as we had only been used to the VIC-20 or Atari 2600 previous to this. A mammoth effort and with so many changes in theme and instrumentation within itself, it's a true masterclass in SID tunesmithery.

3. Crazy Comets : With the almost robotic sounding spot effects within the music itself it really felt like a true arcade machine was present in the front room. Great theme and really carried the slightly simplistic game
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:58 pm

Auf Weidersehen Monty
Monty On The Run
Sanxion loader
One Man and His Droid

in that order :D

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:51 pm

Thanks, everyone, for the input—much appreciated.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:38 pm

Is Auf Weidersehen Monty included? Isn't that done by him and Ben Daglish?
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Dominoid

Post by Dominoid » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:26 pm

5) Road Rash - Often overlooked this one as it's not on the 8 bits, but nonetheless, there's some really cracking music in here and it showed what the Mega Drive could do.

4) Spellbound - a Really evocative one this, it fits the desperate theme of the game perfectly

3) the Last V8 - another one with loads of atmosphere, always loved it, and it was probably this theme that kept me playing despite the game being actually near impossible to play itself.

2) IK+ - Thematically it fitted really well, it was a brilliant use of the SID chip and it was just a great piece of music in it's own right.

1) Monty on the Run - What can I say that hasn't already been said? this is one of the greatest pieces of SID music ever. It fitted the theme of the game, and it had so much going on. It's a complex, multi layered arrangement that clearly must have taken an inordinate amount of time to craft. It's just the perfect 8 bit theme, my personal favourite.

Whazeboo

Post by Whazeboo » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:26 pm

1. Knuckle Busters: Only discovered it in the Nineties when I was into Commodore 64 emulation. Atmospheric track that slowly builds up and lasts a couple of minutes.

2. Commando: Perfect marriage of music and hectic on-screen action.

3. Monty on the Run: Stayed in the first screen of the game and listened to the soundtrack over and over again.

TauLore

Post by TauLore » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:33 pm

Just soooo many. This man was a god when it came to audio on SID.

1. Human Race
2. Commando
3. Delta
4. Crazy Comets
5. Last V8 (128 version)
6. Thandercats
7. Knucklebusters
8. Spellbound
9. Sanxion
10. Invade-a-load (One man and his droid)

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:40 pm

I liked the one that went Beep, Beep, Beep... for the Spectrum ;)
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

PubZombie

Post by PubZombie » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:30 pm

Spellbound/master of magic for me, really went well with the games in a narrative sense. Commando was kewl also.
The Truth is but a Construct; empowering creator and subjugating consumer... "War is the continuation of 'politik' with the admixture of other means."

binatone; spectrum 48k; vic20; C64; Amiga; Sega MS; N64; GP2X, OpenPandora, IPad 3.

Waz

Post by Waz » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:01 pm

Where do you start with picking a few Rob Hubbard tunes? The answer: very bloody difficult. For me, there's also three distinct C64 eras of Rob: the early stuff, the middle greatest stuff and then the later years when samples tended to be far too commonplace in his tunes and he kind of lost his way a little there.

Also, even some of the tunes which actually were proven to be cover versions are also very good conversions in their own right - classic example here being Master of Magic, which of course is originally the track "Shibolet" by Synergy (I actually own the CD purely for the two songs off it which Hubbard covered) and to a lesser extent, Delta, which certainly for the in-game tune was very heavily inspired by Pink Floyd and Philip Glass, no bad thing of course.

So in order from 10 to 1, here goes:

10 - Gerry The Germ - Massively, massively under-rated in my view. The whole suite of tunes in this game just make perfect sense to me - lots of funky fun and plenty of happy bouncy songs, ironic considering the tune names in Rob's own music demo relates to the parts of the body that Gerry would go body popping in the game itself. Funky, bouncy and one that you need to have another listen of in conjunction with playing the game to make a lot more sense of it.

9 - I, Ball - As a massive Cabaret Voltaire fan and someone who owns the rare as hell CD of "The Covenant, The Sword and the Arm of the Lord" that has both tracks Rob covered here ("Whip Blow" and "I Want You") Rob did the Cabs justice by giving it a really edgy SID feel complete with spooky "ooos" in the opening section and some funky drums. Granted whilst not as dark as Whip Blow was, it still really shows what could be done with three voices in the right hands, and sounded suitably Industrial.

8 - Crazy Comets - An early Hubbard classic that sounded frenetic and fast at the same time, with many of Hubbard's trademarks present, do-doosh type snyth drum, blistering leads and such, but also allowing time for some manic space type effects to be littered throughout parts of the tune to give it that feeling of being a little bit crazy as well. The sequel Mega Apocalypse was like the 12" remix of the original tune, but for me just wasn't as good - I always go back to this and enjoy it more.

