Please vote: your favourite Rob Hubbard tunes

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

CraigGrannell

Please vote: your favourite Rob Hubbard tunes

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:20 pm

I'm working on a feature for Retro Gamer which will include a portion on C64 chip-tunes. More will be revealed at a later date, but for now I was hoping to work up a list of favourite Rob Hubbard tunes, as chosen by members of this forum. I'd therefore hugely appreciate it if people would list perhaps their five favourite Hubbard tracks in order, and also, if willing, offer a brief line of text saying why each was included.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

the_hawk

Re: Please vote: your favourite Rob Hubbard tunes

Post by the_hawk » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:39 pm

1. Auf Wiedersehen Monty - There is ALWAYS a part of my brain humming that tune.
2.IK+ It just suited the game perfectly.

These are the two that I remember, a quick google of what he's done & I'd have to list Thing on a Spring, Monty on the Run & One Man and His Droid.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

fgasking

Post by fgasking » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:41 pm

Some of my favourites have to be:

Delta in-game (Probably my overall favourite)
Sanxion loader
Zoids
Kentilla
Monty On The Run
One Man and His Droid
Spellbound
Zoids
Hunting and reporting on lost/unreleased games...

C64 - http://www.gtw64.co.uk
All formats - http://www.gamesthatwerent.com (Inc links for Amiga, PC, 3DO)
My blog - http://fgasking.wordpress.com

Kenz

Post by Kenz » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:40 pm

Here's my five penneth:-

5. Monty On The Run - One of Robs finest C64 tunes basically
4. Thing On A Spring - I still bounce around to that crazy drum solo!
3. Zoids - Conjures up images of marching Mecha that the game sadly lacked
2. Kentilla - Some sections of this track still give me the neck-prickles!
1. Sanxion Loader - Utterly killer tune from Rob. Awesome!

(Really wanted to include Commando & Master Of Magic in this list too!)
http://www.psytronik.net/ - New games for retro gaming systems!
http://www.binaryzone.org/retrostore/ - Binary Zone Retro Store!
http://psytronik.blogspot.com/ - Psytronik Software Blog now online!

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:58 pm

I love SID music so this is a tough call! After a little thought, here's an attempt at a top 5.

1. Sanxion Loader - Not sure what to say to summarise how brilliant I think this piece of music is. Not only does it come from the humble SID but it's also as an epic piece of music in it's own right. A perfect anthem.

2. Warhawk - I played Warhawk a lot just because of the music. It suits the game perfectly and is a great rockin' SID tune.

3. Commando - I loved this. Another case of the music encouraging me to play more. It's a nice cover of the arcade original, but it has more of edge of urgency about it making it, for me, better.

4. ACE 2 - A great piece of fast, SID rock. There's a hint of 'Highway to the Danger Zone' here but Rob Hubbard gave ACE 2 a harder edge than Kenny Logins ever could.

5. IK+ has a brilliant oriental theme tune. Again it suits the game perfectly and is a great piece of music, but it also demonstrates that Rob could get so much out of the SID and make his music diverse. This is probably one of the most instantly recognisable 8 bit tunes to the retro community.

mike_nz

Post by mike_nz » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:40 pm

My vote for Lightforce.

Can't believe no one has mentioned this one yet.
Although I think I remember being told that Rob was never that fond of the tune himself. Not sure why.

BTW - A little off topic, but mind.in.a.box have done a great version of this tune for those who are interested....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKSFFGIR41A

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:39 pm

Oh boy, there are quite a lot of good ones to choose from heh... and I'm leaving out about another five I could mention here... such as Thundercats, Skate or Die, Nemesis the Warlock, yes the Sanxion loader, IK+ and Knucklebusters.

5. Delta
Aside from the Philip Glass inspired main theme, there is the fabulous title track which appears to be much longer than it actually is, clocking in at a mere 75 seconds. Hasn't stopped countless people from remixing it though. Either way, it's best part about the game (yes, you guessed it, in the Marmite-like battle of Delta, I'm a hater heh).

4. Crazy Comets
Probably the track that brought peoples' attention to Hubbard. Could do with speeding up just a tad (something that Seth Sternberger does with his interpretation of the track) but it's a glorious, boppy, almost relaxing contrast to the frenetic action of the game itself.

