Issue 97 Official Feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Gibberish Driftwood

Re: Issue 97 Official Feedback

Post by Gibberish Driftwood » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:45 pm

merman wrote:Ken didn't get a mention, but his predecessor Dim Dim did...
Oh, Dim dim must have been before my time. I started reading Zzap with issue 44.
Ken sent me.
Do the Kirby dance: (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')>

RichPT

Post by RichPT » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:11 pm

One of the best issues for a long time. why? because it has lots of articles i actually want to read. I have played and loved the Mario + Sonic games, but they have been done to death in RetroGamer (+ other retro mags/sections). Those articles and similar ones just make me switch off, but this issue was great. Please keep it up!

One big negative point - looking at the front cover, i was *really* looking forward to a making of on Strykers Run. instead it was just a 2 page article summarising the game, telling me stuff i already knew. When this game came out the graphics had a similar impact to Shadow of the beast on the amiga - they were amazing for the BBC!, and the fact that you could pilot helicopters even more incredible at the time. However looking at the screenshots you would just think it was a game just set in front of some pink mountains. why no pics of the enemy fortresses or the rundown town with the 'Rocky 24' poster?

Even more notable was this was a Chris Roberts game (you could type his name to run the cheat mode). He who went onto create the sucessful and much more famous Wing Commander games - this fact was never mentioned. And neither was the fact that if you ran it on a 128k machine (BBC Master) you got much better background graphics. Please can we have a proper Making Of article on this game. thank you :)

Nic Maminer

Post by Nic Maminer » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:05 pm

Cover tapes - interesting read, surprised not much mentioned on cover CDs of original retro mag too.

Frogger - currently dug up Konami Arcade Advanced # I did't know the Konami cheat worked on these games for modern remakes. Enjoying frogger update. Thanks :)

Joey

Post by Joey » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:39 pm

Well as I hadn't received this issue this week I took it that I had received all the issues after canceling my sub and have now moved over to the iPad edition instead.

Slightly cheaper and I don't have tons of back issues taking up space :)

JackBurton-Me

Post by JackBurton-Me » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:10 am

Looking forward to this one. Excellent festive cover and great to see the lesson has been learned from the non-festive December issue debacle of 2 years go.

Garry

Post by Garry » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:11 am

picked the issue up on thursday. great cover (gotta love that oli frey) and loved the zzap and covertapes articles (ah the glory days!).
also, my random comment about skyrim made it in the mag, made my christmas!
Happy Christmas to Darren and all the crew who put the mag together, can't wait for issue 100, with free covertape??

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:24 am

Garry wrote:can't wait for issue 100, with free covertape??
That would be awesome! Would it be a blank tape??
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Garry

Post by Garry » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:44 am

@greenberet79, probably just a demo of Skyrim or something

Wil

Post by Wil » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:22 am

Really enjoyed this issue. Although I'm big on all that Japanese console nonsense I much prefer reading about the '80s micro era so Zzap, covertapes and Antriad were right up my street. Great Oli cover, too. You know you'll have to get him to do ish 100, of course.

Eric

Post by Eric » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:25 am

Great issue with alot more 8-bitness about with the Cover Tape wars, Zapp 64(crash? always got them two mixed up - was ACU myself) and excellent front cover.
Was a little dissapointed when reading the star letter which has a nice MD1/MCD1/32X photo in it, to find out that the letter did not mention the sega machine. Still always nice to see the best looking console get a photo in the mag - I wonder if a 360 would fit inside the MC/MCD, that would make a great console mod.

Was never a Lynx fan has all handhelds were bit over priced for youngster back then. But read the Lynx article because the I really liked the title "The Lynx Effect". It mentions that Hard Drivin' was an ambitious port let down by clunky controls. What controls does it use? I have played all 8-bit ports, Mega Drive and Arcade(Xbox collection) and that all have difficult control methods.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:23 am

We used the Mega Drive combo because it's actually a switched machines with lots of buttons on the front. It wasn't until we were at print that I realised the modifcation switches had all been airbrushed out.

Eric

Post by Eric » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:45 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:We used the Mega Drive combo because it's actually a switched machines with lots of buttons on the front. It wasn't until we were at print that I realised the modifcation switches had all been airbrushed out.
In the Mega CD feature of the Hardware Handbook this shows a Mega Drive with the mod switches on it.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:34 pm

Eric wrote:... Zapp 64(crash? always got them two mixed up
Don't worry, you're in good company as the magazine somewhat incredulously gets it wrong too. Issues 93 and 94 of Retro Gamer referred to Crash as being a Commodore 64 magazine! :roll:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Eric

Post by Eric » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:23 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
Eric wrote:... Zapp 64(crash? always got them two mixed up
Don't worry, you're in good company as the magazine somewhat incredulously gets it wrong too. Issues 93 and 94 of Retro Gamer referred to Crash as being a Commodore 64 magazine! :roll:
There was never a Crash 64 magazine? I think I might have imagined that one! :D

Szczepaniak

Post by Szczepaniak » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:19 am

Kind of ironic that a magazine for the ZX starts with C, and the magazine for the C64 starts with Z...