7 - Thrust - For a budget game, you had to have something to elevate it, and Rob's tune that played certainly was that. It had some really heavy and funky sounds which made you actually want to have the music on during play instead of just the title screen, along with some rather Eastern-inspired sounds as the tune progressed, and the drums with synth lead in the middle intermission really does break the tune down into each part. A storming effort, and one that Zzap! 64 mercifully panned on review because their copy was bugged...

6 - Delta - About possibly the closest the C64 game to progressive rock in an in-game tune, that's for sure. You can tell that the inspiration from Pink Floyd is early on in there, with plenty of sweeping chords and lots of dramatic voice changes complete with filters to give it that dark feel, before exiting into Philip Glass inspired territory with some heavy leaning towards the Koyaanisqatsi soundtrack, and listening to Delta against the DVD-Audio of the Glass original, you can clearly hear where it all came from. The epic feel of the tune didn't match the game though...

5 - Knucklebusters - This might divide a lot of people, but the seventeen minute in game tune really does sound epic in more ways than one, with at first things seemingly a little uneasy, before all hell breaks loose the further on you get in the tune, with it sounding more dark, more desperate and a touch more evil as each minute passes. It's hard to describe it as anything else but a classic case of where people would buy the game for the Hubbard music even if the game was a tad rubbish.

4 - Skate or Die - The only sampled tune in this list and one that got me playing the game even more than I would do, especially on disk. Rob even coded the music routine so that depending on if you had a PAL or NTSC C64, the music routine would be altered and so would play at the same speed (albeit with slightly different pitches, but that was all) which, when I discovered that, was almost a Holy Grail for me. (try both PAL and NTSC settings on the SID in HVSC, you'll hear what I mean) The tune really does rock with fast guitars, synth leads and would be perfect skateboard thrash to ollie to, let me tell you.

3 - Kentilla - Vastly under-rated in my view. Rob originally had this planned as more of an interactive soundtrack, where he'd effectively have the music changed to suit the part of the game you were playing, so that there'd be little pieces as you played through. A shame the time restraints meant it ended up being a twelve minute epic, but it still really works well in the context of the game and has a really mystical feel to proceedings, especially the more dramatic darker sections.

2 - Monty on the Run - granted, it's based in part on The Devil's Gallop from the old radio programme censored Barton, but it certainly has that wonderfully manic feel throughout. It has a middle section that builds up the drama slowly and then the end part which sounds like a violinist at full pelt getting quicker and quicker. In fact, you all need to check the Back in Time 2002 London bootleg where violinist Pascal Roggen nails the end part spot on - for me still the best live C64 cover version ever.

1 - Sanxion Loader (Thalamusic) - It's hard to explain just why the tune has such an impression on me and many others, but I think it's because it sounds a lot more like progressive rock in the way that the tune is structured, opening with a hookable riff, going into a middle section of a wonderful synth solo, and then really getting all out rocking later on before concluding with some edgy gritty bits. No wonder he re-recorded it on the first ever Zzap! 64 cover tape with proper synths!
Warren Pilkington (Waz)
Former contributor to Zzap! 64, Commodore Format and HVSC
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/zawtowers/
Twitter: @zawtowers

noobish hat

Post by noobish hat » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:13 pm

Commando's loading music, because it kept me obsessed for decades before I found out it's actually a SID version of Living on Video by the gloriously 80s Trans X. Quite what it had to do with the actual game, I'll never know.

Waz

Post by Waz » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:56 pm

noobish hat wrote:Commando's loading music, because it kept me obsessed for decades before I found out it's actually a SID version of Living on Video by the gloriously 80s Trans X.
This was the loading theme for quite a few games by the software company Elite (not just Commando), and it was in fact by Mark Cooksey, not Rob Hubbard. I have to say having heard it several times it did get stuck in the head!
Warren Pilkington (Waz)
Former contributor to Zzap! 64, Commodore Format and HVSC
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/zawtowers/
Twitter: @zawtowers

noobish hat

Post by noobish hat » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:09 pm

Waz wrote:
noobish hat wrote:Commando's loading music, because it kept me obsessed for decades before I found out it's actually a SID version of Living on Video by the gloriously 80s Trans X.
This was the loading theme for quite a few games by the software company Elite (not just Commando), and it was in fact by Mark Cooksey, not Rob Hubbard. I have to say having heard it several times it did get stuck in the head!
Ah, thanks for that. I don't think I ever had any other Elite games. I remember I used to do the real Living on Video at karaoke in Japan all the time for the giggles, and the lyrics were a complete mess on their system - "laser rays and purple skies" became "laser lays and burble flies". Mental!