3. Arcade Classics
When sampled sounds became more common, Hubbard finally got in on the act, and let rip with this guitar based headbanger of a classic. For two quid, the game was almost worth it for the music alone.

2. Thrust
And this game was worth far more than two quid, with or without music. With the heavy bass pounding away, it showed Hubbard could write infuriatingly catchy melodies to boot, in a variety of styles.

1. Monty on the Run
The daddy. When this appeared in 1985, it pretty much blew away every other SID ever made by that point, and demonstrated what could be done with the chip. It's fast, it's frenetic, and it was used in "I Wanna Be The Guy", giving it a whole other life to a new generation. And it still sounds absolutely wonderful 26 years on... the high score theme ain't too bad either heh.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

necronom

Post by necronom » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:31 pm

From best to almost best:

1) Monty on the Run - The almost relentless speed and incredible finale make this my favourite Rob tune. The high score table music it excellent, too.
2) Sanxion - I used to load this more to listen to the tune than to play the game. A fantastic piece of work.
3) The Last V8 - There's so much going on in this, and I love the simple bass over the manic background.
4) Thrust - I love the way it builds up and becomes an epic tune with several parts that all connect brilliantly.
5) Crazy Comets - This makes me laugh. I find the little noises inserted into it great fun and the end solo is brilliant.

Delta, Commando and Thing on a Spring were all nearly in there, too.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:58 pm

1)Monty On The Run-Managed to set a crackin pace and just felt like a real 'feel good' piece of music, seemed Rob had poured everything into it.

2)Commando-Just blew me away when i heard it and just felt 'right' for the game, could listen to as i let it it loop for hours.

3)Nemesis The Warlock:Slow building, but epic track.

$)Kentilla:Know original plan was for music to fit the location, but yet another Hubbard epic piece, never a big fan of text adventures as such, but would play this for hours, just to hear the track play from start to finish.Magical piece.

5)Master Of Magic-I found it spooky, and it just created the perfect atmosphere for the game and once again proved audio is often far more important a factor than cutting edge visuals, in terms of captivating the player.
Last edited by thevulture on Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

savva0122

Post by savva0122 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:58 pm

For me:

Master of magic: his best track just really haunting and suiting the game well. Usually the first .sid track Ilister to
Bump set spike: fantastic tune on the beach screen
Last v8: thought a great track
Thing on a spring: the one that started it all off
Kentilla: really absorbing track

yakmag

Post by yakmag » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:07 am

1. Crazy Comets - Took my 64 into school (when you had to do a 5 min talk). Mine was about computer music, loaded this up in class and belted it out to show what a professional coder could do!

2. Arcade Classics - Love this, on my YTS (remember them?) I was going on about how musically great the SID was etc, one of the other students had just bought an ST. He put on some tune which used samples etc (normal fare for 16 bit) So I loaded this onto a 64, they couldn't beleive it was a 64 music track!

3. Populous - Now correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Mr Hubbard do the music for this on the miggy? I recall that in the credits music was by Rob H...

4. Flash Gordon - This seemed to go on and on and on, brilliant!! Just went hand in hand with the game.

5. IK+ - As previously mentioned by others, quality music, suits the pace and game down to a T.

Dave300

Post by Dave300 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:09 am

1. IK+
2. One Man and His Droid
3. Warhawk
4. Sanxion Loader!
5. Spellbound

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:10 pm

Haven't got many C64 games (was and am a Speccy fan), but...

Monty On The Run. Quite simply one of the finest tunes I've ever heard from any machine let alone a humble 8-bit. Terrific pace, perfectly suited to the game - it imbues a feeling of actually being 'on the run', trying desperately to stay one step ahead of the chasing pack. Reminiscent of Gioachino Rossini's 'William Tell: Overture' in that the longer the tune plays, the more ridiculous it becomes (please don't mis-interpret ridiculous). Fabulous!
Last edited by Sputryk on Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:34 pm

Rob Hubbard did do the soundtrack for a few Spectrum games including Hydrofool and Heavy on the Magick. Obviously they're not really going to be suitable for a feature about SID music though.

RichL

Post by RichL » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:38 pm

1. Delta in-game
2. Sanxion Mix-E-Load
3. Phantoms of the Asteroid
4. Knucklebusters
5. Crazy Comets